2020-21 Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

lawgeek_301

Star Member
Junior Lawyer
May 1, 2020
This whole process is so random. I just got an interview at a firm I applied to on the deadline after putting minimal effort (literally spent 1-2 hours on a total of 5 questions) and was convinced this was my worst app but I just thought I should give it a try. Meanwhile, I got rejected from firms I spent weeks working on my apps. You can never really know what GR is looking for I guess 😕

AH97

Esteemed Member
Junior Lawyer
Jul 30, 2019
Does anyone have any tips for group exercises? I’ve done one during an open day in first year and there was someone who talked majority of the time and talked over me at some point, so I didn’t really want to contribute after that. Any tips when doing this for a vac scheme AC?

Someone talking over you constantly would only reflect badly on them, not you! My advice:
  • The assessors know the limitations of being virtual (i.e. the lag may mean there's some talking over, etc.) so I don't think they'll be too harsh about that if you apologise and don't do it constantly
  • The loudest person isn't necessarily performing the best - ensure everything that you say is correct, important and relevant
  • Don't overdo the classic 'group negotiation exercise advice' of "I'll put a timer on!!!" "Shall we move on and come back to this!!!" etc., as it can come across as pretty forced and unnatural in some instances - obviously these can be helpful in moderation (and sometimes necessary) though
  • They're really assessing teamwork so be polite and considerate!

LegalNim

Legendary Member
Nov 14, 2019
Weird question, but I'm intrigued to know if anyone has been put off applying to a firm after what they have experienced with the firm this cycle?
I was really put off a firm by how they handled the whole Covid-19 situation. I had a vacation scheme all set up and then they cancelled it and then told us they're not considered us for a TC, said they would replace the vacation scheme with a new scheme and would contact us in a few weeks, months went by. Eventually they contacted asking for us to provide extra information about ourselves and tell them what we would want to gain from a remote scheme. I filled out all the forms, and sent through extra answers and we never heard back after that.
I spoke to some people who were offered 2020 start TCs with the firm and they still haven't started and the firm hasn't told them when/if they want them to start.
The firm are still recruiting for their vacation scheme this year though - despite not tell us what, if anything, is happening with ours.

layk

Legendary Member
M&A Bootcamp
Junior Lawyer
Jul 16, 2019
Weird question, but I'm intrigued to know if anyone has been put off applying to a firm after what they have experienced with the firm this cycle?
I think it's the firms where I spent so much time investing like going to their open days, interacting with them at the fair, put so much effort into my applications, got applications reviewed etc only to be rejected in the application cycle. Not that they have to accept me just for meeting them, it's just I wouldn't know how else to improve the next time!

Kablahc

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Forum Winner
  • Aug 31, 2020
    Yep. Applied direct TC last cycle to Forsters, got told my app was on hold, applied for their private client insight day, got accepted for that, got told my TC app was on hold AGAIN and they're considering it with the 2023 TC applicants, absolute radio silence since and I don't think anyone else from 2022 intake who applied like me has heard anything either! I really liked their insight day and they seemed like my type of firm but honestly I'm respecting the ones that honestly said 'we're not recruiting this year so try next year maybe' way more

• 🤝
    Reactions: OB and MW110601

21wajsz

Legendary Member
  • Dec 3, 2020
    Just seen lots of people ask about the V&E virtual interview. I've just done it and they asked 3 questions, why V&E, why commercial law, and what motivates you. They also gave me as much time as I wanted to plan my answers out and you can re-record them aswell. Let me know how you all get on :):)
    Thank you! Was just wondering if there is a time limit to how long your answers should be?

Matt_96

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
  • Dec 15, 2018

Yes. I won't go in to specifics but essentially I asked for an adjustment to their AC which they promised (via email so I still have a written record of it) but it never materialised. When I mentioned it afterwards the recruiter told me it didn't happen and I should have let them know ahead of time if I wanted one! The irony is that the firm is known for being 'inclusive'.

kr253

Esteemed Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Jan 20, 2021
    Hiya,

Congratulations on your upcoming AC!

I think if that's an area of interest then there is no harm in talking about either. Naturally, I'm sure your experiences in PR will be a big talking point after 4 years in the sector so I don't think you will be pigeon holing yourself.

Instead I think the focus here is to really emphasis the links to the legal industry to demonstrate how your interests merge and to show that you are able to combine and adapt your knowledge and skills. I would choose by deciding which is the most affected area right now - arguably this may be cyber security due to the increased reliance on technology and remote working brought on by COVID.

Hope this helps & best of luck ☺️
    That's really helpful, thank you!

FM302989

Legendary Member
    Junior Lawyer
  • Oct 16, 2020
    I've a feeling wide-spread reform is needed for all recruitment

I'm conscious that I shouldn't name them in the forum. But I did a Vacation Scheme with one firm back in June online. They didn't offer any TCs and promised to hold a follow-up Vacation Scheme when they could allow us to visit the office. Understandably, that's been difficult this year but they kept in contact affirming this intention.

Couple weeks back they sent an email effectively saying they were no longer going to recruit trainees and 'bye forever'. Yet they are still advertising their 2021 Summer scheme/TCs...

I've had bad experiences with other firms, some of which their HR just don't seem to care about the candidate experience. I've a feeling widespread reform is needed but I doubt that will happen and I personally don't know how things should change

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.