2020-21 Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

DJMG

Star Member
Dec 20, 2020
The automated feedback was starting with "By way of support, we are delighted to share the attached personalised feedback report...".

First time a law firm sent me an email with a "delighted" in it. I will not bother them even if it takes them 3 months to PFO me.

Jokes aside, I completed my tests on January 29. I guess a kind email wouldn't hurt in your case, and it is justified.

Hey, I attended their Open Day (25th Jan) and they said they aimed to get back to people 2 weeks post-test feedback. Someone mentioned that they had received their test results in December and not heard back yet, and Mark the Grad Rec guy looked surprised and said to drop him an email about it. I was in a similar situation so decided to email too the next day. I still haven't had a reply to that email, or a response to my app.
So I reckon they are just swamped? A lot of people seem to have been waiting ages after their phone interviews too, so would make sense.

Daniel Boden

Legendary Member
Trainee
Highest Rated Member
  • Sep 6, 2018
    You mentioned PE, Daniel...
    Season 5 Nbc GIF by The Office
    Haha you'll learn to love it on your scheme when you see how interesting it can be in practice :)

Reactions: Ricky

Dheepa

Legendary Member
    Staff member
    Future Trainee
    TCLA Moderator
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    M&A Bootcamp
    Junior Lawyer 43
  • Jan 20, 2019
    Just wondering if anyone has any advice for how to prepare for a group exercise at an AC - is there a particular method I should adopt for this? Thanks in advance!

Jacob's article here should help especially if it's a negotiation. If it's more of a general group discussion, then my best advice is you don't really need to prepare necessarily. Group exercises are literally just about assessing if you're a decent person that can read the room and someone that people will enjoy working with. Focus on being friendly, making meaningful contributions where you can and not talking over people. Also see the post below and some really useful things you could say during a group exercise that will help show you're a team player.

Honestly if you're ever in an AC and think someone is being particularly overbearing chances are your assessors will be able to feel it too!

Some tangible things you can do that show great teamwork:

1. Build off points other people have made. "That's a really good point X, just to add to that..."
    2. If you notice someone being particularly quiet or struggling to get a word in, gesture to them and invite them to say something. Being able to read the room like this is a hugely underrated skill.
    3. Recap things if it's been a particularly long discussion. Be the person that says, "Guys, so we've had all these great suggestions so far, should we decide on X now?" Good mix of teamwork and leadership here I think.
    4. Particularly if it's a negotiation exercise - ask for a sidebar. "Can my partner and I take a few moments to discuss your offer privately" Shows very clearly that you want to come to a well thought out decision and that you care about your partner's opinion.

Reactions: Daniel Boden

Daniel Boden

Legendary Member
    Trainee
    Highest Rated Member
  • Sep 6, 2018
    The Office Reaction GIF

Me really happy to have received a Cleary interview invite reading through this thread...
    Hahaha very well done! Honestly, if you get the chance at the end of the interview, it might be worth asking what their opinion is of working at the firm and whether they enjoy the work they do and see the response you get 😉

WannabeSolicitor24

Legendary Member
    Junior Lawyer 26
  • Apr 14, 2020
    Hahaha very well done! Honestly, if you get the chance at the end of the interview, it might be worth asking what their opinion is of working at the firm and whether they enjoy the work they do and see the response you get 😉
    Thank you! Yeah its a difficult one to broach though isn't it and also WFH means you can't really get a sense of the culture! But think its important for people to form their own opinion of things/people/Firms
    Did you just get iy?
    Nah I got it last week!

Daniel Boden

Legendary Member
    Trainee
    Highest Rated Member
  • Sep 6, 2018
    Thank you! Yeah its a difficult one to broach though isn't it and also WFH means you can't really get a sense of the culture! But think its important for people to form their own opinion of things/people/Firms

Nah I got it last week!
    Tbh I think the way some firms have stepped up in Covid in terms of providing resources to their associates really says a lot about their respective cultures, so it might be an enlightening answer to say the least...

But I think you're completely right about forming your own opinion - you may have a totally different experience and absolutely love the firm so 100% do what's right for you!

Really hope the interview goes well for you :)

Soriginal234

Star Member
    Dec 31, 2020
    Not rumoured haha they fired 25 lawyers in one fell swoop a few years ago (in 2018 I think it was). This RollonFriday article is pretty damming and there's a comment made by a Clearly associate (allegedly obviously) which makes it seem like he's/she's having a miserable life there :(

Wow.. just read this. I’ve never considered applying to Cleary and after this I definitely won’t be lol

WannabeSolicitor24

Legendary Member
    Junior Lawyer 26
  • Apr 14, 2020
    Can I ask when you applied?
    4th November
    Tbh I think the way some firms have stepped up in Covid in terms of providing resources to their associates really says a lot about their respective cultures, so it might be an enlightening answer to say the least...

But I think you're completely right about forming your own opinion - you may have a totally different experience and absolutely love the firm so 100% do what's right for you!

Really hope the interview goes well for you :)
    Yeah that's a decent point!

Thank you mate! :)

• 🤝
    Reactions: Daniel Boden

dollyparton

Nov 17, 2020
    Hi everyone!
    Has anyone interviewed with Winckworth Sherwood before and would be willing to share some insights? The interview is competency-based and lasts for 45 minutes. I am quite nervous as this would be my first in-person interview...
    Hi!
    I haven’t been interviewed there, but try searching the firm name in the forum search box and you will find some info from people who have! Can I ask when you submitted your application and when you were invited to interview?
    Thanks!

M1999

Legendary Member
    Nov 28, 2019
    I actually wonder if they have sent out any rejections.....they speed with which they have been doing interviews and have given out offers is great but at the same time it is becoming less and less likely it will be positive news so I don’t know why rejections are taking much longer.
    I feel like we’re gonna get ‘sorry the places have been filled’ typa rejection :/

• Sad
    Reactions: Lily721
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.