2020-21 Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

LegalNim

Legendary Member
Nov 14, 2019
I had such a horrible experience with Aspiring Solicitors last year. A timetable change meant that I couldn't attend one of their events I had signed up to. I sent them an email a week or two before the actual event and got SUCH an abusive reply. That just completely put me off ever doing anything with them again.
I had a similar experience. I was on AS Aspire and as a result of my disability was hospitalised at short notice. I contacted them to tell them and got a really sharp response telling me that it was my "final warning" (this was the first time I'd ever not attended) and that I must give 48 hours notice in future (I had given in excess of 48 hours notice but when I was hospitalised on the Monday, I knew I wouldn't be able to attend on the Friday). It was a really awful experience.
HOWEVER, I've also had my life completely changed by them as an organisation. Chris White is one of the most unbelievable human beings I have ever met and works tirelessly to support people in every possible way. Gemma Baker (who now works for Willkie's Grad Rec) completely changed my entire perspective on applications, law firms and life in general. My mentor at firms, the countless people who've checked applications, run mock interviews, attended sessions and give up their free time have honestly enabled me to access a world I never thought I could be an "insider" in.
I have more respect for Aspiring Solicitors than perhaps any other organisation I've ever interacted with - and if I win the Euromillions tonight then they should expect a hefty donation tomorrow morning.

GK8997

Legendary Member
M&A Bootcamp
Sep 25, 2020
Ok that makes sense - do you mean exclusively VS Schemes? I’ve been working in legal/professional roles for 16 months now so I assume that would easily cover that
No I don't think they specify VS Scheme though it would definitely be a bonus! I would say though that TC recruitment rates vary from firm to firm so it would probably be best to talk to GR about this before you apply!

Reactions: Sebastian Clark

KS94

Esteemed Member
Junior Lawyer
  • Mar 21, 2018
    So anyway in other CC news https://t.co/zlwvQEFuZe 🤣

Try reaching out to Harri Davies as well. I was on the Aspire scheme last year and if I remember correctly he headed up most of the liasing with firms for different events and fast track schemes AS have.

I’m really sorry to hear that so many people on the forum have had a less than great experience with AS. The Aspire scheme helped me in so many ways and when I had to cancel attending a Dechert event the night before due to medical reasons they were very understanding about it.

AS sponsorships from these firms must ride hugely on specific numbers showing up to events and I generally get the feeling that they are very understaffed. So I suppose the responses people get from them vary depending on whose in charge of that particular event and how over/under subscribed it is (I know they have wait lists as well for events and send people invites when original attendees cancel)

I’m in no way trying to make excuses on their behalf. I’m shocked to see that they’ve been rude in some instances and I honestly feel pretty disappointed (especially because I rave about them to anyone who does ask me for advice on the process). I really hope they have been improving or are at least trying to improve these things.

Thanks for this.

My aim is to secure a TC then reach out to initiatives like AS (there are quite a few others too) that aim to improve diversity and offer some assistance.

Most initiatives will have ran their programmes already but for the next cycle I want to create a new thread and share all the initiatives here on TCLA as I know Jaysen and Jessica are passionate about diversity.

I firmly believe a combination of TCLA's scholarships with these initiatives (and the introduction of the SQE) will do more to improve diversity than any of the previous attempts by the Law Society.

2020Applicant

Junior Lawyer
    Jan 22, 2021
    I have an utterly stupid and pedantic question that has been playing on my mind. Upon accepting a vacation scheme offer, would a firm perceive me badly if I did not post this on LinkedIn. I'm not fond of posting on LinkedIn for a few reasons and generally don't do so.

I know it's highly unlikely the firm would be stalking my LinkedIn page but I was just wondering since most people do tend to post their acceptances.

tractor12

Legendary Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Oct 6, 2019
    I have an utterly stupid and pedantic question that has been playing on my mind. Upon accepting a vacation scheme offer, would a firm perceive me badly if I did not post this on LinkedIn. I'm not fond of posting on LinkedIn for a few reasons and generally don't do so.

I know it's highly unlikely the firm would be stalking my LinkedIn page but I was just wondering since most people do tend to post their acceptances.
    No they won't care

Reactions: OB

HorsesForCoursesNeighNeighNeigh

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Premium Member
    Forum Winner
    M&A Bootcamp
    Dec 1, 2020

I actually legitimately had the same thought 🤣 because if I do get one I wouldn't, even though I'm very active on LinkedIn. I wouldn't want people in my current sector knowing unless/until I secure a TC.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    I have more respect for Aspiring Solicitors than perhaps any other organisation I've ever interacted with - and if I win the Euromillions tonight then they should expect a hefty donation tomorrow morning.
    You have just reminded me too buy a lottery ticket....:D

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019

They really won't care.

Andrew M

Legendary Member
    Forum Winner
    Jan 7, 2020

Erm I'm pretty sure that not posting your VS offer on LinkedIn is illegal.

Dheepa

Legendary Member
    Staff member
    Future Trainee
    TCLA Moderator
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    M&A Bootcamp
    Junior Lawyer 43
  • Jan 20, 2019

I have a lot of respect for the people that don’t immediately post long acceptance speeches on LinkedIn...so I mean I think it could actually be seen as a positive 😅

In all seriousness I didn’t even have LinkedIn when I got my TC offers so you’re probably good

breadpitt

Esteemed Member
    Junior Lawyer
  • Jan 21, 2021
    Same, plus I assume the cover letter and the 3 questions are SEPARATE documents?
    Hey I am! I was wondering what kind of length people are aiming for in response to the 3 questions as I couldn't find a word count on their website - am I right in thinking there isn't one or have I missed something?

2020Applicant

Junior Lawyer
    Jan 22, 2021
    I actually legitimately had the same thought 🤣 because if I do get one I wouldn't, even though I'm very active on LinkedIn. I wouldn't want people in my current sector knowing unless/until I secure a TC.
    That's exactly my thinking! It's such a random thought to have but I just find the posts so awkward to make 😂

Andrew M

Legendary Member
    Forum Winner
    Jan 7, 2020
    I have a lot of respect for the people that don’t immediately post long acceptance speeches on LinkedIn...so I mean I think it could actually be seen as a positive 😅

In all seriousness I didn’t even have LinkedIn when I got my TC offers so you’re probably good
    Me on LinkedIn if I get a VS offer:
    halle berry omg GIF by The Academy Awards

Jacob Miller

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Forum Team
  • Feb 15, 2020

Not a stupid question at all!

Like others have said, it is of no consequence.

Personally I didn't put up a post when I got vac schemes, but did when I got my TC offer/ when I accepted it. How you use LinkedIn is also very personal to you, too. I personally don't post much to it, aside from sharing some TCLA posts, mainly if it's something I've been involved in. That said, I'm not super busy on any of my social media platforms (I only use Facebook, Insta and LinkedIn) so that's not necessarily surprising. Really is horses for courses, totally up to you how you go about it :)

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.