2020-21 Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jooooopp7

Legendary Member
Junior Lawyer
Nov 25, 2019
Currently working on an app and one of the questions is 'How do you like to work in a team? Please give evidence of this'
I'm slightly confused at what is this question is asking and how I should approach it - I think the 'how' part is throwing me a bit ahah
@Jessica Booker perhaps you would be able to advise me a bit on this? Thank you!

Jacob Miller

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Forum Team
  • Feb 15, 2020
    Currently working on an app and one of the questions is 'How do you like to work in a team? Please give evidence of this'
    I'm slightly confused at what is this question is asking and how I should approach it - I think the 'how' part is throwing me a bit ahah
    @Jessica Booker perhaps you would be able to advise me a bit on this? Thank you!
    I would say this is the opportunity to break down how you interact with other team members: for example, do you always assume a leadership role? Do you always prefer to work under instruction? Do you switch between both depending on the circumstances? You obviously then want to use an example or two to evidence this. Even though this obviously isn't a negotiation thing, I discuss team dynamics and team roles in my 'assessed negotiations' article quite extensively so you may get some ideas from scanning over that section: https://www.thecorporatelawacademy....ssed-negotiations-monday-article-series.3018/

Reactions: Alice G

Naomi U

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Forum Team
    Dec 8, 2019
    Hiya ☺️

Completely agree with Jacob here. I would also interpret the question to as asking what role do I like to play within a team. So you can probably list a few examples here that cover desirable traits such as leadership and management, as well as being a team player through examples of empathy, good listening skills etc

Reactions: Jaysen

Jooooopp7

Legendary Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Nov 25, 2019
    Hiya ☺️

Completely agree with Jacob here. I would also interpret the question to as asking what role do I like to play within a team. So you can probably list a few examples here that cover desirable traits such as leadership and management, as well as being a team player through examples of empathy, good listening skills etc
    I would say this is the opportunity to break down how you interact with other team members: for example, do you always assume a leadership role? Do you always prefer to work under instruction? Do you switch between both depending on the circumstances? You obviously then want to use an example or two to evidence this. Even though this obviously isn't a negotiation thing, I discuss team dynamics and team roles in my 'assessed negotiations' article quite extensively so you may get some ideas from scanning over that section: https://www.thecorporatelawacademy....ssed-negotiations-monday-article-series.3018/
    Ahh perfect thank you both! thats helped a lot

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    This is more about how you feel when working in teams rather than focusing on what you did within them.

Reactions: Jooooopp7

Jony

Legendary Member
    M&A Bootcamp
  • Oct 19, 2020
    Just received a Freshfields vacation scheme AC.

I know this is going to sound very entitled. But I'm not gonna lie, I already have a TC from another MC firm. I'm feeling very down about getting a MC interview while getting rejected left and right by US firms (5 rejections this week alone).

Do what you gotta do mate! Don't feel ashamed.

You're incredibly talented to get this far already and if you really wanted a US firm experience you could always take a risk and take another cycle.

Alternatively, you can always be headhunted if you put your head down and switch to a US firm post-qualification ;)

Nathan Hayes

Star Member
    Dec 18, 2020

I know this is going to sound very entitled. But I'm not gonna lie, I already have a TC from another MC firm. I'm feeling very down about getting a MC interview while getting rejected left and right by US firms (5 rejections this week alone).
    I understand we all set our own standards of failure and success etc but I feel like this is a slightly tone deaf thing to say during one of the most difficult job markets in recent history. Like you’re in a very enviable position and I congratulate you for being so successful but you seem to have an attitude that suggests what you’ve done still isn’t enough which you seem to recognise by admitting it sounds very entitled. I would just say to be proud of what you have achieved.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019

I know this is going to sound very entitled. But I'm not gonna lie, I already have a TC from another MC firm. I'm feeling very down/frustrated about getting a MC interview while getting rejected left and right by US firms (5 rejections this week alone).
    Beyond the money, what is it about US firms that you think as a group are ideal for you instead of MC firms?

LS12

Legendary Member
    Junior Lawyer
  • Apr 22, 2020
    I understand we all set our own standards of failure and success etc but I feel like this is a slightly tone deaf thing to say during one of the most difficult job markets in recent history. Like you’re in a very enviable position and I congratulate you for being so successful but you seem to have an attitude that suggests what you’ve done still isn’t enough which you seem to recognise by admitting it sounds very entitled. I would just say to be proud of what you have achieved.
    I don’t necessarily agree with this. Yes the user is in an enviable position but they acknowledge that. Just bc you have an offer doesn’t mean they can’t continue to use this platform as a sense of community.

I do believe that gaining a Tc at all is a massive achievement. But I can understand how the rejections may still bother you. I’ve not got much advice I’ll be honest, but I would say try and focus on your achievements. Securing a Tc from a magic circle firm is an amazing start to your career and will open a load of doors for you.

E.A

Legendary Member
    M&A Bootcamp
    Junior Lawyer
    Dec 11, 2019

I know this is going to sound very entitled. But I'm not gonna lie, I already have a TC from another MC firm. I'm feeling very down/frustrated about getting a MC interview while getting rejected left and right by US firms (5 rejections this week alone).
    I always thought I wouldn't care as long as I got that one TC offer, but perhaps if I was in your shoes I would too. All I can say is, well done!

Nathan Hayes

Star Member
    Dec 18, 2020
    I don’t necessarily agree with this. Yes the user is in an enviable position but they acknowledge that. Just bc you have an offer doesn’t mean they can’t continue to use this platform as a sense of community.

I do believe that gaining a Tc at all is a massive achievement. But I can understand how the rejections may still bother you. I’ve not got much advice I’ll be honest, but I would say try and focus on your achievements. Securing a Tc from a magic circle firm is an amazing start to your career and will open a load of doors for you.
    I’m not saying they can’t or shouldn’t use this forum as a sense of community but many posts including the one mentioned do come across quite poorly in my opinion because they fail to recognise their own success and continue to put themselves down when they’re in a much better position to many other people.
    I recognise they really wanted an opportunity at a US firm and being rejected from a dream firm can be very demoralising but when you already have a training contract in the magic circle and you’re complaining there is a danger of coming across as ungrateful which I think is what I disliked about the original post.

But I want to stress again, congratulations and I hope you are proud of your achievement.

Jony

Legendary Member
    M&A Bootcamp
  • Oct 19, 2020
    I think one of the best parts of the TCLA community is that everyone meets here with their own definition of success. We meet here all trying to encourage each other as we pursue that personal success we’re aiming to shoot for.

Even if someone gets a TC, that might not be what, to them, is what they want in life! It would be different if someone said “I want 3 TCs to feel contented.” But if someone wants the US experience over a UK one, I’d say that’s just being real to what’s successful for them (and therefore perfectly legitimate! I know a friend who got offered 7 vac schemes but turned away from commercial law to go into academia. He ‘made it’, but didn’t want it.) What’s helpful as a community is I reckon asking them questions to help them figure out their way.

We’re all allowed to disagree, and I see your point, but I’d put forward that this friend has a definition of success in a personality and person you and I can’t see beyond his username :)

Last edited:

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    I think one of the best parts of the TCLA community is that everyone meets here with their own definition of success. We meet here all trying to encourage each other as we pursue that personal success we’re aiming to shoot for.

Even if someone gets a TC, that might not be what, to them, is what they want in life! It would be different if someone said “I want 3 TCs to feel contented.” But if someone wants the US experience over a UK one, I’d say that’s just being real to what’s successful for them!

We’re all allowed to disagree, and I see your point, but I’d put forward that this friend has a definition of success in a personality and person you and I can’t see beyond his username :)
    Great post - completely agree with this.

The individual caveated their post with a comment to say they knew it may not be appreciated by others but was putting themselves out there because they needed advice and guidance. Everyone is entitled to that advice no matter how much success they have/don't have.

Numerius Negidius

Legendary Member
    Aug 8, 2020
    I completely see how my post would have been tone-deaf and apologise for any harm caused.
    Beyond the money, what is it about US firms that you think as a group are ideal for you instead of MC firms?
    I have some personal circumstances I'd rather not disclose that make me want to move to the US in the future. Of course it's not going to be easy to make this move no matter what firm I end up at, but I feel that the path is a lot clearer at a US firm

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.