2020-21 Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sekani Wraith

Valued Member
Aug 26, 2020
Written exercises almost always involve assessing a candidates commercial awareness on things like M&A. Although I think there are quite a few law firms that now use different kinds of transactions and even litigation fictional scenarios. Would really recommend looking through Jacob's guide. Just curious, does the email mention a case study separate to the written exercise?

If a firm says you won't need any legal knowledge to complete a written exercise, does that means it's unlikely to be about an M&A transaction or any kind of transaction for that matter?

Dheepa

Legendary Member
Staff member
Future Trainee
TCLA Moderator
Premium Member
Forum Team
M&A Bootcamp
Junior Lawyer 43
  • Jan 20, 2019
    If a firm says you won't need any legal knowledge to complete a written exercise, does that means it's unlikely to be about an M&A transaction or any kind of transaction for that matter?

I would still recommend looking into the basics of how M&A transactions work, how they are structured, what a company would have to gain from it and also look into basic financial terms. Those things are in my opinion commercial knowledge and don't necessarily involve any intricate legal issues on their own.

thelegalsieve

Distinguished Member
    Premium Member
    Feb 4, 2020
    Hi guys, can anyone clarify - can I still apply for Sidley's summer scheme if I was rejected at the application stage for their winter scheme?

I wanted to enter the portal to check if this was possible, but it's currently down.

Dheepa

Legendary Member
    Staff member
    Future Trainee
    TCLA Moderator
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    M&A Bootcamp
    Junior Lawyer 43
  • Jan 20, 2019

Ricky

Legendary Member
    2020 Community Winner
    Sep 16, 2018
    Great thanks I'll be sure to check that out. And no all it says is there will be a timed written task to assess my time management skills, working under pressure, prioritising my workload and written communication. It's for Weil if anyone has any insight into this, especially virtually!
    No outside knowledge is required for the written exercise. It is purely about comprehending the information in front of you.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Why is that Jessica? Genuinely curious...by funneling people at an earlier stage, in an industry where other firms accept older applicants, they are doing that? Like it’s not saying age is the factor but if a protected characteristic like age is affected by the policy, doesn’t that apply?

I would not consider working at CC because the policy is silly in terms of sourcing talent but putting that aside it just feels wrong that you’re excluding people in a way that the effect is agism..
    I am not saying I agree with the policy, just that it is not age discrimination, and by that I mean in the eyes of the law. That purely comes down to you being able to start a degree at any age.

As I understand it there have been a couple of cases when year of graduation were tested for age discrimination and it was deemed not to be so in the eyes of the law.

I am pretty sure CC thought about this policy quite carefully, especially when being so public about it, that it wasn’t going to be considered discriminatory.

Reactions: cmaj and Oxdart

layk

Legendary Member
    M&A Bootcamp
    Junior Lawyer
    Jul 16, 2019
    Well done to everyone who has managed to do the one or two extra applications for today's deadline when they wanted to give up - wishing everyone the best of luck!!!!

Good Vibes Reaction GIF by INTO ACTION

whisperingrock

Legendary Member
    Forum Winner
  • Sep 12, 2020
    I am not saying I agree with the policy, just that it is not age discrimination, and by that I mean in the eyes of the law. That purely comes down to you being able to start a degree at any age.

As I understand it there have been a couple of cases when year of graduation were tested for age discrimination and it was deemed not to be so in the eyes of the law.

I am pretty sure CC thought about this policy quite carefully, especially when being so public about it, that it wasn’t going to be considered discriminatory.
    Do you happen to remember what the cases were? I'm curious to see the reasoning.

Mxkry

Legendary Member
    Oct 13, 2020
    Currently working on my macfarlanes app last minute lol. When talking about why the firm cani mention their pro bono and diversity inclusion or do they not want references to what their "culture" is?

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.