2020-21 Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

CF

Distinguished Member
Premium Member
Sep 25, 2018
I got a question that I don't know how to phrase to sorry.

I recently attended a law firm fair with White and Case. They said that they look at the application as a whole and if you don't meet the A Level requirements of AAB you can still apply as we look at the application as a whole. As I don't meet those A-Level requirements but am on course to achieve a 2.1 in my degree with achieving 1st in 3rd year of my law degree. I wanted to ask should I still consider White and Case application. I know law firms use the Rare Recruitment contextual thing so I wanted to know what do people think of this. What do you think @Jessica Booker have you ever seen someone one with not meeting A Level requirements with no mitigating circumstances progressed.

Hi Asil,

I have got through to a final stage interview with W&C in a previous cycle, I would definitely apply! I did not meet their A-Level requirements (albeit I have mitigating circumstances) however, having spoken to Grad Rec they would still encourage people to apply, even if they narrowly miss the grades! It might have changed from two years ago, but their focus is more on university grades than a-level ones.

Andrew M

Legendary Member
Forum Winner
Jan 7, 2020
Hi! Has anyone heard from Hill Dickinson post WG yet? I thought they did applications on a rolling basis but don't think ive seen anyone who's heard back!
I checked my emails from last year - I received my interview invite in the second week of Feb. So I imagine that people will start hearing back soon.

Reactions: ab1147

Asil Ahmad

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Forum Winner
  • Mar 29, 2020
    Hi Asil,

I have got through to a final stage interview with W&C in a previous cycle, I would definitely apply! I did not meet their A-Level requirements (albeit I have mitigating circumstances) however, having spoken to Grad Rec they would still encourage people to apply, even if they narrowly miss the grades! It might have changed from two years ago, but their focus is more on university grades than a-level ones.

Thank you very much for this.

I recently spoke to them at a law fair and just wanted to know if they actually do it as they are a really good firm. Hope you are well.

Reactions: CF

chromaticaqueen

Star Member
  • Jan 12, 2021
    Just completed my Bakerz Video Interview and it was WOEFUL - like a literal JOKE - I'm replaying it over and over again in my head and don't know whether to laugh or cry it was soooo bad. Oh well. Better luck next time. And glad to have my first ever VI out the way - however the deeper I go in these processes, the more perplexed I am by this world 😂

I hope everyone else is having a great day though!! x

E.A

Legendary Member
    M&A Bootcamp
    Junior Lawyer
    Dec 11, 2019
    Just completed my Bakerz Video Interview and it was WOEFUL - like a literal JOKE - I'm replaying it over and over again in my head and don't know whether to laugh or cry it was soooo bad. Oh well. Better luck next time. And glad to have my first ever VI out the way - however the deeper I go in these processes, the more perplexed I am by this world 😂

I hope everyone else is having a great day though!! x
    I did the Bakers VI in 2020 and felt the same - didn't like it lol and the questions were strange

Lawyer101

Distinguished Member
  • Dec 30, 2020
    Had quite a few messages regarding the B&B AC so I'm just going to address it here.

Obviously I'm not going to reveal the specifics - but be prepared for a long day with very few breaks (I found it quite intense). Furthermore, if you have never used the topscore platform - it was a little weird. For the interview it flips your face so just be aware of that because it really threw me off!

Other than that - prepare thoroughly and try to relax - I felt that they genuinely wanted us to do well :) Best of luck!

Last edited:
    Reactions: John Travoni

HorsesForCoursesNeighNeighNeigh

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Premium Member
    Forum Winner
    M&A Bootcamp
    Dec 1, 2020
    I think we all need to know the context in which 'sexily' would have been used now. You know. For science.

Coming To America Bar GIF

"Structured analysis helped me work quickly, presenting top-level points that colleagues could sexily review and edit within a shared document."

Imagine getting invited to sexual harassment training before you've even got a job 😫

JoeF

Star Member
    Dec 23, 2020
    Hi guys, does anyone have some insight which law firms genuinely recruit from both VS and direct TCs? I have seen the very helpful list earlier with the split, but I just wonder which law firms really do so beyond just saying they technically do both.

I still have a few apps to hear back from, but I am increasingly less hopeful (and have also not been able to apply to all firms I wanted for VS), so now gradually moving towards direct TC apps.

• 🤝
    Reactions: CT

Kablahc

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Forum Winner
  • Aug 31, 2020
    Hi guys, does anyone have some insight which law firms genuinely recruit from both VS and direct TCs? I have seen the very helpful list earlier with the split, but I just wonder which law firms really do so beyond just saying they technically do both.

I still have a few apps to hear back from, but I am increasingly less hopeful (and have also not been able to apply to all firms I wanted for VS), so now gradually moving towards direct TC apps.
    Farrer & Co at their open day said their trainee cohort last year was a direct 50/50 split between VS and direct TC apps!

• ℹ️
    Reactions: JoeF and CT

AH97

Esteemed Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Jul 30, 2019

Macfarlanes and Farrer & Co do around 50%, and Withers recruited way more from direct TC than VS last year!

Reactions: JoeF
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.