2020-21 Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

E.A

Legendary Member
M&A Bootcamp
Junior Lawyer
Dec 11, 2019
Congrats to everyone making great progress! I have to say, its only been complete radio silence from everyone for me
Doge Reaction GIF by MOODMAN
Radio silence here too from so many firms
Oh My Gosh Love GIF by Disney+

law230

Esteemed Member
Jan 20, 2021
Anyone heard back from Shearman? Including rejections? I only know people got invited for interviews some time ago but am wondering if they have been sending out rejections in the meantime.

I am so fed up with waiting. It is enough to offput you from applying again.
Well last year I got rejected on the 5th so I'm wondering if there going to send a round of rejections tomorrow. As far as I know, no one has been reject yet.

• Wow
Reactions: AH97 and E.A

E.A

Legendary Member
M&A Bootcamp
Junior Lawyer
Dec 11, 2019
Anyone heard back from Shearman? Including rejections? I only know people got invited for interviews some time ago but am wondering if they have been sending out rejections in the meantime.

I am so fed up with waiting. It is enough to offput you from applying again.
Still waiting too

FM302989

Legendary Member
Junior Lawyer
  • Oct 16, 2020
    This has nothing directly to do with Vacation Scheme/Training Contract applications, rather applications in general just want to outlet this.

I was contacted by a large company who were recruiting for an in-house Paralegal. I was invited to interview, it went well, then he told me of the next stage which was effectively a written application task I had to complete within 5 days. It was incredibly lengthy and difficult, I'd say worse than some law firm's applications, and tricky given that I work full-time.

I was told my work on it was quality...however it contained a single typo (missed the past tense 'ed' off a word) so the email gave me a PFO. I'm angry, hurt, had time wasted and annoyed I missed this.

I learned two things:
    1) Always proof read at least 5 times, even if you get someone else to read it over; and
    2) The journey for candidates is a harsh, cold place. Whenever we get our 'yes', remember what we went through.

I'm not giving up on any applications, but as I'm feeling extremely sick with grief, send me some memes and gifs!!!

Kola

Legendary Member
    Sep 27, 2020
    Anybody just had their Kirkland AC? Just finished it and pretty sure I failed that - I didn't do anything wrong per se, but I didn't do much right and I'm quite certain that I didn't do enough to differentiate myself as someone worth inviting to the final stage. The worst part is that the talk they gave us about 'why you should work at Kirkland' was genuinely inspiring and getting rejected now would be a real kicker. Oh well, onwards and upwards I supposeeee.

Jason S

Distinguished Member
    Apr 3, 2020
    Same here, still haven’t heard anything from the London office. Honestly finding it so so bizarre because AC’s have been conducted already so it’s strange that there’s a bunch of us still waiting to hear back about initial applications.

I emailed Grad Rec on Friday just to check because I applied so so long ago now (November 26th) and they’ve not replied to me. Don’t know what to make of it all to be honest!
    Did you get a reply? Seen that they’ve given out VS offers and yet there’s still loads of us who haven’t heard back!

Lily721

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
  • Oct 7, 2020
    This has nothing directly to do with Vacation Scheme/Training Contract applications, rather applications in general just want to outlet this.

I was contacted by a large company who were recruiting for an in-house Paralegal. I was invited to interview, it went well, then he told me of the next stage which was effectively a written application task I had to complete within 5 days. It was incredibly lengthy and difficult, I'd say worse than some law firm's applications, and tricky given that I work full-time.

I was told my work on it was quality...however it contained a single typo (missed the past tense 'ed' off a word) so the email gave me a PFO. I'm angry, hurt, had time wasted and annoyed I missed this.

I learned two things:
    1) Always proof read at least 5 times, even if you get someone else to read it over; and
    2) The journey for candidates is a harsh, cold place. Whenever we get our 'yes', remember what we went through.

I'm not giving up on any applications, but as I'm feeling extremely sick with grief, send me some memes and gifs!!!

I am so sorry this happened to you. It happens to the best out there.
    I understand how disheartening this is for you.

On the bright side, the interview and the high quality of your work can reassure you that you've got what it takes and that you can do this!
    Keep going and keep in mind that they are the ones loosing an incredible candidate!

scrubs hug GIF

• Love
    Reactions: FM302989

Lily721

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
  • Oct 7, 2020
    Anybody just had their Kirkland AC? Just finished it and pretty sure I failed that - I didn't do anything wrong per se, but I didn't do much right and I'm quite certain that I didn't do enough to differentiate myself as someone worth inviting to the final stage. The worst part is that the talk they gave us about 'why you should work at Kirkland' was genuinely inspiring and getting rejected now would be a real kicker. Oh well, onwards and upwards I supposeeee.

You never know how you really did until you hear back. Don't count yourself out yet!
    I know people who have had their interviews go wrong and terrible, but then been given offers!
    I am sure you have done better than you think!

Reactions: packhorse and Kola
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.