2020-21 Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jacob Miller

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Forum Team
  • Feb 15, 2020
    I am working on an application that asks "What motivates you? Please support this with an example of where you demonstrated your drive and motivation". As it says "support this with AN example" in the question, I think it is effectively asking what motivates me the most. Or would it be ok to talk about multiple things that motivate me so long as I can illustrate them all in one example?
    Keen to get some opinions on this as I am not sure if I can reading too much into the question lol
    Hi :)

If the question specifies "an" example, I would personally stick to one as you wouldn't want to be interpreted as unable to follow instructions. What I would be cognisant of, though, is to use a fairly wide-reaching motivation which allows for a more in-depth example rather than a single isolated experience which could lead to a one-dimensional response.

lilli

Star Member
    Jan 16, 2021
    I'm stuck on this question for Shoosmiths and was wondering if anyone can help. Does this want you to focus on 3 Covid-related challenges or can it be any? and does it want you to provide 3 solutions to each of them as well? Sorry if this is really obvious!!

The COVID-19 pandemic has accelerated change to our ways of working and the delivery of client service. Looking forward, consider the challenges facing the profession and describe how Shoosmiths can remain competitive and attractive to clients without compromising on profitability? There are many issues which may feed in to this answer, but we would like you to focus on your top three priorities (400)

Reactions: cloud9 and Alice G

law2021

Star Member
    Dec 1, 2020
    Hi everyone! I was wondering - if you're asked about a news story that you've been following recently, is it OK to discuss one that is US-focused, even if the firm does not have a presence in the US? If I can relate it back to the UK and/or the firm's core practice areas (and sectors) I'm assuming that would be fine, right?

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
    Staff member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    I think the only way to send bookmarks now is to click your name at the top and bookmarks then click the cog picture and copy link and paste into a message :/

I should be able to add that function back in now :).

If anyone has any suggestions for forum functionality, they are sometimes quite easy to add, so feel free to post them in our new page here. With the upgrade, it looks like there were a couple of things we missed out.

Reactions: OB

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hi everyone! I was wondering - if you're asked about a news story that you've been following recently, is it OK to discuss one that is US-focused, even if the firm does not have a presence in the US? If I can relate it back to the UK and/or the firm's core practice areas (and sectors) I'm assuming that would be fine, right?
    As long as you can link it back, yes that is fine. But just be mindful that if lots of the rest of your application or interview has other references to the US, it might be an opportunity to talk about something more UK based.

Reactions: law2021

Alice G

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Forum Team
    M&A Bootcamp
    Nov 26, 2018
    I'm stuck on this question for Shoosmiths and was wondering if anyone can help. Does this want you to focus on 3 Covid-related challenges or can it be any? and does it want you to provide 3 solutions to each of them as well? Sorry if this is really obvious!!

The COVID-19 pandemic has accelerated change to our ways of working and the delivery of client service. Looking forward, consider the challenges facing the profession and describe how Shoosmiths can remain competitive and attractive to clients without compromising on profitability? There are many issues which may feed in to this answer, but we would like you to focus on your top three priorities (400)
    Not obvious at all and you are right to check these things!

I personally see that as them wanting you to discuss three challenges and give ways to overcome them and remain competitive without sacrificing profit :)

Reactions: cloud9

Jacob Miller

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Forum Team
  • Feb 15, 2020
    While you can do this, so long as you're able to link back to UK firm issues as suggested, I would personally use something more UK-orientated - especially considering the various UK-centric issues of late which you could discuss. This is especially true if the firm don't have a presence in the US whatsoever.

Reactions: law2021

Law2022

Legendary Member
    May 3, 2020
    For NRF direct TC my PFO email started with “we read your application with great interest but...” - is this a standard email?
    I don’t know if this is a standard email. However, I saw a post a few weeks ago where someones PFO started the same way. The email also talked about not progressing to interview, even though the next step is WG. Not sure if this is helpful if your email didn’t talking about progressing to interview but just thought I’d mention it!

Jacob Miller

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Forum Team
  • Feb 15, 2020

Sounds like you're totally on the right path here! You could focus on 3 issues and matching solutions, but I wouldn't personally rule out doing at least one new opportunity and next steps combination too. While the 'rona has caused loads of challenges etc, I think in this type of question it is often good to look for the opportunities which have arisen from the challenging situation too :)

Reactions: cloud9

lilli

Star Member
    Jan 16, 2021
    Sounds like you're totally on the right path here! You could focus on 3 issues and matching solutions, but I wouldn't personally rule out doing at least one new opportunity and next steps combination too. While the 'rona has caused loads of challenges etc, I think in this type of question it is often good to look for the opportunities which have arisen from the challenging situation too :)
    Not obvious at all and you are right to check these things!

I personally see that as them wanting you to discuss three challenges and give ways to overcome them and remain competitive without sacrificing profit :)

Fab thank you both!!

• 🤝
    Reactions: MandyAA, C and Alice G

relentlesspursuit

Esteemed Member
    Junior Lawyer
    May 26, 2019
    While you can do this, so long as you're able to link back to UK firm issues as suggested, I would personally use something more UK-orientated - especially considering the various UK-centric issues of late which you could discuss. This is especially true if the firm don't have a presence in the US whatsoever.
    Hi Jacob - if asked about something similar in an interview with the London office of a US firm, would it be okay to use a story/company with a stronger nexus to the US?

AH97

Esteemed Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Jul 30, 2019
    I didn't even apply to any MC firms this year!

Fun fact, though. My first ever law job interview was with Slaughter and May which I got by a total fluke through some open day thing and was totally, totally unprepared for. It was a complete wreck. Been avoiding it ever since!

This is me with CC... Genuinely have PTSD from the M&A case study Partner interview (didn't even know what M&A was at the time 3/4 years ago), and when asked which other firms I'd applied to I said a regional firm and a US firm 🥴

Last edited:

law2021

Star Member
    Dec 1, 2020
    As long as you can link it back, yes that is fine. But just be mindful that if lots of the rest of your application or interview has other references to the US, it might be an opportunity to talk about something more UK based.
    Thank you both!

21wajsz

Legendary Member
  • Dec 3, 2020
    For the Reed Smith questions, if I received them on Tuesday, what day is “within 5 days” please? My laptop’s current state means I have nothing to type on and no alternative laptop to use till I get a new one in (hopefully) 2 days :/
    Have you received a direct answer to when it is due? Im busy with work during the weekdays so that additional full day on Saturday will be so helpful

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.