2020-21 Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Naomi U

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Forum Team
Dec 8, 2019
does anyone know how to approach if the last question in a video interview asks "do you have anything else to add"?
I think it depends what you have already been asked or mentioned. You could use this to discuss any interests or motivations in further detail that you perhaps felt you didn't get time too before.

(assuming you mean an automated virtual interview)

Reactions: C

Andrew M

Legendary Member
Forum Winner
Jan 7, 2020
I have just completed VI's for both SPB and Eversheds! I feel like neither went terribly but my mind did go black halfway through one of the Evershed's questions so I think I paused for what felt like forever but think it was only about 5 seconds in reality 😩
One after the other? Brave! Good luck - I hope at least one of them gets you to the next stage :)

Naomi U

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Forum Team
Dec 8, 2019
I have just completed VI's for both SPB and Eversheds! I feel like neither went terribly but my mind did go black halfway through one of the Evershed's questions so I think I paused for what felt like forever but think it was only about 5 seconds in reality 😩
Well done- back to back must have been hard!

Best of luck, hopefully you can have a bit of a rest now ☺️

• 🤝
Reactions: MW110601

Dheepa

Legendary Member
Staff member
Future Trainee
TCLA Moderator
Premium Member
Forum Team
M&A Bootcamp
Junior Lawyer 43
  • Jan 20, 2019
    Agreed with what everybody here has said! I would also add - try not to over prepare. You want to show them your natural self so make sure you have a relaxing week in the lead up to the AC :)

On a separate note, Dheepa I would LOVE your feel good music recommendations. I don't know if there's a thread on here for 'unwind resources' but it would be FAB to collate everyone's suggestions into one and to get a TCLA playlist going for feel good music!

Okay I know nobody asked for a list this detailed but I went through my playlists and realised I couldn't just pick one or two artists or songs so here I am giving you a full breakdown of every pick me up/hype me up/motivational/inspirational song I love. I also love the thread idea and it's been an idea I've been sitting on myself for quite some time. I've got some motivational podcast and TedTalk recommendations too so will definitely look into making a huge thread with everyone's recommendations

Disclaimer: Most of these are rap/trap/hip-hop because that's what I listen to predominantly so if anyone looks at this and thinks I have trash music taste, I probably do but it's my trash and I love it anyway

1. Live your Life, T.I ft Rihanna - Rihanna telling you you’re going to be a shining star? How can you disagree with that?!

2. The Show Goes On, Lupe Fiasco - This whole song is filled with some of the most motivational stuff I’ve ever heard. My personal favourite: “I was once that little boy terrified of the world now I’m on a world tour" (Me imagining myself on secondment 😅 )

3. American Boy, Kanye - For all of you chasing that American firm private equity bag

4. Vivr Mi Vida, Marc Antony - Wish I understood all the lyrics but this was my go to hype song before interviews

5. Forever, Drake - Another go to pre-interview hype song. “Last name ever, first name greatest" = The energy we all need walking into interviews.

6. Written in the Stars, Tinnie Tempah - “Used to be the little kid that no one cared about, so you gotta keep screaming till they hear you out” (Me applying to the same firms after being rejected 9999 times before :rolleyes:)

7. Better Now, Post Malone - He’s singing about an ex but I’ve had law firm rejections that sting worse (only semi-joking here 😶)

8. Congratulations, Post Malone

9. Stronger, Kanye

10. All of the Lights, Kanye

11. Dancing in the Moonlight, Toploader - The ultimate feel good song, change my mind I dare you.

Last edited:

anon101

Distinguished Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Oct 2, 2020
    Okay I know nobody asked for a list this detailed but I went through my playlists and realised I couldn't just pick one or two artists or songs so here I am giving you a full breakdown of every pick me up/hype me up/motivational/inspirational song I love. I also love the thread idea and it's been an idea I've been sitting on myself for quite some time. I've got some motivational podcast and TedTalk recommendations too so will definitely look into making a huge thread with everyone's recommendations

Disclaimer: Most of these are rap/trap/hip-hop because that's what I listen to predominantly so if anyone looks at this and thinks I have trash music taste, I probably do but it's my trash and I love it anyway

1. Live your Life, T.I ft Rihanna - Rihanna telling you you’re going to be a shining star? How can you disagree with that?!

2. The Show Goes On, Lupe Fiasco - This whole song is filled with some of the most motivational stuff I’ve ever heard. My personal favourite: “I was once that little boy terrified of the world now I’m on a world tour" (Me imagining myself on secondment 😅 )

3. American Boy, Kanye - For all of you chasing that American firm private equity bag

4. Vivr Mi Vida, Marc Antony - Wish I understood all the lyrics but this was my go to hype song before interviews

5. Forever, Drake - Another go to pre-interview hype song. “Last name ever, first name greatest" = The energy we all need walking into interviews.

6. Written in the Stars, Tinnie Tempah - “Used to be the little kid that no one cared about, so you gotta screaming till they hear you out” (Me applying to the same firms after being rejected 9999 times before :rolleyes:)

7. Better Now, Post Malone - He’s singing about an ex but I’ve had law firm rejections that sting worse (only semi-joking here 😶)

8. Congratulations, Post Malone

9. Stronger, Kanye

10. All of the Lights, Kanye

11. Dancing in the Moonlight, Toploader - The ultimate feel good song, change my mind I dare you.
    This looks so good! Looking forward to the TedTalk recommendations too!! Maybe time for a TCLA YouTube/Spotify playlist? 🤩

Kablahc

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Forum Winner
  • Aug 31, 2020
    Hey guys, this isn't directly about a law firm but I was wondering if anyone has had VIs on the Cognisess platform with any firms?
    I tried to do a VI this morning for a non-law grad scheme with a really big city corporation and it completely broke for me, like wouldn't detect my microphone or camera or ANYTHING. I was just sitting there looking exactly like my profile picture lol. I emailed the recruitment but since I've seen the questions kind of wondering whether I'll be able to retake it. Has anyone else had a similar problem or used Cognisess before?

Dheepa

Legendary Member
    Staff member
    Future Trainee
    TCLA Moderator
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    M&A Bootcamp
    Junior Lawyer 43
  • Jan 20, 2019
    Hey guys, this isn't directly about a law firm but I was wondering if anyone has had VIs on the Cognisess platform with any firms?
    I tried to do a VI this morning for a non-law grad scheme with a really big city corporation and it completely broke for me, like wouldn't detect my microphone or camera or ANYTHING. I was just sitting there looking exactly like my profile picture lol. I emailed the recruitment but since I've seen the questions kind of wondering whether I'll be able to retake it. Has anyone else had a similar problem or used Cognisess before?

Can you contact the recruitment team? I'd do so ASAP. Maybe @Jessica Booker can give you some more information.

Reactions: Kablahc

Kablahc

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Forum Winner
  • Aug 31, 2020
    Can you contact the recruitment team? I'd do so ASAP. Maybe @Jessica Booker can give you some more information.
    Yeah, i've done so but not sure how responsive they'll be - I've not got much experience applying to large firms/corps so not sure how much they'll do for an individual candidate out of 1000s who *might* have the chance to pass the VI!

Adrian_Healey

Esteemed Member
    Future Trainee
    Junior Lawyer 14
  • Oct 18, 2020
    Had a similar problem with a VI platform (not sure if it’s the same), have you tried using chrome instead of Safari?

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.