2020-21 Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

MZ

Esteemed Member
Forum Winner
Oct 7, 2020
I'm currently mentally replaying the moment I said "fucking" out of nowhere in my partner interview earlier today, I have no idea how that happened. This is definitely going to haunt me every time I try to fall asleep for the next few weeks

I was presenting my solution to possible risk of litigation in an acquisition as part of my case study answer and got flustered and couldn't find the right words to describe what warranties/indemnities would do in this situation, so naturally, my genius brain thought the best way to stall while I could think of the right words was to throw in a filler word to buy me some time, except I chose the word "fucking" for some reason, which made me even more flustered because I immediately realised what I'd just said and started internally panicking a little. So I basically ended up saying something along the lines of "so you could basically tell them 'you take the fucking liability if it comes to litigation', you know?" and I'm honestly still cringing.

By some miracle, after this car crash interview and only getting through 2 out of the 10 pages in the document review exercise, I just got a vac scheme offer from Baker McKenzie!!

I really wasn't expecting that, I guess I'll take this as another reminder not to count myself out before I actually receive the rejection!

Bugsy Malone

Legendary Member
Commercial Writer
Junior Lawyer
Jun 24, 2018
Vac scheme offer from Baker McKenzie!! Second vac scheme offer this cycle (humble flex).

Little motivation for anyone who has had an AC that they thought went horribly, here's how mine went:

1) Document review exercise-I didn't finish it, I got to page 8 of 10 and ran out of time.
2) Associate interview-I was expecting standard competency questions but I wasn't asked a single standard competency question, instead, I got questions like 'how does politics impact law and business' (how tf do you even answer that?)
3) Group exercise-my wifi cut and so I was out for 10 minutes and struggled to catch up when I rejoined which meant I said about 5 things in 30 minutes.
4) case study interview-I didn't have a SCOOBY what 2 of the questions were about, the partners were asking me about foreign investment regimes and sanctions??? wtf is that??

Safe to say I have been preparing for a rejection since, but it never came.

Here is my theory: If you have got to the interview stage or AC then they already know you're smart, so I think the key is likeability. For example, the first 30 minutes of my partner interview where the partners were basically speaking mandarin, didn't go well, but the second 30 minutes was just questions about my app, and the partners and I were laughing and joking and bouncing off each other the entire time (same goes for my associate interview). So, above all, it's important to show that you are likable and someone that they would enjoy working with and someone they're confident will interact with clients well.

So my unsolicited advice is: show them that you are a nice person, smile, laugh and speak with conviction. If you have got to the interview stage/AC then my friend, you are the shit, because you have beat off soooo many candidates to get there, so let that energy and confidence shine!

Good luck everyone!1
Congratulations! And LOVE this! Thanks for sharing :)

• Love
Reactions: Sekani Wraith

Ricky

Legendary Member
2020 Community Winner
Sep 16, 2018
Those who received a Mayer Brown AC invite - were there lots of dates available? I’m still waiting to hear back and I’m holding onto some hope!
Next Tuesday was the only date available to me. I saw someone else mention another AC date on Thursday. The email highlighted the fact that they recruit on a rolling basis so it was in our best interests to attend at that time. I guess they will be making VS offers as they go along and not waiting until they have done a certain amount of ACs.

Alisha S

Star Member
  • Jan 21, 2021
    Just as a general rule, is being in the 72nd percentile for a WG test good? I think some firms may want higher, but I got my marks from a firm I was recently rejected from, so that was nice

cryingoverTCs

Legendary Member
  • Mar 1, 2020
    I have to answer a question about why I've chosen my preferred location - how do I go about answering this? I've had this once before and kinda just wrote about the fact that I loved the vibrancy London and that it was a global hub so there were more opportunities
    but is that ok?

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.