2020-21 Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

dosblancos7

Legendary Member
Feb 16, 2019
Hi!

1) I've had some firms explicitly say they don't care about the background. Other firms such as White & Case write on their website in a lot of detail about having a good clean background (had to take down my beloved posters). So, I think it's up to the firm. I would go for blurred if your background is not plain as A. it's better to be safe than sorry B. less distractions for the interview = more focus on you.

2) A bit of both. I think naturally you should be able to find something that you are genuinely interested in AND tailors to their key departments since if you are doing an AC for the firm, you should be interested in their key departments. It might be harder to find a crossover but I'd strive to find something. If you can't then I'd go for tailoring it to their key departments and then try and come up with quite a few reasons why it could be interesting and fake it till you make it - but that's obviously risky, they could see right through you.

Just realised that my news story indirectly incorporated a lot of Corporate acquisitions- which is an area the firm excels in :)

Thank you!!! And sorry to hear about your posters 😅

• Love
Reactions: sabma

Lily721

Legendary Member
Premium Member
  • Oct 7, 2020
    Think about how you could break it down. Do competitors vary by practice area, sector or geographical location. What makes them a competitor rather than just another law firm? Are there similarities in the way they work etc?
    Definitely! I heard a lot of firms discuss it last year. Make sure you know enough about it to talk about it though and that you do have a genuine interest. I always find it easiest to talk about an area I have a real genuine interest in because I can bring in multiple different news stories and give a broad overview of one story within its context as a trend.

I always look at legal500 and chambers to look at competitors in practice areas, and then I think about factors like geographical reach - global/regional? method of expansion? profit centres? strength in particular (practice groups in) cities? No firm has just one competitor! If you have TCLA Premium as well, look at the law firm profiles as this will give you some good pointers on where to start researching competitors. You could also align this with why you want to join a particular firm, e.g. "Your competitors do x whereas you do x which is why I want to work for you and not them".
    Thank you!

HorsesForCoursesNeighNeighNeigh

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Premium Member
    Forum Winner
    M&A Bootcamp
    Dec 1, 2020
    I think if Mayer Brown are experiencing what a lot of the other firms are this year in terms of just a never-ending influx of applicants, they might be re-considering their criteria for AC?

avalanche dat GIF

(this is what I imagine graduate recruitment looks like :eek: )

• Haha
    Reactions: cmaj and Polyglot

Naomi U

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Forum Team
    Dec 8, 2019
    If a firm asks you what the biggest mistake you've made, can you say making a poor module choice? Also if I was asked when I had constructive criticism, is it poor taste to use the feedback from my first-year scheme at a different firm and how I've built on it?
    Hiya,

As for the first question, I think this is fine however I would be careful about saying generic things like you simply didn't like it or it was too hard. This is only because at times as a trainee you might find yourself in a role or performing a task that you don't particularly enjoy but nevertheless have to do, so you don't want it to seem like you run away from situations. Therefore, if mentioning a poor module choice, I would take a constructive approach, explaining my exact issue with it and then explaining how I overcame this issue and what I learnt from it.

Regarding the latter question, I don't think its bad taste at all. The question is testing your self awareness and ability to interpret, acknowledge and act on constructive criticism. I don't see any difference between using that example vs a form of non legal work experience. Again, the focus here I think is being constructive - what happened, what did you do to fix it, what did you learn.

Hope this helps! ☺️

Naomi U

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Forum Team
    Dec 8, 2019
    Hi!

I have a virtual interview with a US firm coming up as part of an AC and had a few Q's

1) How would a blurred background look? Would it be seen as unprofessional/weird

2) If a firm asks for a commercial topic, is it better to talk about something that I am genuinely interested in rather than tailor a news story to their key departments ?

Hiya!

Congrats on getting your interview ☺️

1) I don't think it is unprofessional or weird. An ideal background for a virtual interview is one that is not distracting which is why they often recommend a relatively plain background e.g. a wall or a window. If this is not possible, then I think a blurred background is absolutely fine as this still meets the aim of having a background which is not distracting and allows the focus to be kept on you. Also to add- make sure you have adequate lighting!

2) Personally, I would talk about something your genuinely interested in as it makes the dialogue flow a lot easier. Also, if they ask follow up questions ( which is likely), you'll be in a better position to answer and express your opinions, than if you were to talk about something you aren't as interested in which would limit your points of discussion. I would however broadly consider the types of clients and work carried out by the firm. So if you know the firm is not litigation heavy at all, I wouldn't lead with a commercial litigation case ( but this is just my opinion!)

Hope this helps & best of luck in your upcoming interview!

• Love
    Reactions: dosblancos7
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.