2020-21 Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Andrew M

Legendary Member
Forum Winner
Jan 7, 2020
Addleshaw Goddard AC invite! Had completely written off this VI because my response to the first question was 'hello' after thinking the record button was a means of testing your microphone. Just goes to show that a questionable VI might not be as tragic as you think hahahaha
What office is this for, out of curiousity?

Still haven't heard a peep from the application (Manchester).

Naomi U

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Forum Team
Dec 8, 2019
Post AC rejections from DLA Piper, Macfarlanes, and HSF all in the last week, alongside 5 in various stages from app to VI. Down to my last few applications and not feeling too confident.

Definitely some of the toughest days I have had in the last 2 recruitment cycles. I had prepped for weeks and honestly thought some of the interviews went well. Hopefully better news will soon come.

Best of luck to everyone waiting to hear back from firms and with AC's coming up!
Hiya

So sorry to hear!

You are right better news will come. Sometimes as annoying as it is we do get knocked quite a bit before our successes but remember, everyone is running their own race at their own time. Make sure to take care of yourself and give yourself a bit of mental break in the meantime.

Wishing you the best of luck for the rest of your apps ☺️

Naomi U

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Forum Team
Dec 8, 2019
Bristows first round interview!
Anyone knows what ‘problem-based scenarios’ are? Are they more situational judgement or (patent) law related?
Hiya,

Congrats on your interview!

I'm not the most familiar with Bristows, but from my personal experience problem based scenarios are usually similar to situational judgement type questions. So questions to gauge your responses to day to day issues that may arise in relation to clients or your colleagues.

I don't think in-depth legal knowledge is required, but its often quite good to have a firm understanding of the firm's values and the type of tasks and roles trainees in different practice areas perform. If you want to do a little extra, a brief look at the SRA Code of Conduct might be helpful to get an idea of the boundaries between helpful and professional behaviour and helpful but arguably unprofessional behaviour.

I've added a link below.

Best of luck ☺️

• Love
Reactions: Adrian_Healey

H Chambers

Star Member
Feb 3, 2021
Not sure if this helps but my AC isn’t until the end of the month, so they might wait til they’ve done all them.

I won’t be THAT GUY who asks you what questions were there, but I was wondering how far in advance do they told you about the format and logistics? I’ve had no information since my slot confirmation last week
Congrats on the AC! What scheme was it for with B&B?

GK8997

Legendary Member
M&A Bootcamp
Sep 25, 2020
Hi!
Does anyone have any leads on how to prepare Weil's AC and what does that entail?

Thanks a lot!
Hiya! I would say for the interview prepare typical competency and motivational questions, I would also say make sure you have been following a few commercial news stories that are relevant to the firm because they may ask you to tell them about one. I would also say brush up on your understanding of private equity because if you get a PE partner they may ask you about it and it is one of Weil's core practice areas. For the written exercise, you really can't prepare because it's just a collection of written tasks you have to do on the spot- my only advice would be to watch the time because it's super time pressured! Also, make sure you prep some questions to ask in the interview. Hope this helps!

Reactions: J32

Jony

Legendary Member
M&A Bootcamp
  • Oct 19, 2020
    Can I just say how much I LOVE this forum just because we can all see how far we've come since September?!

Seeing everyone's posts (like you @Ricky and @Celestie, and everyone else!) from the early stage panicking to the onslaught of rejections and offers to ... just seeing people come through the process with little successes :)

I feel like I know most of you guys here just from reading about you wanting to pick yourself back up or whether you've got an AC. The little things!

Keep going everyone ❤️ when this crazy year is all over, I'll be in London. Who wouldn't want a pint with some of you at a small pub overlooking the Thames? :D

nbc brooklyn 99 GIF by Brooklyn Nine-Nine

Elle W

Valued Member
    Jan 12, 2021
    Any word from Osborne Clarke ? they say on their website that interviews/ AC's will be at the beginning of feb but I haven't heard a peep
    The email following the verbal reasoning test said that they'd aim to respond within three weeks of the deadline so they might reply today! However, going by other firms' reaction times it might be a bit later as it seems like there have been more applications this year!

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.