2020-21 Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

JohanGRK

Star Member
Mar 17, 2020
I donā€™t even know what Quora is, so clearly showing my age on something....

Everyone in entitled to how they view the posts. No one can ever be sure how their posts are going to be taken or perceived.

I personally didnā€™t find LegalNimā€™s curt nor abrasive. I actually found it quite the opposite. To me it was trying to respond with a memberā€™s want that their post was given more attention.

Getting a consistent voting system where everyoneā€™s posts are treated equally sounds like some amazing utopia. But thatā€™s not how anything works whether in the digital world, let alone the real one.

I agree with Dheepa - I donā€™t think itā€™s about an ā€œin crowdā€. In addition to what Dheepa said, there are also more regular and more vocal users on here who have a reputation for what they put out into the forums, myself included.

Although we can never guarantee how it will be perceived, at the same time we all have ownership and responsibility for our content (sometimes that gets forgotten when some people are anonymous). Every member of the community should understand their posts will have consequences, even if they are as minor as being upvoted/downvoted.
A comment that starts off with "Ok, let's shut you down..." isn't rude or at the very least abrasive? And the personal attacks about how the user's perspective is "limited" or "biased" or that maybe they're not that good at assessing quality? Hm.

I'm not actually calling for a change in moderation or a removal of the upvotes, more of a change in consistency in how some users react to rudeness when it comes from someone they know and like as opposed to someone they don't! I was referring to the 'tone police' (i.e. people who feel the need to berate one user on their perceived rudeness but not another) and how they're pretty inconsistent when it comes to calling out the regulars vs the newbies/outcasts. You can put it down to human nature and whatnot but it's still dodgy ;)

I agree with the rest of your post, but let's not pretend that it's all subjective and that tone is in the eye of the beholder. Whisperingrock clearly lost their calm in how they replied to you and LegalNim clearly got offended or irked in response to them.

In any case this wasn't a point I was planning on have blow up into (another) full blown debate - more of an observation from someone who doesn't post here often. I'll call out any particularly egregious double standards if I see them in the future (I hope I won't! I like TCLA)

tkhkat

Star Member
Feb 2, 2021
Iā€™d personally call for something like this. You donā€™t know when an email will be picked up.
Thank you for the advice, Jessica! I would have called them already if I could, but unfortunately, Ashurst's GR doesn't provide a phone number (I can't find it anywhere). I have little choice but to email them or use their online enquiry form to get to them. Perhaps I will try emailing any member of Ashurst's GR directly (rather than through their common GR email inbox) instead. But thank you anyway, I really appreciate it! šŸ˜€

tkhkat

Star Member
Feb 2, 2021
Very frustrating!

I cannot see the dates on my portal any more, but from memory they were:
Morning of 17 Feb
Afternoon of 18 Feb
Afternoon of 22 Feb

Obviously would advise you to double check as I am not 100% sure!
Thank you so much - this is really helpful! I'm glad that the interviews are not taking place this week - it gives me more time to try and get in contact with them. I wish you all the best of luck with your AC and hopefully, we can see each other on a VS! šŸ˜€

Polyglot

Star Member
Jan 24, 2021
These assessments are usually based on eliminating the lowest performing candidates rather than identifying the highest performing.

It could therefore be the combinations people get that arenā€™t successful that are probably more insightful to trying to work out what a firm is looking for rather than the combinations of strengths of the successful candidates.
Thank you, that's really helpful. I recently completed the SST for Kennedys and my understanding was that the feedback format is always three strengths/one weakness regardless of how well candidates perform against one another.

Reactions: John Travoni

OB

Legendary Member
2020 Community Winner
Junior Lawyer
  • Feb 10, 2020
    A comment that starts off with "Ok, let's shut you down..." isn't rude or at the very least abrasive? And the personal attacks about how the user's perspective is "limited" or "biased" or that maybe they're not that good at assessing quality? Hm.

I'm not actually calling for a change in moderation or a removal of the upvotes, more of a change in consistency in how some users react to rudeness when it comes from someone they know and like as opposed to someone they don't! I was referring to the 'tone police' (i.e. people who feel the need to berate one user on their perceived rudeness but not another) and how they're pretty inconsistent when it comes to calling out the regulars vs the newbies/outcasts. You can put it down to human nature and whatnot but it's still dodgy ;)

I agree with the rest of your post, but let's not pretend that it's all subjective and that tone is in the eye of the beholder. Whisperingrock clearly lost their calm in how they replied to you and LegalNim clearly got offended or irked in response to them.

In any case this wasn't a point I was planning on have blow up into (another) full blown debate - more of an observation from someone who doesn't post here often. I'll call out any particularly egregious double standards if I see them in the future (I hope I won't! I like TCLA)
    Definitely think tone should be taken with a pinch of salt on here as it can often come across differently online than what the poster intended. People should also not be quick to fight back unless it is truly something rude or insulting being said, as it causes unneeded tension. Aka me being insulted for stating an opinion the other night šŸ˜Œ but alas maybe there should be separate threads for contentious debating topics and keep this as a place to track successes and PFOs

• šŸ¤
    • āœ…
    Reactions: Daniel Boden, cmaj, Chloe L and 3 others

Zay

Star Member
    Oct 28, 2018
    Definitely think tone should be taken with a pinch of salt on here as it can often come across differently online than what the poster intended. People should also not be quick to fight back unless it is truly something rude or insulting being said, as it causes unneeded tension. Aka me being insulted for stating an opinion the other night šŸ˜Œ but alas maybe there should be separate threads for contentious debating topics and keep this as a place to track successes and PFOs
    I agree with your comment about tone, but think it's a bit unnecessary to bring up what happened the other night- it's just reigniting a fire for no reason

OB

Legendary Member
    2020 Community Winner
    Junior Lawyer
  • Feb 10, 2020
    I agree with your comment about tone, but think it's a bit unnecessary to bring up what happened the other night- it's just reigniting a fire for no reason
    Itā€™s not very nice to suddenly come under fire on a forum youā€™ve felt part of for a year now. Whatā€™s done is done but just proves that this is a recurring situation now and more so that we should prevent it in the future šŸ˜Š

Last edited:

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019

My opinion was that they were using the memberā€™s own language back to them. If you set a particular tone, donā€™t be surprised if people respond to you with that exact tone back. My view is that you shouldnā€™t be irked if you donā€™t like a dose of your own medicine. To me that is exactly the same as the double standards you suggest shouldnā€™t be happening.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.