2020-21 Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

AD2021

Star Member
May 22, 2020
Struggling to come up with an example of when I demonstrated resilience. The only thing I can think of is my disappointing AS results, but not sure it suffices.
I think that’s a great example. You could talk about how you took time to consider the reasons you didn’t achieve to your full potential and how you have implemented new practices and seen success from that.
You could also add that this has made you a resilient person meaning you’re always open to hear how a process could be improved and are agile and able to implement changes to foster success.

E.A

Legendary Member
M&A Bootcamp
Junior Lawyer
Dec 11, 2019
Hi all,

Has anyone heard anything from Mayer Brown post the grad rec interview? When I had mine, they said they'd get back to me in January and I am worried there is not much January left! Anyone have any similar issues? I assume with the new lockdown, they've had a lot to work out but do you think I should enquire? Getting pretty anxious now!

Thanks all
I had my telephone interview this morning and grad rec said ACs start second week of Feb all the way until end of March so we will hear back soon

MJ90

Esteemed Member
  • Jan 9, 2020
    Not trying to be a jerk here, but I see a lot of people saying 'I researched the firm so much/I attended their events/I put time into the application etc. Well truth is many, many, many applicants also do this! As Jaysen has repeatedly said, firms simply don't have the time/room to interview every good candidate, so just because you're being rejected there might be nothing 'wrong' with your application in actual fact. A recruiter could view yours at the end of a long, tiring day and just think- nope Im not reading that one, quite arbitrarily. Not trying to put a downer on anything, quite the opposite! This is often just a numbers game and there is a significant degree of luck involved imo so stay postiive people!🙌

Bugsy Malone

Legendary Member
    Commercial Writer
    Junior Lawyer
    Jun 24, 2018
    I'm also 26 and still intend on applying for a few more cycles, I've really been working on overcoming the whole age thing!
    Yeah I agree! It's definitely something which has worried me but I've met so many career changers who are older and ultimately it's worth investing this time on getting the career we really want! Fingers crossed for you :)

Reactions: cmaj and Rob93

JayC

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Junior Lawyer
    Jan 8, 2021
    Anyone else still not heard from Sullivan & Cromwell?
    I applied very early one. My application was put on 'hold'.
    There appears to be one or two people further up thread who say they've been invited to interview.
    I haven’t heard yet, applied about a week before the deadline and was put on hold

Gracey94

Jan 20, 2021
    Coming up on 28 here, only started considering law when I was 24. I've talked to people who entered the profession in their 30s. We all have time.
    Agreed! And you get people who went into law straight from uni and 3/4/5 years later quit and change into something else. This we’re the generation to be bold and brave and try different career paths and not be in the same job for 30/40 years

Reactions: cmaj and collie_121

JayC

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Junior Lawyer
    Jan 8, 2021
    Hi guys,

I'm still in shock but I have managed to secure a place on Linklaters Spring Vac scheme! Thank you for everyone who has made a contribution on this forum because it really did help. Now need to try and convert to a TC! Pray for me!!

Has anyone done the scheme before? If so how did you find it?
    Congratulations! Are they still conducting interviews? I never heard anything back after applying for their Spring Vac Scheme and passing the Watson Glaser

AH97

Esteemed Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Jul 30, 2019
    Struggling to come up with an example of when I demonstrated resilience. The only thing I can think of is my disappointing AS results, but not sure it suffices.

Have you ever worked in fundraising, or sales (even just ticket sales or something at uni), or something else where you had to reach specific targets and may have faced a lot of rejection in doing so?

21wajsz

Legendary Member
  • Dec 3, 2020
    After a loooong wait, got the rejection from DLA. Was waiting out hope since it was delayed, but oh well (still a bit disheartening, attended the Open Day also). I assume I passed the WG, is it worth emailing in for my test score? I did so for Hogan Lovells since some people in the forum had luck, and I did get the report!
    I'm so sorry to hear that! I think its worthwhile to email for your test scores! If you don't mind me asking, when did you apply for DLA and did the WG, It's been radio silence from them for a long time as well.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Does anyone know if it's beneficial to add Inside Sherpa / the Forage virtual to an application if it is for a different firm?

@Jessica Booker - any advice would be greatly appreciated!
    It will be better than not including it, but how beneficial it is is probably down to how it fits in with the rest of your application form.

Reactions: Rob93
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.