2020-21 Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

tractor12

Legendary Member
Junior Lawyer
Oct 6, 2019
I'm no

it's very similar to the Links test - situational judgements with a little bit of WG style questioning at the end

What qualities do BCLP look for?
Well rounded individuals who can demonstrate commercial awareness, an interest in current affairs, intellectual curiosity, entrepreneurialism and creativity. Strong intellectually capability, communication and interpersonal skills, drive and commitment, analytical ability, resilience and knowledge of the legal sector / market with an appreciation for client demands and needs.
I agree looking at firm values is important but surely all firms look for these skills? Which firms are known for wanting things that others don't look for?

Holly

Legendary Member
Forum Winner
Nov 23, 2019
Almost every firm I've ever interviewed at actually. But it only comes up because I include the IB stint I had in my work experience section. I think the "Why law and not X" is a natural question for anyone that has had work experience in fields that coincide closely with commercial law. Partner interviews especially are very much based off the things you write in your app but I wouldn't worry about it otherwise though, no interviewer is going to throw something like that your way randomly. ☺️

Makes sense! My work experience does vary from non-law to commercial law to accounting so I guess it would be random to ask “why not IB?”. 🤣

Really interesting how different everyone’s interviews can be!

Reactions: Dheepa

Dheepa

Legendary Member
Staff member
Future Trainee
TCLA Moderator
Premium Member
Forum Team
M&A Bootcamp
Junior Lawyer 43
  • Jan 20, 2019
    I also got an RPC offer! :eek: :eek: Honestly can't believe it because I thought the case study went SO poorly, thank you to everyone who gave me advice on how to get better at them!

Also, just wanted to say that it is definitely worth doing last minute applications. This cycle has taught me that the whole process is really quite random and there's no telling which applications will go down well - every time I thought I really aced something I seemed to then get a rejection, then when I thought things went badly it was the opposite 🤣 My friend once said to me that firms can't know you're there if you don't apply and I think that's so true - just keep persevering on!

This is amazing! Huge huge congratulations! I love reading stuff like this because it's proof that no matter how hopeless it all seems, something good will come out of it if you keep going. I hope you're already celebrating!!

RyanM1

Star Member
    Jan 4, 2021
    Just received my PFO from Eversheds. Weird as my application last year was worse but got to video interview yet I wasn’t invited to a video interview this time around. Law firms work in mysterious ways.
    It is difficult to try and establish what the graduate recruitment teams are looking for. I have heard this year has had many more applications than previous, so the competition must be super tough!

Victoria R

Distinguished Member
    Jul 17, 2020
    Just received my PFO from Eversheds. Weird as my application last year was worse but got to video interview yet I wasn’t invited to a video interview this time around. Law firms work in mysterious ways.
    If it makes you feel better, I had my unsuccessful 2020 application to Eversheds' TC reviewed and thought my app this year for their VS was so much better - I attended their insight evening and had interacted with grad recruitment at law fairs too! I got rejected before the VI though, same as last year. HOWEVER, I personally got so much out of putting in effort to their app because it's so transferable to interviews and other applications. I have genuinely used my answers to all three questions multiple times in different scenarios, and found having written them down so concisely for Eversheds was a massive help. Your efforts absolutely won't go to waste!

FM302989

Legendary Member
    Junior Lawyer
  • Oct 16, 2020
    So I asked for feedback on my interview and they said: "we don't have any constructive feedback for you" and then said where I went well etc - how am I meant to improve ahead of the TC interview in the future?

(Im not blowing my own trumpet here, genuinely stuck as I wanna make sure I improve for the next interview but I have nothing to go off)

I've had the exact same as this. Wasn't given any negative or really any constructive feedback but there weren't enough TC spaces available.

Frustrating? Absolutely! But it came down to a numbers game between the people invited to AC and the people they had already given offers to at the Vac Scheme.

I'm sure the admins of TCLA, both on this forum and in webinars will share this, but control what you can, work hard and anything that's a game of luck or numbers, try not to let these be an obstacle

Reactions: Holly

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
    Staff member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    I also got an RPC offer! :eek: :eek: Honestly can't believe it because I thought the case study went SO poorly, thank you to everyone who gave me advice on how to get better at them!

Also, just wanted to say that it is definitely worth doing last minute applications. This cycle has taught me that the whole process is really quite random and there's no telling which applications will go down well - every time I thought I really aced something I seemed to then get a rejection, then when I thought things went badly it was the opposite 🤣 My friend once said to me that firms can't know you're there if you don't apply and I think that's so true - just keep persevering on!

Well done :)

Reactions: Victoria R

Dheepa

Legendary Member
    Staff member
    Future Trainee
    TCLA Moderator
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    M&A Bootcamp
    Junior Lawyer 43
  • Jan 20, 2019
    I agree looking at firm values is important but surely all firms look for these skills? Which firms are known for wanting things that others don't look for?

I don't think that there are any firms that particularly look for things that other firms don't look for. All firms are hiring for the same kind of position and so will require most if not all of the same basic skill sets.

That being said I think some firms may place more of an emphasis on certain skills and if you really wanted to pick up on those things I'd try to think about whether the training contract structure at a given firm is especially different. US firms drive home the small trainee intake point quite a bit so to that end I'd say resilience is a hugely important thing. Firms like JD for example don't have fixed seats so the ability to take initiative or being proactive will be extremely important because you quite literally have to constantly ask to be put on matters that interest you. NRF drives home their industry expertise point to both clients and graduates quite a bit at events, so to that end I think commercial awareness is something they place quite a bit of emphasis on. White & Case seems to love the word "entrepreneurial" and it's something I see on their LinkedIn posts and GR website all the time. This could potentially be because they pride themselves on being one of the first few firms to open offices in particularly remote emerging markets.

My point is not that other firms don't value these things as much. Instead, I think it's just a matter of thinking about what kind of things firms pride themselves on when it comes to their training structure, work and to some extent culture and corresponding that to specific skills that would make you successful in that environment.

Celestie

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    2020 Community Winner
  • Nov 14, 2020
    I've had the exact same as this. Wasn't given any negative or really any constructive feedback but there weren't enough TC spaces available.

Frustrating? Absolutely! But it came down to a numbers game between the people invited to AC and the people they had already given offers to at the Vac Scheme.

I'm sure the admins of TCLA, both on this forum and in webinars will share this, but control what you can, work hard and anything that's a game of luck or numbers, try not to let these be an obstacle
    Ahhh I think my situ is a little different - I had a successful vac scheme interview and I asked them for feedback cause post VS, there is TC interview and I wanted to see if I could improve anywhere for it. They gave me nothing to go off - but tysm! <3

NA27

Star Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Apr 19, 2020
    If it makes you feel better, I had my unsuccessful 2020 application to Eversheds' TC reviewed and thought my app this year for their VS was so much better - I attended their insight evening and had interacted with grad recruitment at law fairs too! I got rejected before the VI though, same as last year. HOWEVER, I personally got so much out of putting in effort to their app because it's so transferable to interviews and other applications. I have genuinely used my answers to all three questions multiple times in different scenarios, and found having written them down so concisely for Eversheds was a massive help. Your efforts absolutely won't go to waste!
    Thank you for this perspective. I was initially feeling very dejected about rejections on apps which I put in a lot of time and effort, interacted with the firm, got it reviewed etc. Your post made me feel that there was some good to come out of that, despite not exactly receiving the outcome I wanted :)
    Cheers!

Reactions: Victoria R

sibs23

Legendary Member
    Jan 15, 2021
    I applied for Stephenson Harwood's winter scheme in early November and was rejected mid December. The email said they would still consider me for Spring/Summer and update me in 2021. Would it be pushy to email and ask for when I should expect an update? I am assuming rejection at this point, but would just be nice to know for sure.

H48

Star Member
    Oct 9, 2020
    Does anyone have any advice for the dentons phone interview? this is my first cycle and first interview so would appreciate any advice :)
    Hey, I have it tomorrow and from speaking to people on here they seem to really be focussed on making sure you know about the firm and why you're right for them (& vice versa), so if you bring up the polycentric structure for example make sure you really understand it and how it benefits clients/how you'd fit in. It also seems to be quite tick box-y so try to find your strongest example for each competency. I can also message you after the interview tomorrow when I can be of more help :)

• 🤝
    Reactions: collie_121
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.