2020-21 Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Els

Standard Member
Nov 3, 2020
Just for info, I have today received an email from Reed Smith stating that they are still in the process of reviewing research q answers and thanking me for my patience. It also states that if successful at this stage, Vacation Scheme interviews will be taking place w/c 15th & 22nd February.
I also got the same email! Hopefully the waiting game pays off for us all :)

mch16

• May 3, 2020
    I also got the same email! Hopefully the waiting game pays off for us all :)
    Is this regarding the spring VS? I received an email from GR stating they will send me the research Qs for the Summer VS at the end of January due to the "unprecedented number of Spring VS" applications. Hopefully, you will be getting invites in the next week or two.

Matt_96

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
  • Dec 15, 2018
    Just for info, I have today received an email from Reed Smith stating that they are still in the process of reviewing research q answers and thanking me for my patience. It also states that if successful at this stage, Vacation Scheme interviews will be taking place w/c 15th & 22nd February.

Has anyone received the second set of questions at all? I did the first bit and passed the online test but have heard absolutely nothing since. I remember them saying they'd be back in touch with the next questions by the end of the month though.

AH97

Esteemed Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Jul 30, 2019
    I had an AC with Macfarlanes in the last couple weeks.

They stated at the AC they had 1500 applications and interview 25% of candidates. By my maths that's 375 interviewees for 55 places on a VS (14-15% chance), a bit beyond the 1/2 or 1/3 ratios that in my experience most other firms have going into an interview.

Can anyone confirm this or have I missed something?

Honestly I am not really someone to get too stuck into % of offers/interview as there's a lot more to it, but felt it was worth mentioning/clarifying – perhaps that is or has been the norm for a lot of firms now. I was under the impression that it was higher.

Thanks

If this is the case, I find it v difficult to process that I was actually successful... For anyone with upcoming a Macfarlanes AC, please don't let the numbers stress you out because if I can do it, you 100% can!

Anyone who has an upcoming Macfarlanes AC, feel free to message me with any questions x

Yuqi1226

Jan 14, 2021
    Thank you! I honestly don't know how I passed it. My report basically says I am self-centred, short sighted and willing to create conflict :(

I remember the Gradrec lady said at the Open Day that they are not looking for a specific type of candidate. Instead, they want a wide range of personalities. So my advice to you is to be yourself in the game. Good luck!
    Thank you so much for your reply. It really helps! Good luck with your AC!!

Nathan Hayes

Star Member
    Dec 18, 2020
    If this is the case, I find it v difficult to process that I was actually successful... For anyone with upcoming a Macfarlanes AC, please don't let the numbers stress you out because if I can do it, you 100% can!

Anyone who has an upcoming Macfarlanes AC, feel free to message me with any questions x
    I applied just before Christmas for the vacation scheme and still haven’t heard anything but I’ve seen on here and LinkedIn etc that people have had ACs already. I’m aware the firm recruits on rolling basis but it doesn’t even look like I will know before the deadline when I applied well in advance.

Els

Standard Member
    Nov 3, 2020
    Is this regarding the spring VS? I received an email from GR stating they will send me the research Qs for the Summer VS at the end of January due to the "unprecedented number of Spring VS" applications. Hopefully, you will be getting invites in the next week or two.
    Yes, I applied for the Spring Vacation Scheme back in November - once you get the research questions for the Summer VS, feel free to message and I'll try to help as best as I can :)

Reactions: mch16

AH97

Esteemed Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Jul 30, 2019
    I applied just before Christmas for the vacation scheme and still haven’t heard anything but I’ve seen on here and LinkedIn etc that people have had ACs already. I’m aware the firm recruits on rolling basis but it doesn’t even look like I will know before the deadline when I applied well in advance.

I applied 22nd November, was invited on 23rd December to an AC on 7th January (the first AC). As far as I'm aware there's only been 2 or 3 ACs and they're doing them until March, so there's still plenty of time to be invited!

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.