2020-21 Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

breadpitt

Esteemed Member
Junior Lawyer
  • Jan 21, 2021
    Haven't heard from DP but was told they were hoping to get decisions out today! First interview was a bit tougher, hard to tell if it went well but felt that I connected with the second partner! Fingers crossed buddy
    Haven't heard from DP but was told they were hoping to get decisions out today! First interview was a bit tougher, hard to tell if it went well but felt that I connected with the second partner! Fingers crossed buddy
    Thanks man! Let me know if you hear back. Good luck today

cmaj

Legendary Member
    Forum Winner
  • Sep 18, 2019
    Adding to the list of people talking about their age...I'm 32 and this is my first application cycle, having decided to make a career change. I fully intend to keep applying if I'm unsuccessful this cycle (as it's increasingly looking), I've come across people in their 30s and 40s who are trainees so we've all still got plenty of time :)
    I'll be 31 next month but I believe that birthdays don't count during a lockdown so I'll be sticking at 30. 😎
    I’m 30 and this is my second year applying. Law gets a lot of career changers / older applicants. I think it’s great!

Love hearing all of this!!!!!!!! Good on you all!!!!!!

MW110601

Star Member
    Aug 31, 2020
    Just wondering what everyone's thoughts are... I have already accepted a vac scheme offer that is for three weeks over June/July, and have now received a VI invite for another firm but just realised even if I am successful for this other firm, it would clash with the vac scheme I have already accepted so would not be able to accept it anyway. Should I just keep going with the application process regardless or should I email to say that I don't want to continue and feel the place should be given to someone else?

cmaj

Legendary Member
    Forum Winner
  • Sep 18, 2019
    Been rejected by both Mishcon and Eversheds post-application. I feel so disheartened having applied in previous cycles and been able to get past the initial stages especially as I thought my applications were far stronger this cycle. Not sure how I can make my applications any better at this point

dead the office GIF

Georgina, I sympathise with this so much. In my first year, I applied to three firms, got to AC for all three, and did a VS. Then in my second year, with all the experience I'd gained, I put every second into my applications over many months and got rejected by everybody! It's totally disheartening and you just think "but I have everything you've asked for, what am I doing wrong, maybe this industry isn't for me and the world is telling me no :(" However, you just have to pick yourself back up, keep building your experience until you have such detailed and specific reasons to you that nobody can turn you down, and get your applications checked by as many eyes as possible!!!! Fingers crossed for this year but there is no time limit on your career and ability. You can do this ❤️

collie_121

Esteemed Member
    Future Trainee
    Sep 30, 2020
    Im in the same position! I also applied on the deadline and haven't heard back - I'm guessing they review applications on a first come first serve basis maybe?

I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one and that would defo make sense that they're doing it in batches prioritising those who applied earliest first. There is still hope for us! :)

dosblancos7

Legendary Member
    Feb 16, 2019
    CMS Summer VS offer- did the AC earlier this week and got the offer a day later :)

Lovely new website design <3

Congrats to all that got Freshfields WG! To those that did, did you apply on deadline day/ near it? I applied in mid Dec- speculating if they're going through reverse order(hopefully meaning those who applied earlier still have a chance)

JayC

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Junior Lawyer
    Jan 8, 2021
    If you're on hold it's likely that you passed the threshold requirements - however most invites have been given out already (to my knowledge), but definitely still in it! Many people got rejected without the on hold email and i received an invite a month ish after getting "on hold"
    Congrats on your invite! When did you hear back about your interview? And what makes you say that most invites have been given out - do you know what order they are giving invites in?

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.