2020-21 Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

gilo

Star Member
Premium Member
Jul 27, 2020
I think you could perhaps use this case as evidence of your justifications for why you like litigation/arbitration e.g. the complex/problem-solving nature of the cases, how you have to come up with a strategy and then continually adapt/adjust so that you can allow your client to achieve the best result possible etc. Otherwise, if it doesn't really fit in to your reasoning/feels a bit forced then it's good commercial awareness to have in this practice area :)
No that's good thanks - some nice ideas as well for future apps

Reactions: Daniel Boden

aspiringsolicitor000

M&A Bootcamp
Oct 22, 2020
Has anyones WG test stopped working midway. I am currently having this issue and don't know how to fix it. Can someone help me the deadline to complete is tomorrow and I doubt grad recruitment will see my email by then :(

Edit: I have a loading screen that won't go away and my internet is fine

Celestie

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
2020 Community Winner
  • Nov 14, 2020
    Has anyones WG test stopped working midway. I am currently having this issue and don't know how to fix it. Can someone help me the deadline to complete is tomorrow and I doubt grad recruitment will see my email by then :(

Edit: I have a loading screen that won't go away and my internet is fine
    Take a screenshot (usually 'prtscr') and send it to the firm immediately.

jan28

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    M&A Bootcamp
    Sep 12, 2019
    logged on to mayer brown to complete the tests but it says deadline passed even though i was told i'd have a week to complete them and it's been less than that. have emailed grad rec but anyone else facing a similar issue?

JayC

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Junior Lawyer
    Jan 8, 2021
    I'm just so baffled by what kind of horrible person even does this to somebody else.
    I agree! What's also strange is that for someone so machiavellian they were also very incompetent... they drew attention to their spamming by making a rude reply to an unrelated post, and they posted their incriminating message on so many platforms that it was obvious they were a troll. This could have been much worse if they just had the one message and DLA saw it

Reactions: cmaj

33c

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Forum Winner
    M&A Bootcamp
    Aug 8, 2020
    logged on to mayer brown to complete the tests but it says deadline passed even though i was told i'd have a week to complete them and it's been less than that. have emailed grad rec but anyone else facing a similar issue?
    Just checked my portal and it says my deadline has passed too. I will send a screenshot of it to grad rec.

whisperingrock

Legendary Member
    Forum Winner
  • Sep 12, 2020
    I agree! What's also strange is that for someone so machiavellian they were also very incompetent... they drew attention to their spamming by making a rude reply to an unrelated post, and they posted their incriminating message on so many platforms that it was obvious they were a troll. This could have been much worse if they just had the one message and DLA saw it
    Maybe they hoped someone would see it and impulsively report it to DLA without actually trying to talk to the person? Its just so odd.

Reactions: JayC

Iqra

Star Member
    Premium Member
    M&A Bootcamp
  • Jan 2, 2020
    If there is only a work experience section on the form and nothing for positions of responsibility (other than the general app qs where you might bring them in), can you put uni/school roles or volunteering roles and positions of responsibility in the work experience section? This is for Charles Russell Speechlys
    I’ve put uni society stuff in the work experience section and progressed multiple times.

Dheepa

Legendary Member
    Staff member
    Future Trainee
    TCLA Moderator
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    M&A Bootcamp
    Junior Lawyer 43
  • Jan 20, 2019
    Got my Slaughter and May interview soon, does anyone have any tips on how to explain why I've applied to other firms when I'm asked? I've applied to all MC and a few top US firms

Focus on the similarities between S&M and those other firms you've applied to and what attracted you to those features. So think about things like similar practice area strengths, industry strengths, geographical presence, and clients. I would then follow up those things with why you think S&M still comes out ahead of those other firms and why they are still your top choice. The interviewers just want to see that you've really thought about the kind of work you want to be doing and that those motivations are consistent across your applications. If I'm being honest though, I was always very selective when choosing to include which other firms I applied to and only mentioned the firms I knew did similar work and were comparable. Made answering the question a lot easier on myself.

Dheepa

Legendary Member
    Staff member
    Future Trainee
    TCLA Moderator
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    M&A Bootcamp
    Junior Lawyer 43
  • Jan 20, 2019
    Am I tripping or did one of the Stephenson Harwood questions disappear? The one about exceeding expectations outside of work/study.

You're not tripping 😂 Someone else on the forum mentioned a while back that they seemed to have removed one of the two questions that were similar to each other.

Reactions: sunflowerducks
    D

Deleted member 2707

I applied for Weil late November 2020 for the summer vacation scheme but haven't heard back. Should I follow up with Grad Rec or is it safe to assume its a PFO? :(

TR17

Star Member
    Jul 3, 2020
    Hi guys, are the Ashurst tests any similar to the PwC ones? From what I’ve read, they seem similar in that they are game based and test your reaction speed. When I did the PwC one (which I absolutely hated, but was strangely fun at the same time) I realised it would have been easier if I had done it on my phone.

Has anyone done the Ashurst test on their phone and does it even work on there as the email explicitly says to use google chrome? Would really appreciate any insight please :)

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.