2020-21 Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

collie_121

Esteemed Member
Future Trainee
Sep 30, 2020
Reese Witherspoon Drink GIF by Apple TV

DWF sending me a PFO after seeing I'd just been rejected from AG post-AC hehehe thx luvs xxxx

Kubed

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Forum Winner
Junior Lawyer 49
  • Nov 25, 2020
    Guys I really need to rant about the Arctic Shores game based assessment!!!

I took the test for the PwC vac scheme in December (and was progressed to VI) and took it again today for Taylor Vinters second stage, and I have received two COMPLETELY different sets of personality/aptitude/cognition/thinking style traits despite the game being exactly the same and marked against the same norm group.

Honestly some of the results I got on my reports were polar opposites to my December PwC result and I’m struggling to understand how firms think this can be in the least bit accurate when someone’s results can differ so much in the space of less than two months. There’s no possible way my personality and cognitive ability has changed THIS much in such a short space of time.

Has anyone else had a similar experience with Arctic Shores? Really don’t know what to make of it all 😔
    I hate it too! I've done it once and I didn't agree with many parts of the report that entirely contradicted my actual experiences at work of my approach to things/personality. I'm pretty certain I'm going to swerve firms that use this test in the future, I'm sure they have their ways of making meaning from the results but I'm sceptical of it's reliability...

Sel

Premium Member
    Oct 13, 2019
    Guys I really need to rant about the Arctic Shores game based assessment!!!

I took the test for the PwC vac scheme in December (and was progressed to VI) and took it again today for Taylor Vinters second stage, and I have received two COMPLETELY different sets of personality/aptitude/cognition/thinking style traits despite the game being exactly the same and marked against the same norm group.

Honestly some of the results I got on my reports were polar opposites to my December PwC result and I’m struggling to understand how firms think this can be in the least bit accurate when someone’s results can differ so much in the space of less than two months. There’s no possible way my personality and cognitive ability has changed THIS much in such a short space of time.

Has anyone else had a similar experience with Arctic Shores? Really don’t know what to make of it all 😔
    I felt exactly the same! I did it for PwC and Gowling last cycle within 1-2 months of each other and I got very diff reports even tho the game was pretty identical (I’m pretty sure the safe lock part had the same combinations both times??) I wouldn’t worry too much about it tho because each firm looks for different things.

Hopefully you pass for TV!! :)

• 🤝
    Reactions: SamTam99

SamTam99

Legendary Member
    Jan 5, 2021
    I hate it too! I've done it once and I didn't agree with many parts of the report that entirely contradicted my actual experiences at work of my approach to things/personality. I'm pretty certain I'm going to swerve firms that use this test in the future, I'm sure they have their ways of making meaning from the results but I'm sceptical of it's reliability...

I felt exactly the same! I did it for PwC and Gowling last cycle within 1-2 months of each other and I got very diff reports even tho the game was pretty identical (I’m pretty sure the safe lock part had the same combinations both times??) I wouldn’t worry too much about it tho because each firm looks for different things.

Hopefully you pass for TV!! :)
    Crazy how many of us have had the same experience of the assessment.

I really hope firms think twice before using Arctic Shores because it has really put me off ever applying to anywhere that uses the assessment again!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Any threads/advice on how to turn your VS into a TC?
    A few previous posts and links on this subject:

Post 5386 - Hearing Back from Law Firms, Assessment Centres & Interview Tips - 2019 - 2020 | The Corporate Law Academy Forum

KS94

Esteemed Member
    Junior Lawyer
  • Mar 21, 2018
    Crazy how many of us have had the same experience of the assessment.

I really hope firms think twice before using Arctic Shores because it has really put me off ever applying to anywhere that uses the assessment again!

Whole-heartedly agree. There are more tried and tested methods out there that have been successfully used for such a long time. I have had conversations with members of GR directly about this and they are willing to die on the hill of Arctic Shores. This particular firm even asked current trainees to test it and there was a consensus that it was an awful method to use. Yet they went ahead with it anyway!

ilovetheDLR

Star Member
  • Feb 10, 2021
    Hi all,

Can someone give some advice on what to expect for the Simmons & Simmons AC, please?

Thank you so much!
    Hey! There are 3 elements to the AC: Inbox exercise, case study exercise and a competency interview.

Inbox exercise: You are given a document with several e-mails which you are expected to draft responses to. There is also an add on research exercise within the task (which they don't mention before the AC but tbf wouldn't really help even if they had mentioned it). Overall a lot of e-mails to get through and quite time-pressured so focus on getting the structure right, exercise your judgement as to what e-mails you deem important/urgent and keep in mind the competencies they are testing for in the exercise (they mention this in the brief)

Case study: You are given access to a pretty substantial case bundle on one of their swanky legal-tech platforms, which you are expected to read and summarise to a partner at the beginning of the competency interview. Again, very time pressured so make a judgement as to what documents you think are important and which ones you can skim. I enjoyed this, the scenario is quite funny and laughing about it with the partner was a good way to start the next element of the AC

Competency interview: So the start of this is the case study element where you present the case study to the partner and subsequently, you get asked qs on it. This is followed by a pretty structural competency interview where you're asked the usual questions based on the competencies on their grad website.

Hope this helps, good luck!

Last edited:

Daniel Boden

Legendary Member
    Trainee
    Highest Rated Member
  • Sep 6, 2018
    Friends, a question.

One of my applications is asking me to discuss "something many people don't know about me." I'm sort of unclear how to approach this. At first, I thought maybe I should talk about my struggles growing up as a RAGING HOMOSEXUAL in a largely conservative family. But I worry that might actually be too "personal." This leads me to ask: how personal can we get here? The whole "tell us something people don't about you" seems like it gives us space to do so. I'm just worried it'll seem unprofessional. @Jessica Booker do you know if this is something recruitment teams find off-putting?
    I maybe wouldn't use that exact phrasing hahaha but as a topic I think it's perfectly acceptable and can I just say I think it's extremely admirable that you're staying true to yourself throughout the whole process! :)

SamTam99

Legendary Member
    Jan 5, 2021
    Whole-heartedly agree. There are more tried and tested methods out there that have been successfully used for such a long time. I have had conversations with members of GR directly about this and they are willing to die on the hill of Arctic Shores. This particular firm even asked current trainees to test it and there was a consensus that it was an awful method to use. Yet they went ahead with it anyway!
    This is shocking.

I think no matter the outcome from Taylor Vinters and PwC, I will be giving feedback to grad rec about how awful the assessment is!

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.