Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
Staff member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Premium Member
M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    Would highly recommend checking out our latest article in TCLA's Interview Series: https://www.thecorporatelawacademy....s-as-an-international-candidate-with-ds.3257/. I found this candidate to be very inspiring:

"Every single person’s journey is unique. No one is late and you are never too old to secure a TC. Never forget that people only ever talk about their successes and never their failures. Under my advice for TC interviews I said that there is some luck involved in the process. Some people are lucky on the first try, and others (like me) have to keep trying before the 1% of luck you need to cinch the 99% of hard work is finally on your side. So if you truly want this career for yourself, then never stop trying, because you never know when the tide will turn in your favour.

In hindsight, I am incredibly glad I didn’t secure the TC in second year. The 3x more success I achieved this year is the greatest testament to how far sheer determination and perseverance have taken me. I am also just going to enjoy my TC far more because I know I am at the right firm for me. I truly believe the right firm for everyone exists. It just takes some finding.

To end on an incredibly cheesy note, I want to share two of the most inspirational quotes that really rang true for me this year:

1. When you truly want something, and you truly work hard and give your all for it (sorry Paulo Coelho I definitely think this caveat applies to your original line) all the universe conspires in helping you achieve it.

2. If your journey is longer and harder, it is because your calling is higher."

Staples

Legendary Member
  • Sep 11, 2020
    Coming up on 28 here, only started considering law when I was 24. I've talked to people who entered the profession in their 30s. We all have time.
    Fellow 1993 here (guessing from your nickname) - applying as a non-law PhD candidate! This is my first application cycle and it’s been the most out-of-my-comfort-zone thing I’ve done in quite a while 😵

konanslan

Nov 25, 2020
    I did the Dentons telephone interview on the 6th Jan and have not heard back since. Saw on the forum that the firm aims to get back to candidates within 2 weeks post telephone interview. Should I email them on Monday and ask? Thanks for the advice!

Lily721

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
  • Oct 7, 2020
    I feel so drained of constantly checking my email and waiting for responses. How are people handling the wait? It feels firms are taking much, much longer this year.

What are your distractions? Netflix has been my friend recently but I think I might have to delete my email app....though I doubt it will be of much help.

Kelly_

Distinguished Member
    Nov 9, 2020
    I feel so drained of constantly checking my email and waiting for responses. How are people handling the wait? It feels firms are taking much, much longer this year.

What are your distractions? Netflix has been my friend recently but I think I might have to delete my email app....though I doubt it will be of much help.
    I totally feel the same! The waiting and refreshing emails is so draining and has definitely increased my anxiety. I try sometimes to put my phone on airplane mode so I don't get distracted as much during the day and if I am feeling too overwhelmed I try doing something that I really enjoy like reading or painting but also a fair bit of Netflix! 😂

Elle W

Valued Member
    Jan 12, 2021
    TLT AC invite. Ap sent 13th Jan, test completed on the 15th Jan. I had a gut feeling that I was going to get a rejection today so I'm really surprised!

Well done! Is the test the second stage?
    Guessing I'll have a PFO quite soon as I haven't even been sent a test. Quite annoying as they had so many questions on the application and I spent quite a long time on it.

Reactions: Ava B and Edward

PF'noooo!

Star Member
    Jan 19, 2021
    Hi guys.

My exams at BPP coincided directly with both the Winter and Spring Vacation Schemes at Baker McKenzie. This was frustrating as these schemes are targeted for graduates. As Baker McKenzie was one of my top firms and after a friend told me they recruit largely out of their VCs, I decided to apply for the Summer Scheme anyway despite it being aimed at penultimate year students.

This evening I received an invite to complete a WG for Baker after submitting my application back in November. Do you think that they have read my application and let it slip that I am not a penultimate year student (this is clear from my educational records). Or rather, they haven't noticed and will disregard my application once they are aware of this fact.

It's probably best I contact the firm anyway about this.

Disclaimer: I am new to this process, so if my questions seem a bit naive/silly, I apologise in advance!!

R203

Legendary Member
  • Dec 14, 2018
    Hi @Jessica Booker thanks for all your advice :)

Just curious, when firms, upon offering a Vac/TC, asks a candidate to submit all previous employments/internship experiences to be forwarded to an external security company for verifications and follow-up, what are the firms wanting to clarify?

Is it the specific experiences and work I did at the firms (which might be labelled as private & confidential)? Or just the general "whether the candidate really did intern there on this specific dates?" issue?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hi @Jessica Booker thanks for all your advice :)

Just curious, when firms, upon offering a Vac/TC, asks a candidate to submit all previous employments/internship experiences to be forwarded to an external security company for verifications and follow-up, what are the firms wanting to clarify?

Is it the specific experiences and work I did at the firms (which might be labelled as private & confidential)? Or just the general "whether the candidate really did intern there on this specific dates?" issue?
    Generally confirming the dates of employment, your job title, and also in terms of academics, that you have achieved the grades you said you did.

Jessica444

Star Member
    Sep 3, 2020
    Hi guys.

My exams at BPP coincided directly with both the Winter and Spring Vacation Schemes at Baker McKenzie. This was frustrating as these schemes are targeted for graduates. As Baker McKenzie was one of my top firms and after a friend told me they recruit largely out of their VCs, I decided to apply for the Summer Scheme anyway despite it being aimed at penultimate year students.

This evening I received an invite to complete a WG for Baker after submitting my application back in November. Do you think that they have read my application and let it slip that I am not a penultimate year student (this is clear from my educational records). Or rather, they haven't noticed and will disregard my application once they are aware of this fact.

It's probably best I contact the firm anyway about this.

Disclaimer: I am new to this process, so if my questions seem a bit naive/silly, I apologise in advance!!
    The summer scheme is also open to graduates so your progression is absolutely valid! Well done and good luck 😊

• 🤝
    Reactions: OB and collie_121

Adrian_Healey

Esteemed Member
    Future Trainee
    Junior Lawyer 14
  • Oct 18, 2020
    Fellow 1993 here (guessing from your nickname) - applying as a non-law PhD candidate! This is my first application cycle and it’s been the most out-of-my-comfort-zone thing I’ve done in quite a while 😵
    I’m a STEM DPhil (1997) so I get what you mean! This is my second cycle so I can say from experience it gets better :) (Also our flexible schedules give us more time to prepare for applications than other students haha, you’ll be fine)

Reactions: Staples and OB

PF'noooo!

Star Member
    Jan 19, 2021
    The summer scheme is also open to graduates so your progression is absolutely valid! Well done and good luck 😊
    That is the best news I have heard all day! (Been a tough week with many mistakes!!) Did you hear this from Grad recruitment that its open to graduates? As on the top of the application form it states...

'The Summer scheme is open to penultimate year students or those on the second year of a four year course. Please confirm that you fall into one of these categories'

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.