2020-21 Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

LS12

Legendary Member
Junior Lawyer
  • Apr 22, 2020
    Looking for some interview advice - a question I have always struggled to answer is the resilience once - to the point where it literally puts me off applications and throws me off my game in telephone interviews. Not because I haven’t been through stuff - I have but the stuff I would typically be like oh yeah I’ve shown resilience is pretty personal and just not suited to applications. I was just wondering how you go about answering this question in a more professional way? I’ve worked a number of roles and so I’m sure I have an experience that would be suited I just don’t know how to identify it. Sorry if this is an obvious question

Reactions: cloud9

Celestie

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    2020 Community Winner
  • Nov 14, 2020
    Looking for some interview advice - a question I have always struggled to answer is the resilience once - to the point where it literally puts me off applications and throws me off my game in telephone interviews. Not because I haven’t been through stuff - I have but the stuff I would typically be like oh yeah I’ve shown resilience is pretty personal and just not suited to applications. I was just wondering how you go about answering this question in a more professional way? I’ve worked a number of roles and so I’m sure I have an experience that would be suited I just don’t know how to identify it. Sorry if this is an obvious question
    I use personal examples all the time - I discuss the difficulties of my disability and how I've shown resilience in different places of my life. I can't speak for all firms, but for the ones I spoke to, they seemed impressed.

What's important is you show HOW you were resilient. What did you do? Was it a success? What did you learn? How will this help you as a lawyer? Has it prepared you?

E.A

Legendary Member
    M&A Bootcamp
    Junior Lawyer
    Dec 11, 2019
    Hello, this is your daily reminder to not let PFOs knock your confidence. I got three this week and was on the brink of thinking this is impossible yet again. But, no PFO can take away the hard work and time we put in to becoming better candidates! We know what we can offer and one day they'll see it too 😉😉😉

GK8997

Legendary Member
    M&A Bootcamp
    Sep 25, 2020
    So the two examples I use for this are volunteering and netball- I used an example where I/ my teammate was injured during a game (unfortunately both of these situations have occurred!), I agree with @Celestie, the most important thing is to emphasises the action in the STAR structure. I also use an example of travel issues when volunteering abroad. It really is just a situation where you've had any sort of difficulty you've had to work to overcome, which I'm sure you have plenty of!

ilovetheDLR

Star Member
  • Feb 10, 2021
    I use personal examples all the time - I discuss the difficulties of my disability and how I've shown resilience in different places of my life. I can't speak for all firms, but for the ones I spoke to, they seemed impressed.

What's important is you show HOW you were resilient. What did you do? Was it a success? What did you learn? How will this help you as a lawyer? Has it prepared you?
    Completely agree with @Celestie on this - I have also used examples around my disability and how they have made me stronger and generally partners have really liked it. Imo personal examples are super powerful as it might help you stand out and also adds to your armoury of examples in competency-based interviews.

Kablahc

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Forum Winner
  • Aug 31, 2020
    Resilience questions are my favourite ones to get in a competency interview! Like the others that have answered I use my disability as an example (it's gotta be good for something 😂 ) but, if I already used it and want to avoid mentioning it twice, I often use either my work experience or my university modules. In my experience, it's usually good to approach this with some kind of humour, and it doesn't matter if it seems 'boring'. If it's a question you struggle with, you can pick something really standard just so it doesn't throw you off your game and then shine on your other qs with a unique answer. For example this is one I sometimes use if they ask me 'tell me about a time you failed at something/showed resilience through that':

"In my first year of university, I decided to study [module]. Although I found it really interesting, I knew from the beginning it would be a challenge, because [reason]. When I got my first essay back, despite my initial confidence, I discovered I had failed miserably! But I was determined to overcome this...blah blah blah"

I think something as simple as getting a bad mark in an essay is pretty universal and not something that would make that much of an impression on an interviewer. But it does show the competency, it's easy to STAR, and it means that you won't have to get into anything too personal if you think the experience isn't appropriate. Especially if you can tie it in to something a solicitor might do -e.g. you failed the first essay but you studied really hard on the technical part of the exam and you would now feel confident on preparing advice on the subject were you to be given the opportunity at [firm]. Hope this helps in some way ☺️

sunflowerducks

Junior Lawyer
    Jun 15, 2020
    Resilience questions are my favourite ones to get in a competency interview! Like the others that have answered I use my disability as an example (it's gotta be good for something 😂 ) but, if I already used it and want to avoid mentioning it twice, I often use either my work experience or my university modules. In my experience, it's usually good to approach this with some kind of humour, and it doesn't matter if it seems 'boring'. If it's a question you struggle with, you can pick something really standard just so it doesn't throw you off your game and then shine on your other qs with a unique answer. For example this is one I sometimes use if they ask me 'tell me about a time you failed at something/showed resilience through that':

"In my first year of university, I decided to study [module]. Although I found it really interesting, I knew from the beginning it would be a challenge, because [reason]. When I got my first essay back, despite my initial confidence, I discovered I had failed miserably! But I was determined to overcome this...blah blah blah"

I think something as simple as getting a bad mark in an essay is pretty universal and not something that would make that much of an impression on an interviewer. But it does show the competency, it's easy to STAR, and it means that you won't have to get into anything too personal if you think the experience isn't appropriate. Especially if you can tie it in to something a solicitor might do -e.g. you failed the first essay but you studied really hard on the technical part of the exam and you would now feel confident on preparing advice on the subject were you to be given the opportunity at [firm]. Hope this helps in some way ☺️

Do you think it is worth mentioning struggles with mental health? I'm worried that I will be indirectly discriminated because of it.

Reactions: cloud9

LS12

Legendary Member
    Junior Lawyer
  • Apr 22, 2020

Thank you so much! This is definitely such a good idea and I’ve 100% had a few bad marks in my time haha

LS12

Legendary Member
    Junior Lawyer
  • Apr 22, 2020
    Thanks to everyone who

So the two examples I use for this are volunteering and netball- I used an example where I/ my teammate was injured during a game (unfortunately both of these situations have occurred!), I agree with @Celestie, the most important thing is to emphasises the action in the STAR structure. I also use an example of travel issues when volunteering abroad. It really is just a situation where you've had any sort of difficulty you've had to work to overcome, which I'm sure you have plenty of!

Thank you guys - this makes so much sense. I guess I was looking at resilience as needing to be something so big but all of these responses are so helpful.

Would you still use the typical STAR approach for this question?

GK8997

Legendary Member
    M&A Bootcamp
    Sep 25, 2020
    Thanks to everyone who

Thank you guys - this makes so much sense. I guess I was looking at resilience as needing to be something so big but all of these responses are so helpful.

Would you still use the typical STAR approach for this question?
    I personally have/ would just because I think it's always good to show results- it quantifies the achievement for your interviewer and also means your answers have a good structure!

Imababysolicitor

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Oct 9, 2019
    Heard back this morning from Mayer Brown, with invite to AC next week, after TI back in December, so they're still going. I've just emailed asking if I can interview directly for a TC instead though, as I can't make any of the dates due to clashes.
    Congratulations on getting to AC! Can I ask what dates were available when you looked?

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.