2020-21 Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Andrew M

Legendary Member
Forum Winner
Jan 7, 2020
Thank you for the unnecessary advice.

It is my understanding that this forum is to help each other, including on the topic of commercial awareness.
Just because I have asked this question, does not mean I don't have my own thoughts. I was simply asking to start a discussion and confirm my own thoughts.

Good luck with your career.
I would recommend Richard Susskinds "Tomorrow's Lawyers" book, as it quite neatly outlines some of the biggest disrupters to legal services providers. It's quite a light read too - you could get through it in probably a day.

Andrew M

Legendary Member
Forum Winner
Jan 7, 2020
Drama on a Saturday night and here I was in bed by 11pm. The lockdown has turned me into an old man.

i'm old jamie lee curtis GIF

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
Staff member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Premium Member
M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    Was late to the party here, although one user kindly messaged me last night about the account which was then banned.

According to our records, it does look like it was a spam account based in the US. I'm unclear as to whether they were intentionally impersonating someone, or if they created a fake name that just so happened to have the same name as a real applicant. I'm also unclear as to whether they actually had material for the firm they mentioned, or if they were using it as a way to send spam content to those who private messaged them.

I've definitely noticed spammers have become more sophisticated since we started up TCLA. At times, it's very hard to tell because they'll write a few normal-looking posts before beginning to send links. A friendly reminder to everyone to just be cautious, particularly if it looks like a user has only just signed up, and is finding a reason to send an external link.

Last edited:

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Once one reaches interview stage, is everyone on a level playing field? Or will grad rec sometimes have certain applicants in mind that really stood out that they just want to confirm in interview, while other interviewees would need to be really impressive in interview? This is obviously for firms that don’t do CV-blind interviewing
    I don’t think it is ever truly a level playing field as you are still assessing individuals with different strengths and experiences.

But it’s not like candidates get prioritised. I have met loads of people over the years that I have very much wanted to offer a job too because I thought they were great (I may have met them at an open day or campus event) but they didn’t perform well enough in the assessments and so didn’t get an offer. Grad Rec can’t supersede the recruitment process just because they think/hope someone will do well.

Dheepa

Legendary Member
    Staff member
    Future Trainee
    TCLA Moderator
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    M&A Bootcamp
    Junior Lawyer 43
  • Jan 20, 2019
    I'm making a last minute application to Macfarlanes and wondering if anyone had any advice for structuring the 'Achievements' question please. Torn between either providing one detailed example using STAR or three smaller examples which each demonstrate a particular quality. I appreciate there is no wrong answer, but is the firm looking for us to state the quality or is it better to show not say?

Hi, this post from a few years ago lists some advice on the app that GR provided during an Open Day. It says to use the STAR structure but I don't necessarily think you need to stick to one example only and if you feel like you can provide additional examples within the word count then you should!

Reactions: sibs23

Naomi U

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Forum Team
    Dec 8, 2019
    So how could I tie this into why i want to apply to HFW. My point is that i like litigation because of xyz, HFW have a good commercial litigation practice (tier 1) and then how could I tie analysis of this case to illustrate the point.
    Hiya

I would mention the practice area of interest then give the case as an example of the firm's expertise. I think it's best to be quite specific here rather than just name-dropping. So think about; why was this case so significant? What were the particular challenges that had to be overcome? Was it particularly complex e.g. did it have cross-jurisdictional elements etc?

I don't have much insight into the particular case at hand but these are the type of pointers I would use when undergoing a case analysis for an interview.

Hope this helps ☺️

Reactions: Jaysen

A92167!8

Valued Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Dec 6, 2020
    If there is only a work experience section on the form and nothing for positions of responsibility (other than the general app qs where you might bring them in), can you put uni/school roles or volunteering roles and positions of responsibility in the work experience section? This is for Charles Russell Speechlys

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    If there is only a work experience section on the form and nothing for positions of responsibility (other than the general app qs where you might bring them in), can you put uni/school roles or volunteering roles and positions of responsibility in the work experience section? This is for Charles Russell Speechlys
    School/uni stuff (no)
    Volunteering (yes)

The firm probably just doesn't have a preference for that information.

Numerius Negidius

Legendary Member
    Aug 8, 2020
    I've put society positions on some work experience sections and still progressed.

Reactions: Iqra

Daniel Boden

Legendary Member
    Trainee
    Highest Rated Member
  • Sep 6, 2018
    Was late to the party here, although one user kindly messaged me last night about the account which was then banned.

According to our records, it does look like it was a spam account based in the US. I'm unclear as to whether they were intentionally impersonating someone, or if they created a fake name that just so happened to have the same name as a real applicant. I'm also unclear as to whether they actually had material for the firm they mentioned, or if they were using it as a way to send spam content to those who private messaged them.

I've definitely noticed spammers have become more sophisticated since we started up TCLA. At times, it's very hard to tell because they'll write a few normal-looking posts before beginning to send links. A friendly reminder to everyone to just be cautious, particularly if it looks like a user has only just signed up, and is finding a reason to send an external link.
    Just to add to this, I reached out to Olivia and she really appreciates us looking out for her and is very grateful to the TCLA family for their support :)

Daniel Boden

Legendary Member
    Trainee
    Highest Rated Member
  • Sep 6, 2018
    So how could I tie this into why i want to apply to HFW. My point is that i like litigation because of xyz, HFW have a good commercial litigation practice (tier 1) and then how could I tie analysis of this case to illustrate the point.
    I think you could perhaps use this case as evidence of your justifications for why you like litigation/arbitration e.g. the complex/problem-solving nature of the cases, how you have to come up with a strategy and then continually adapt/adjust so that you can allow your client to achieve the best result possible etc. Otherwise, if it doesn't really fit in to your reasoning/feels a bit forced then it's good commercial awareness to have in this practice area :)

Last edited:
    Reactions: OB
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.