2020-21 Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

sabma

Esteemed Member
Junior Lawyer
Sep 22, 2018
Just to add my 2 cents on this. Personally, I find some of the long LinkedIn posts incredibly cringeworthy and self-aggrandising to the point where they are almost nauseating. Recently, I saw someone post how they were thrilled to have had the opportunity to APPLY for a vac scheme and I nearly lost it I won't lie 😂

Fair enough if you have overcome a lot of challenging circumstances that life has thrown at you to get a vac scheme or a TC in which case, by all means, be proud of your achievement and shout about as, in my opinion, you have more than earned the right to!

However, if you were fortunate to grow up in a relatively privileged position with family contacts/school network etc. (you guys know where I'm going with this) then personally I think those posts can be so over-the-top and completely unnecessary and make you across as a bit of a t**t to be honest but that's just me.

I was much more inclined to just do the more subtle job update for that very reason as I have been very lucky to have had certain opportunities which is why I really enjoy trying to give back and help/pass on the knowledge I've gained to those who have not been as lucky as I was - it's definitely a big part of the reason why I love answering queries and being a part of TCLA :)

Apologies for the semi-rant but seeing all these posts on LinkedIn annoys me especially when I know how difficult and dispiriting it can be for candidates who are striving for VS and TC places to see them constantly on their feed... anyway, obviously, people can do what they want but I think there's a reason why those posts are often such good material for legal meme pages such as Slaughtered and Dismayed, CityLawBois etc... ;)
This is why I encourage those who make these success posts to include tips. Include the resources you used for interview or commercial awareness. Don't just flex/boast, also help.

NadineBusty

Valued Member
Aug 21, 2019
Just to add my 2 cents on this. Personally, I find some of the long LinkedIn posts incredibly cringeworthy and self-aggrandising to the point where they are almost nauseating. Recently, I saw someone post how they were thrilled to have had the opportunity to APPLY for a vac scheme and I nearly lost it I won't lie 😂

Fair enough if you have overcome a lot of challenging circumstances that life has thrown at you to get a vac scheme or a TC in which case, by all means, be proud of your achievement and shout about as, in my opinion, you have more than earned the right to!

However, if you were fortunate to grow up in a relatively privileged position with family contacts/school network etc. (you guys know where I'm going with this) then personally I think those posts can be so over-the-top and completely unnecessary and make you across as a bit of a t**t to be honest but that's just me.

I was much more inclined to just do the more subtle job update for that very reason as I have been very lucky to have had certain opportunities which is why I really enjoy trying to give back and help/pass on the knowledge I've gained to those who have not been as lucky as I was - it's definitely a big part of the reason why I love answering queries and being a part of TCLA :)

Apologies for the semi-rant but seeing all these posts on LinkedIn annoys me especially when I know how difficult and dispiriting it can be for candidates who are striving for VS and TC places to see them constantly on their feed... anyway, obviously, people can do what they want but I think there's a reason why those posts are often such good material for legal meme pages such as Slaughtered and Dismayed, CityLawBois etc... ;)

Totally agree with this!!! Some linkedin posts are incredibly ridiculous.

Last edited:

TheLegend27

Premium Member
  • Jan 23, 2021
    Do you mind me asking when you completed your WG for Freshfields? I completed mine on the 7th of February, and my percentile was 93% and have not heard back yet, but have heard of people being invited to an AC who have scored lower than that!
    No worries at all, I completed mine on the 25th of Jan so I reckon that they'd take 3-4 weeks to get back to you. That's fair, perhaps their personal statement pulled up their average score. Best of luck with your app!

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
    Staff member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018

It sounds like you've been waiting to say this for some time 😉

I see the odd post that is a bit much, but I don't really see a problem with it. I think it's nice to have some positivity and these often seem to be candidates who are making the first step in their journey. Perfectly fine if some people prefer not to post publicly either - I think it's just down to the person.

It's also often unclear the barriers someone faced before they post. I know many will be put off by some of the posts, but you never know how hard someone had to work to get to where they are.

One of the legal meme pages you mentioned did reach out to ask about sponsorship (and we've sponsored another in the past). I think they can be a lot of fun 95% of the time, but they can also perpetuate stuff about the legal profession that isn't really great.

Andrew M

Legendary Member
    Forum Winner
    Jan 7, 2020

I see the odd post that is a bit much, but I don't really see a problem with it. I think it's nice to have some positivity and these often seem to be candidates who are making the first step in their journey. Perfectly fine if some people prefer not to post publicly either - I think it's just down to the person.
    Also, just to add that it can be useful for future applicants. For example, I reached out to those of my connections who secured VS offers last year for some tips on the application process for the firms I applied to this year.

Asil Ahmad

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Forum Winner
  • Mar 29, 2020

I agree with you Daniel

• 🤝
    Reactions: Daniel Boden

FM302989

Legendary Member
    Junior Lawyer
  • Oct 16, 2020

I despise Linkedin as a platform for all these reasons and more. Full of lies, boasts and brown-nosing. When I've had some success, a VS/job offer, I tell my friends and family, and not social media

CityLawBois is a quality page, as is allen.and.overit and the below are decent for general LinkedIn garbage

S87

Legendary Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Sep 4, 2018
    For those wondering if Dechert has sent out VIs:

- they have sent out VIs since the start of Jan
    - they've had at least 2 ACs so far

It seems to be quite staggered, so I think they're recruiting in batches. I did my VI last week, and applied on the deadline.
    Well I can say goodbye to them..

S87

Legendary Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Sep 4, 2018

And that's why you are my man!
    my boy yes GIF by Steve Harvey TV

Daniel Boden

Legendary Member
    Trainee
    Highest Rated Member
  • Sep 6, 2018
    Also, just to add that it can be useful for future applicants. For example, I reached out to those of my connections who secured VS offers last year for some tips on the application process for the firms I applied to this year.

It's also often unclear the barriers someone faced before they post. I know many will be put off by some of the posts, but you never know how hard someone had to work to get to where they are.
    Hahaha tbh I'd just seen an over-the-top post (imo) literally that evening so it was still fresh in my mind! 😂

To be clear this isn't just bashing people posting their successes full stop as I agree it can be useful for many reasons one of which you mentioned @Andrew M. I just think that a shorter message does the job on both counts.

Maybe it was how I was raised, but rather than some of the longer, massively self-aggrandising posts, to me you can do it more subtly and have the same effect but obviously each to their own.

Just think it's important to think about how you'll come across to both your friends and your other professional connections and even your colleagues as it may not be the first impression you want to give

Last edited:

Asil Ahmad

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Forum Winner
  • Mar 29, 2020
    In regards to posting your success on Linkedin about securing your vacation scheme, I agree with both Jaysen and Daniel.

I agree with Jaysen because securing a VS is not easy it is a dream which it lots of hard work so you should be proud of telling people about your success.

I agree with Daniel because when I did the legal cheek vacation scheme in July last year people did really long posts and posts about doing the legal cheek vacation scheme when everyone got accepted onto it. This is why I think some people post too much stuff on Linkedin.

But don't get me wrong posting on Linkedin your success is good.

Daniel Boden

Legendary Member
    Trainee
    Highest Rated Member
  • Sep 6, 2018

Andrew M

Legendary Member
    Forum Winner
    Jan 7, 2020
    In regards to posting your success on Linkedin about securing your vacation scheme, I agree with both Jaysen and Daniel.

I agree with Jaysen because securing a VS is not easy it is a dream which it lots of hard work so you should be proud of telling people about your success.

I agree with Daniel because when I did the legal cheek vacation scheme in July last year people did really long posts and posts about doing the legal cheek vacation scheme when everyone got accepted onto it. This is why I think some people post too much stuff on Linkedin.

But don't get me wrong posting on Linkedin your success is good.
    I don't completely agree with the point regarding students posting about taking part in events like the Legal Cheek scheme. I've heard a few Grad Rec say that they will look at a candidates profile to see what they've been up to. These kinds of posts (when done properly) indicate that a student is proactive, which is something that many - if not all - firms look for in a trainee.

Kola

Legendary Member
    Sep 27, 2020
    I despise Linkedin as a platform for all these reasons and more. Full of lies, boasts and brown-nosing. When I've had some success, a VS/job offer, I tell my friends and family, and not social media

CityLawBois is a quality page, as is allen.and.overit and the below are decent for general LinkedIn garbage

@Citylawbois and @slaughteranddismayed are by far the best commercial law insta meme pages. Check em out if you want to have a good laugh (and feel insecure).

Asil Ahmad

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Forum Winner
  • Mar 29, 2020
    I don't completely agree with the point regarding students posting about taking part in events like the Legal Cheek scheme. I've heard a few Grad Rec say that they will look at a candidates profile to see what they've been up to. These kinds of posts (when done properly) indicate that a student is proactive, which is something that many - if not all - firms look for in a trainee.
    I meant you could just do a small post but doing a long post about something that was available to everyone I don't agree with.

I didn't know that they look at people's profiles so will they look at a candidate LinkedIn profile at the online application form stage or later in the process.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.