2020-21 Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

E.A

Legendary Member
M&A Bootcamp
Junior Lawyer
Dec 11, 2019
Guys, a very random question but out of interest, how did you react when you got a VS offer or a TC offer? I wonder what my actual reaction will be and would love to hear some of yours 🤩
Behind The Scenes Dancing GIF by Boston Celtics

cloud9

Jan 25, 2021
Hi everyone! Just wondering how to respond to VI questions along the lines of “what challenges would a lawyer face in a virtual environment?" etc - should you just list the challenges themselves or should you go a step further and relate it to yourself and discuss how you would cope in this situation? Same goes for other questions like "what qualities should a lawyer have?" - do you need to link this back to yourself or not? Thanks in advance :)

tractor12

Legendary Member
Junior Lawyer
Oct 6, 2019
I hear that but you can just put it as an entry on your profile and achieve the same objective no? Why the need to do a boastful post about an event which you don't need to do anything to get onto other than signing up for it?

Absolutely no issue if you want to make a post about what you learned/people you spoke to/what you enjoyed etc. but I remember seeing various people posting in such a way that it seemed as though they were boasting about how they got onto the scheme when in reality anyone could have done so and that didn't seem right to me but that's just my opinion anyway
I completely agree and I would never post something like that. I find it quite amusing when I see people post about getting accepted to things like that or a networking event. But I don't think it's necessarily wrong to do it, it doesn't really impact anyone else

Daniel Boden

Legendary Member
Trainee
Highest Rated Member
  • Sep 6, 2018
    Guys, a very random question but out of interest, how did you react when you got a VS offer or a TC offer? I wonder what my actual reaction will be and would love to hear some of yours 🤩
    An immense sense of relief followed by various hugs and happy tears from me and my family and then a fair bit of celebrating ensued haha

Edit: I really wish it would be possible to have those phone calls recorded to replay and go over because they're a pretty special moment! You'll know what I mean WHEN you get one yourself if you haven't already :)

Naomi U

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Forum Team
    Dec 8, 2019
    Hi everyone! Just wondering how to respond to VI questions along the lines of “what challenges would a lawyer face in a virtual environment?" etc - should you just list the challenges themselves or should you go a step further and relate it to yourself and discuss how you would cope in this situation? Same goes for other questions like "what qualities should a lawyer have?" - do you need to link this back to yourself or not? Thanks in advance :)
    Hiya!

My personal take would be to answer more generally rather than relate it to myself. Instead, you can go into more detail explaining what the challenges are, why these challenges are likely and how could they could be resolved ☺️

• ℹ️
    Reactions: cloud9

S87

Legendary Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Sep 4, 2018
    Me..two different reactions! In London..run to the pub with my fiancé while in Italy..down to the beach with a nice frittata e maccheroni, peroni and family!

collie_121

Esteemed Member
    Future Trainee
    Sep 30, 2020
    I hear that but you can just put it as an entry on your profile and achieve the same objective no? Why the need to do a boastful post about an event which you don't need to do anything to get onto other than signing up for it?

Absolutely no issue if you want to make a post about what you learned/people you spoke to/what you enjoyed etc. but I remember seeing various people posting in such a way that it seemed as though they were boasting about how they got onto the scheme when in reality anyone could have done so and that didn't seem right to me but that's just my opinion anyway
    I wish someone taught me about LinkedIn etiquette before I was let loose on the app. Some of these posts defo called me out hahahaha I've learned my lesson and edited my posts

Naomi U

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Forum Team
    Dec 8, 2019
    I always seemed to be in public 😅 so it was very muffed emotions until I got home (I'm sure I got some weird stares, seemed a bit too happy for a regular day)

Last edited:
    Reactions: E.A

FM302989

Legendary Member
    Junior Lawyer
  • Oct 16, 2020
    I am nervous for the "what other firms have you applied to?" question in an interview. Quite honestly this cycle I have only applied to one - due to working 20hrs a week and studying LPC full time, and have struggled with rejection in the past, but really wanted to apply for this firm.

Obviously I know the firm's competitors, and i guess they want to know if i have applied to them but will my interviewer think I can't manage my time properly etc due to the fact I have only applied to one firm this year?
    I think it's a test of motivation, but forum please correct me if I'm wrong. I think they're looking to see that you've applied to similar firms in terms of size, culture, work, practice areas etc. I don't think firms are jealous if you apply elsewhere as they understand that candidates have got to make opportunities for themselves.

For instance, if you say you have applied to a huge Magic Circle firm, a boutique family law practice, and a local solicitors down the road it doesn't look as convincing that you want to do the work of a multinational corporate law firm? I think anyway

Last edited:
    Reactions: OB and Matt_96

tractor12

Legendary Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Oct 6, 2019
    When I got a VS after bombing one of the exercises I asked the recruiter "are you sure?" about 10 times in the five minute call..

FM302989

Legendary Member
    Junior Lawyer
  • Oct 16, 2020
    I wish someone taught me about LinkedIn etiquette before I was let loose on the app. Some of these posts defo called me out hahahaha I've learned my lesson and edited my posts
    LOL! Life is about growth and learning my friend!

Becoming an adult means you don't have to do a LinkedIn post whenever you lick an office's floor

Naomi U

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Forum Team
    Dec 8, 2019
    I think it's a test of motivation, but forum please correct me if I'm wrong. I thin they're looking to see that you've applied to similar firms in terms of size, culture, work, practice areas etc. I don't think firms are jealous if you apply elsewhere as they understand that candidates have got to make opportunities for themselves.

For instance, if you say you have applied to a huge Magic Circle firm, a boutique family law practice, and a local solicitors down the road it doesn't look as convincing that you want to do the work of a multinational corporate law firm? I think anyway
    I agree, this is how I've always interpreted this question.

Reactions: FM302989

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
    Staff member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    I think it's a test of motivation, but forum please correct me if I'm wrong. I thin they're looking to see that you've applied to similar firms in terms of size, culture, work, practice areas etc. I don't think firms are jealous if you apply elsewhere as they understand that candidates have got to make opportunities for themselves.

Yep ^

It's fine if you haven't applied to similar firms though, it's all about demonstrating that you've thought about why you're applying to the firms you've applied to.

For example, if you've applied to very different firms - a firm would quite rightly ask about that. That said, that's also fine, provided you can explain why you made those decisions. For example, you may have first felt you would be more interested in a larger global law firm, but your experience made you realise that you would be better suited to a small trainee intake.

FM302989

Legendary Member
    Junior Lawyer
  • Oct 16, 2020
    When I got a VS after bombing one of the exercises I asked the recruiter "are you sure?" about 10 times in the five minute call..

Well it was April/May last year when I got mine so I couldn't go out. I called the Senior Private Client Solicitor at my firm who's like a mentor to me. His response was 'What's a Vacation Scheme?'. How times have changed!

stemlawgal

Distinguished Member
    M&A Bootcamp
  • Jul 8, 2020
    Hey, I obviously am no expert but I’ve met quite a few trainees at firms who were on years abroad when they got hired! Most firms in general I think are quite accommodating as they understand you may be on a year abroad or even live abroad, but obviously will differ on a firm to firm basis. I suggest maybe emailing the firms you’re most interested in now and explaining your situation, as then also you can be prepared next year in case they do need you to fly back/have a video call etc

Hope this helps! I’m no expert but I remember speaking to a trainee who was hired whilst she was on a gap year working on a boat haha

Personally when I was on year abroad, all firms said I would have to return to the UK if I was invited to AC which being in Australia wasn't really possible for me. Especially as they would only cover maybe £100 in travel costs to the interview ... I would hope they would be more accommodating now they have experience of virtual ACs

I queried this with HSF when I went on a year abroad and they were ok with doing a virtual assessment (maybe because it was my first year of applying and I sounded like I was begging for my life😂) So just ask them before you apply :)

Amazing, thanks so much for all this! Will definitely check with the firms in advance and pray they take pity 😂 Hopefully with covid moving assessments online they won't be averse to continuing it in the future

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.