2020-21 Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

thewaythecookiecrumbles

Distinguished Member
Junior Lawyer
Jan 14, 2021
Oh damn what makes you think they've almost done with ACs for the London office? I thought most people were still waiting
They've had ACs this week and last week for the London office and given out offers for the VS as well so that's what makes me think they're almost done. I could be wrong though as you're right a lot of people are still waiting and I don't know how the firm's GR operates. It's not over until they say it is, so definitely don't give up on it. :)

Reactions: Rachel H

GK8997

Legendary Member
M&A Bootcamp
Sep 25, 2020
I'm in the exact same position! I emailed them yesterday and they responded today saying:

"We have received a vast number of applications this year which has resulted in us taking a little longer than usual to get back to you with an update. We will get back to you with an outcome as soon as possible. Thank you for your patience."

I think that they must be swamped!
Oooh, thank you for letting me know! This is so useful!

Reactions: AH97

cloud9

Jan 25, 2021
They've had ACs this week and last week for the London office and given out offers for the VS as well so that's what makes me think they're almost done. I could be wrong though as you're right a lot of people are still waiting and I don't know how the firm's GR operates. It's not over until they say it is, so definitely don't give up on it. :)
Makes sense! Thank you :)

GK8997

Legendary Member
M&A Bootcamp
Sep 25, 2020
Hi - I'm doing Weil's VI this weekend and can't seem to find out much information about it, does anyone know the questions they are asking this year?
Hiya- the Weil VI is quite straightforward in terms of questions- I would say just prepare the typical motivational, commercial and competency questions i.e. why the firm/ why law etc

Daniel Boden

Legendary Member
Trainee
Highest Rated Member
  • Sep 6, 2018
    Macfarlanes VS!!!

Just wanted to say a massive thank you to this community as a new member this year! Everyone has been so lovely and so keen to give help and advice and I just really appreciate it! Also if anyone has an AC coming up @Jacob Miller articles are a saviour and genuinely helped me so much!
    Brilliant news! Very happy for you and hope you are able to celebrate properly this evening :D

Reactions: kls

Jacob Miller

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Forum Team
  • Feb 15, 2020
    Looking for some interview advice - a question I have always struggled to answer is the resilience once - to the point where it literally puts me off applications and throws me off my game in telephone interviews. Not because I haven’t been through stuff - I have but the stuff I would typically be like oh yeah I’ve shown resilience is pretty personal and just not suited to applications. I was just wondering how you go about answering this question in a more professional way? I’ve worked a number of roles and so I’m sure I have an experience that would be suited I just don’t know how to identify it. Sorry if this is an obvious question
    Hey, I totally get what you mean here. For what it's worth, I've always used personal examples for this question and I feel they often carry more impact and give a better insight into you than a professional example does. It's just a matter, though, of ensuring you're comfortable enough discussing it which can be challenging. You've already been given great advice, but here's my brief 2p on the matter:

In terms of approaching the question, if you're struggling to think of an example, I would first encourage you to break down 1) what resilience really is and 2) what the question is asking you to show. Starting with point 2, it's asking you to display that you have overcome challenging circumstances in some way at some time to achieve in spite of those.

From there, think through professional experiences which you would be comfortable to discuss in an interview and build your answer therefrom.

Reactions: liverpoollawyer

pbyrne

Esteemed Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Jan 15, 2021
    Celestie: "why did you pick your username?"

Everyone: "I really want a TC", "I like UFOs not PFOs"

me:
    hungry matt leblanc GIF
    Sorry to derail the thread slightly but I've been rewatching friends - Joey and Rachel should have ended up together, Ross was the worst, this is a hill I will die on!

• Haha
    Reactions: Sel and JoeyTr

Naomi U

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Forum Team
    Dec 8, 2019
    Looking for some interview advice - a question I have always struggled to answer is the resilience once - to the point where it literally puts me off applications and throws me off my game in telephone interviews. Not because I haven’t been through stuff - I have but the stuff I would typically be like oh yeah I’ve shown resilience is pretty personal and just not suited to applications. I was just wondering how you go about answering this question in a more professional way? I’ve worked a number of roles and so I’m sure I have an experience that would be suited I just don’t know how to identify it. Sorry if this is an obvious question
    Hiya!

I completely agree with the above responses the focus here is not so much on the issue faced but how you overcame it. I think the concept of resilience is very subjective because its to do with overcoming and preserving through a crisis. What candidate A views as a crisis will naturally be different to what candidate B views as a crisis. However, the key thing here that interviewers will be looking for from both examples, is the coping methods and how such methods could be applied in the workplace.

With this in mind, I think if you approach your answer (whatever your example may be) using the STAR method, making sure to give extra attention to the action and result elements, you should be fine.

Hope this helps☺️

• ℹ️
    Reactions: Staples

Jacob Miller

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Forum Team
  • Feb 15, 2020
    Macfarlanes VS!!!

Just wanted to say a massive thank you to this community as a new member this year! Everyone has been so lovely and so keen to give help and advice and I just really appreciate it! Also if anyone has an AC coming up @Jacob Miller articles are a saviour and genuinely helped me so much!
    HUGE CONGRATS!!!

I'm chuffed that the articles have helped you 🤩🤩

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.