2020-21 Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

C

Esteemed Member
M&A Bootcamp
Nov 7, 2019
if the interview description says that we're going to be answering questions based on the role we have applied for (the role being a vac scheme) - are we just meant to just prep answers on what we think the vac scheme will cover/the challenges it will present etc? or would it be better to tie it to the firm's TC structure? this kinda confused me

Andrew M

Legendary Member
Forum Winner
Jan 7, 2020
Been rejected by both Mishcon and Eversheds post-application. I feel so disheartened having applied in previous cycles and been able to get past the initial stages especially as I thought my applications were far stronger this cycle. Not sure how I can make my applications any better at this point

dead the office GIF
I do think that at least some of it comes down to luck, so I wouldn't be disheartened about it. If you keep creating opportunities, eventually you will succeed in taking one of them!

• 🤝
Reactions: RS134, cmaj, OB and 5 others

LJ96

Premium Member
Feb 29, 2020
I faced the same situation with an application, where I had to distill my “why law” response to very few words.

Here are two approaches that could help you:

1. Start your response from scratch. Adapting a longer response can be tougher because you might be “attached” to the stuff you previously wrote and find it harder to cut down. So, start with an outline with the most important pieces of motivation and best aligned competencies.

2. Adapt your existing responses. Look through all of your “why law” responses and all of your writing that talks about your competencies and skills. Think about which reasons and traits you have the most evidence for, what you find most important. Ruthlessly edit your text down. But be sure to give it to others as sometimes in the process of cutting things down, you might loose flow and important connectors. (Just make sure your writing makes sense!)

Writing really short stuff can be daunting as you are forced to really drill down to the core of your motivations. But that’s also what makes this exercise so great!

One of the best pieces of advice I got on “why law” was to not give a timeline and not tell a story. This advice, from Willkie, felt very counterintuitive for me as my writing style is very storytelling-driven. However, eliminating the “I did this, which led me to that” elements helped me really understand what was it that I liked about commercial law. I still link back to my experiences but I do so to illustrate the point I am making about my motivation.

Also, regarding your situation, I think it’s fine to have one key reason for “why law”. However, since the prompt talks about qualities in plural, I would go for a couple ones for that (or a super big over-arching one).
Thank you SO SO much. I have decided I'm going to try and give one compelling reason for why solicitor with solid links to work experience/ pro bono and then 2 qualities.

Back to the drawing board!

• Love
Reactions: Manifesting

M1999

Legendary Member
Nov 28, 2019
I don’t know where I’m going wrong for all these mid sized commercial firm apps. Rejection from mishcon, eversheds and SPB before even reaching the VI stage. Academics are good and my app was error free and stronger than other apps I got through to interviews on..? Maybe it’s because I haven’t had legal work experience, I don’t know honestly. Getting kind of sick of getting constantly rejected and not knowing why

Emily K

Valued Member
Premium Member
M&A Bootcamp
Dec 29, 2018
Been rejected by both Mishcon and Eversheds post-application. I feel so disheartened having applied in previous cycles and been able to get past the initial stages especially as I thought my applications were far stronger this cycle. Not sure how I can make my applications any better at this point

dead the office GIF

I really relate to this - just remember, we'll get there in the end and it'll be all the more rewarding when we do! Fingers crossed that you hear some better news soon :)

• 🤝
Reactions: Georgina Evans

Sebastian Clark

Esteemed Member
May 5, 2020

dead the office GIF
Feeling very similar - we’ve just got to keep pushing and trust the process. Average age to get a TC is 25 apparently so still plenty of time!

Bugsy Malone

Legendary Member
Commercial Writer
Junior Lawyer
Jun 24, 2018
Thank you! Do you think given that I only sent the email at around 2pm yesterday I should give them a while or just call them now (I don't want to sound pushy)
I would still try to call them today because otherwise you might be left worrying about it over the weekend but it's up to you. You could say something like you're just calling to follow up on your earlier email and making sure they'd received it.

Vesania

Star Member
  • Jan 11, 2021
    Hello everyone, I wanted to ask for your advice. Do you think it is too late to apply to Dechert and Sidley Austin now considering they're rolling basis, have been open for a long time and close on the 31st of Jan?

Thank you and good luck with your applications!

layla rose

Legendary Member
  • Nov 27, 2020
    Hello everyone, I wanted to ask for your advice. Do you think it is too late to apply to Dechert and Sidley Austin now considering they're rolling basis, have been open for a long time and close on the 31st of Jan?

I’d say go for it. I know someone who applied to Sidley on the deadline before and got through

Emily K

Valued Member
    Premium Member
    M&A Bootcamp
    Dec 29, 2018

I still plan to apply to Sidley! Might be a bit late, but I always think there's no harm in giving it a go, I'd regret it more if I didn't :) Good luck!

Reactions: Bugsy Malone

JayB

Legendary Member
    May 16, 2019
    Did anyone else start this app cycle with confidence and had some good results and now is getting rejected left right and centre at the first stage & is slowly but surely realising that you’re not going to get a vac scheme this year never mind a TC :)
    Sad Ice Cream GIF
    Just got rejected from Bakers post-AC, so yes that GIF represents me so well at the moment! Don’t worry mate, I’m sure there’s so many of us in the same boat. We will get there eventually.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.