2020-21 Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

corplaw0702

Esteemed Member
Oct 15, 2020
That is the best news I have heard all day! (Been a tough week with many mistakes!!) Did you hear this from Grad recruitment that its open to graduates? As on the top of the application form it states...

'The Summer scheme is open to penultimate year students or those on the second year of a four year course. Please confirm that you fall into one of these categories'
I went to their open day in November and they said it didn't matter, it should be completely fine

Reactions: PF'noooo!

Andrew M

Legendary Member
Forum Winner
Jan 7, 2020
I feel so drained of constantly checking my email and waiting for responses. How are people handling the wait? It feels firms are taking much, much longer this year.

What are your distractions? Netflix has been my friend recently but I think I might have to delete my email app....though I doubt it will be of much help.
The best way is just not to check your emails more than once or twice a day. You won't get an invite/rejection any quicker by not checking your emails. And you're only going to become frustrated or anxious.

Reactions: Lily721

lozza_2

Distinguished Member
Nov 25, 2019
Hi guys.

My exams at BPP coincided directly with both the Winter and Spring Vacation Schemes at Baker McKenzie. This was frustrating as these schemes are targeted for graduates. As Baker McKenzie was one of my top firms and after a friend told me they recruit largely out of their VCs, I decided to apply for the Summer Scheme anyway despite it being aimed at penultimate year students.

This evening I received an invite to complete a WG for Baker after submitting my application back in November. Do you think that they have read my application and let it slip that I am not a penultimate year student (this is clear from my educational records). Or rather, they haven't noticed and will disregard my application once they are aware of this fact.

It's probably best I contact the firm anyway about this.

Disclaimer: I am new to this process, so if my questions seem a bit naive/silly, I apologise in advance!!
I am a graduate and received a WG invite too. The summer scheme is open to graduates as well so I wouldn’t worry about it!

Reactions: OB and PF'noooo!

HorsesForCoursesNeighNeighNeigh

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Premium Member
Forum Winner
M&A Bootcamp
Dec 1, 2020
I feel so drained of constantly checking my email and waiting for responses. How are people handling the wait? It feels firms are taking much, much longer this year.

What are your distractions? Netflix has been my friend recently but I think I might have to delete my email app....though I doubt it will be of much help.

I completely know what you mean! I've just made a new thread about this, because it's honestly affecting my ability to get work done. I'm setting up an Application Anonymous 6pm club--check once per day, at 6pm! Fancy joining me in this?

GK8997

Legendary Member
M&A Bootcamp
Sep 25, 2020
Hi guys.

My exams at BPP coincided directly with both the Winter and Spring Vacation Schemes at Baker McKenzie. This was frustrating as these schemes are targeted for graduates. As Baker McKenzie was one of my top firms and after a friend told me they recruit largely out of their VCs, I decided to apply for the Summer Scheme anyway despite it being aimed at penultimate year students.

This evening I received an invite to complete a WG for Baker after submitting my application back in November. Do you think that they have read my application and let it slip that I am not a penultimate year student (this is clear from my educational records). Or rather, they haven't noticed and will disregard my application once they are aware of this fact.

It's probably best I contact the firm anyway about this.

Disclaimer: I am new to this process, so if my questions seem a bit naive/silly, I apologise in advance!!
Hiya, so Baker McKenzie says that even though the scheme is aimed at penultimate year students it is not exclusively for these students. They will still review your application in the same way regardless: I was an LPC student at BPP last year when I applied for Bakers and made it to the AC. At an open day they said the rationale behind the scheme being aimed at penultimate students is that these students would have more results by the end of the year i.e. summer while grads already have all their results so can apply for spring.

Reactions: OB

PF'noooo!

Star Member
Jan 19, 2021
Hiya, so Baker McKenzie says that even though the scheme is aimed at penultimate year students it is not exclusively for these students. They will still review your application in the same way regardless: I was an LPC student at BPP last year when I applied for Bakers and made it to the AC. At an open day they said the rationale behind the scheme being aimed at penultimate students is that these students would have more results by the end of the year i.e. summer while grads already have all their results so can apply for spring.
Fantastic, thank you!

Lumree

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Highest Rated Member
Junior Lawyer
  • Jan 17, 2019
    Anyone else have law-student fatigue? Between exams, jobs, extra curriculars, applications and PFOs I’m genuinely... drained?? Any tips on how to snap out of it?
    Take a break! Try to take a guilt free weekend off. If you’re anything like me you might struggle with the guilt free part but it’s important to reset when you can! It’s better to take a day or two off instead of only putting half your effort into work/applications etc because you’re on the cusp of burnout

HorsesForCoursesNeighNeighNeigh

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Premium Member
    Forum Winner
    M&A Bootcamp
    Dec 1, 2020

Ricky

Legendary Member
    2020 Community Winner
    Sep 16, 2018
    If anyone has done the Willkie VI I would really really appreciate any advice on how to prepare or insight you can give me! Really wasn't expecting to get this far having had 4 rejections from other firms this week!
    Feel free to message me directly 😊

Check the other threads/my posts.

• ℹ️
    Reactions: NSinger
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.