2020-21 Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Holly

Legendary Member
Forum Winner
Nov 23, 2019
Anyone heard from simmons post VI for summer? Ive been waiting since Nov and am worried that they've lost my app or something! should I email them to check?

I did mine in December and still haven't heard anything!

I have only seen a few AC invites (and Im not sure if they were spring or summer). We must be sooo good that they can’t make a decision!! 😂

Positive thoughts only!! 😅

GK8997

Legendary Member
M&A Bootcamp
Sep 25, 2020
@Jessica Booker following on from a previous post regarding a firm asking for employment details- what do you do if you completed informal work experience/ the place you worked for has now closed down? I have volunteering experience abroad/ informal legal work experience where I don't have a reference or a follow on number for a reference and I worked as a marketing representative at a restaurant that is now closed and I am worried that this will jeopardise my chances or make it look like I am lying when in reality it is just that I don't have personal contact details for these work experiences? What would be the protocol in a situation like this/ would this completely ruin my chances?

whisperingrock

Legendary Member
Forum Winner
  • Sep 12, 2020
    @Jessica Booker following on from a previous post regarding a firm asking for employment details- what do you do if you completed informal work experience/ the place you worked for has now closed down? I have volunteering experience abroad/ informal legal work experience where I don't have a reference or a follow on number for a reference and I worked as a marketing representative at a restaurant that is now closed and I am worried that this will jeopardise my chances or make it look like I am lying when in reality it is just that I don't have personal contact details for these work experiences? What would be the protocol in a situation like this/ would this completely ruin my chances?
    I'm going through a screening right now and they seemed to be alright with digital payslips I received by email as proof I worked there when they didn't get an answer from somebody.

GK8997

Legendary Member
    M&A Bootcamp
    Sep 25, 2020
    I'm going through a screening right now and they seemed to be alright with digital payslips I received by email as proof I worked there when they didn't get an answer from somebody.
    I didn't actually get paid for any of these experiences as they were voluntary and they were arranged through the phone or an email (my Leicester University email), which is now closed down as I have left university. I am semi panicking on how I will provide proof of this work experience now. Also, I booked some of my work experience through an agency called Syft were you can book shifts at different restaurants etc but when I log onto the app now my details have been erased (I think as it has been over a year) would payslips for this be enough?

rebeccawkelly

Jan 4, 2021
    Take a break! Try to take a guilt free weekend off. If you’re anything like me you might struggle with the guilt free part but it’s important to reset when you can! It’s better to take a day or two off instead of only putting half your effort into work/applications etc because you’re on the cusp of burnout
    You’re so right I’ve been tryna work through burnout for months I feel like my body has finally given in and said time for a break😂 thank you, I think a week off exclusively binging Netflix is very much needed

SouffléSouffléSoufflé

Valued Member
    Future Trainee
    Mar 17, 2020
    Well done! Is the test the second stage?
    Guessing I'll have a PFO quite soon as I haven't even been sent a test. Quite annoying as they had so many questions on the application and I spent quite a long time on it.

Thank you! I did an application form, then a test. They probably are just making their way through lots of applications at the moment. Hopefully you'll hear back soon :)

Jacob Miller

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Forum Team
  • Feb 15, 2020
    Anyone else have law-student fatigue? Between exams, jobs, extra curriculars, applications and PFOs I’m genuinely... drained?? Any tips on how to snap out of it?
    As others have suggested, take a little while off.

When I feel this coming on, I generally try and take an afternoon (or just an evening if I'm totally slammed) away from everything. Turn my monitors off, stick my phone on Don't Disturb, take my fiancée out to lunch or go shopping with her (hah, remember when that was a thing?!) or just take a walk, in the evening just chill out and watch Netflix/ play the PS4/ get a JustEat etc... basically, anything other than work stuff. A bottle of decent red may or may not be involved (what can I say, it's the Glaswegian in me)...
    I also try and get at least 7/8 hours (I normally sleep 3.5-4.5 hours a night)and then I'm usually good to go for another good while.

Seriously though, take a while to chill. Hope you're feeling better soon :)

rebeccawkelly

Jan 4, 2021
    As others have suggested, take a little while off.

When I feel this coming on, I generally try and take an afternoon (or just an evening if I'm totally slammed) away from everything. Turn my monitors off, stick my phone on Don't Disturb, take my fiancée out to lunch or go shopping with her (hah, remember when that was a thing?!) or just take a walk, in the evening just chill out and watch Netflix/ play the PS4/ get a JustEat etc... basically, anything other than work stuff. A bottle of decent red may or may not be involved...
    I also try and get at least 7/8 hours (I normally sleep 3.5-4.5 hours a night)and then I'm usually good to go for another good while.

Seriously though, take a while to chill. Hope you're feeling better soon :)
    Thank you so much!! Yeah reducing screen time (and alcohol) helps a lot, just wish I could like *see* people I guess😂 thanks I’m sure it’ll pass soon

Jacob Miller

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Forum Team
  • Feb 15, 2020
    Thank you so much!! Yeah reducing screen time (and alcohol) helps a lot, just wish I could like *see* people I guess😂 thanks I’m sure it’ll pass soon
    This lockdown has been particularly brutal, if I didn't live with my fiancée I think I would just about have gone daft being locked up in the house all the time!

Reactions: rebeccawkelly

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    You will probably be asked to provide other evidence. Either getting a reference from someone you worked with, payslips, employment contract confirmations (eg documents/payslips/ payments into your bank). Any emails confirming the work could also work.

It’s likely with voluntary roles they won’t even ask for a reference though.

happygoluckyyy

• Nov 6, 2020
    Anyone heard from simmons post VI for summer? Ive been waiting since Nov and am worried that they've lost my app or something! should I email them to check?
    Hey! Simmons apparently didnt even recieve my VI so I emailed them and then launchpad resent it/ they manually found it I'm not sure but they had withdrawn my app even tho i did my VI.

It is worth checking if you've rcvd something from them saying they haven't got your VI! just to save u the stress I went through haha

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.