Status
Not open for further replies.

S87

Legendary Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Sep 4, 2018
Hi guys!
When facing the question ‘What current issues do you think have an impact on the legal profession? What impact do they have and why?‘ should I take it literally and discuss multiple issues? I feel like my answer would get too superficial (especially since the wordcount is quite small)... @Jaysen What do you think?
Bear in mind that the question asks you to navigate a number of issues.
I would mention 2/3 issues which affect the legal industry as a whole and maybe link back how the firm is better positioned or has adopted a specific policy to overcome this problem.

OH

Star Member
Future Trainee
Nov 24, 2018
Sorry if someone has already answered this earlier, is this part of the generic Akin Gump rejection email or is it actually worth updating my application and resubmitting for the Direct TC?

'If you still seek a 2023 Training Contract, you would be most welcome to apply to Akin Gump, if you have not done so already, and we will ensure that your application is given early consideration with no need for further on-line testing.'

Andrew M

Legendary Member
Forum Winner
Jan 7, 2020
Irwin Mitchell VI invite!
So It Begins Helms Deep GIF

Congrats 🙂

legalCheek27

Star Member
Premium Member
  • Dec 29, 2020
    Is there anywhere online I can find an example of a good video interview answer? Currently preparing for my White & Case VI, and I'm struggling to condense my answers into 90 seconds without making my points sound superficial or half-baked.

lilian740

Standard Member
  • Feb 1, 2021
    Sorry if someone has already answered this earlier, is this part of the generic Akin Gump rejection email or is it actually worth updating my application and resubmitting for the Direct TC?

'If you still seek a 2023 Training Contract, you would be most welcome to apply to Akin Gump, if you have not done so already, and we will ensure that your application is given early consideration with no need for further on-line testing.'
    I don't think its standard, I got rejected after WG and mine didn't say that ~ well done !

Reactions: OH

thewaythecookiecrumbles

Distinguished Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Jan 14, 2021
    Is there anywhere online I can find an example of a good video interview answer? Currently preparing for my White & Case VI, and I'm struggling to condense my answers into 90 seconds without making my points sound superficial or half-baked.
    Not sure about good video interview answers, but in my experience with video interviews maybe stick to around 2 points so you can develop them without running out of time. Don't worry about explaining things in a huge amount of detail, I think as long as you cover the main points with some explanation you should be fine! Try recording yourself to get you into that 90 second time limit. Hope this helps!

Ricky

Legendary Member
    2020 Community Winner
    Sep 16, 2018
    Not sure about good video interview answers, but in my experience with video interviews maybe stick to around 2 points so you can develop them without running out of time. Don't worry about explaining things in a huge amount of detail, I think as long as you cover the main points with some explanation you should be fine! Try recording yourself to get you into that 90 second time limit. Hope this helps!
    This. The way you communicate and how you structure your answer is the most important thing. Better to cover one or two points in good depth than to go into many at a superficial level. Also, try and signpost your answers: "There are two key reasons why I am interested in a career as a commercial lawyer. The first...."

Manifesting

Esteemed Member
    2020 Community Winner
    Sep 11, 2020
    Weil spring VS rejection post-VI (completed in the second week of January). I’m feeling too numb to even cry at this point. I’m very much in the “never passed a VI” camp so I’m not surprised. I think what made my performance worse was all the pressure and lack of self-compassion I was putting myself through in January. Also, I think it is very possible to over-prepare for VIs and so if you have one coming up, I would recommend approaching it as a normal interview instead of rehearsing questions in advance. I got a question that was a slight variation of what I had prepared and instead of staying calm and being confident in my ability to say something on the spot, I just regurgitated my rehearsed answer.

Samantha

Legendary Member
    Nov 18, 2020
    Weil spring VS rejection post-VI (completed in the second week of January). I’m feeling too numb to even cry at this point. I’m very much in the “never passed a VI” camp so I’m not surprised. I think what made my performance worse was all the pressure and lack of self-compassion I was putting myself through in January. Also, I think it is very possible to over-prepare for VIs and so if you have one coming up, I would recommend approaching it as a normal interview instead of rehearsing questions in advance. I got a question that was a slight variation of what I had prepared and instead of staying calm and being confident in my ability to say something on the spot, I just regurgitated my rehearsed answer.

I relate to this so much! VIs are awful and lazy for law firms to use. Your not alone.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.