2020-21 Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

AH97

Esteemed Member
Junior Lawyer
Jul 30, 2019
Guys, a very random question but out of interest, how did you react when you got a VS offer or a TC offer? I wonder what my actual reaction will be and would love to hear some of yours 🤩
Behind The Scenes Dancing GIF by Boston Celtics
Cried on the phone to grad rec (lol) and then opened the champagne 🥂

FM302989

Legendary Member
Junior Lawyer
  • Oct 16, 2020
    Mishon PFO. Applied on 21 December. I have no motivation after all these rejections. Just feel like I'm spending endless time and resources on nothing. So so gutted.
    My friend, we've ALL been there! That's the backbone of this forum after all!

Sometimes it takes time to get better at the application process, other times its a numbers game and luck.

Pick up your crown, take care of yourself and keep going!

Daniel Boden

Legendary Member
    Trainee
    Highest Rated Member
  • Sep 6, 2018
    Bit of a rogue question here: it's looking like I'll need to do another round of apps next cycle, since this year has been a bust. Only issue is that (covid-allowing) I'm due to be on the other side of the world from the middle of July for my year abroad. Will firms accommodate me when it comes to interviews and allow me to participate in ACs virtually, or would I be expected to come back to the UK to interview in person?
    Are you coming back to the UK at all? For my year abroad a couple of years ago I had maybe a month in between countries so was luckily able to schedule all my interviews in that short 3 or 4 week window haha but I do know that some firms allow you to do interviews virtually and I imagine they'll be all the more flexible since they've been running interviews virtually for all of this cycle.

Reactions: stemlawgal

Matt_96

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
  • Dec 15, 2018
    I think it's a test of motivation, but forum please correct me if I'm wrong. I think they're looking to see that you've applied to similar firms in terms of size, culture, work, practice areas etc. I don't think firms are jealous if you apply elsewhere as they understand that candidates have got to make opportunities for themselves.

For instance, if you say you have applied to a huge Magic Circle firm, a boutique family law practice, and a local solicitors down the road it doesn't look as convincing that you want to do the work of a multinational corporate law firm? I think anyway

Yes I agree. I've always just answered this question by saying the names of two firms I'd applied to that were most similar in profile. I.e. if applying to Addleshaws, I'd mention Pinsent Masons or Eversheds etc.

Jony

Legendary Member
    M&A Bootcamp
  • Oct 19, 2020
    Guys, a very random question but out of interest, how did you react when you got a VS offer or a TC offer? I wonder what my actual reaction will be and would love to hear some of yours 🤩
    I'm was in the UK while my family was in Singapore when the Skadden offer arrived.

I videocalled my mom and dad and told them in the most serious face possible, that I didn't get it:

My mom: "Don't lie, I can see it your face. I'm your mother, you know."

The Real Housewives Of Beverly Hills Cat GIF by moodman

stemlawgal

Distinguished Member
    M&A Bootcamp
  • Jul 8, 2020
    Are you coming back to the UK at all? For my year abroad a couple of years ago I had maybe a month in between countries so was luckily able to schedule all my interviews in that short 3 or 4 week window haha but I do know that some firms allow you to do interviews virtually and I imagine they'll be all the more flexible since they've been running interviews virtually for all of this cycle.
    Since I'll be going to Aus it depends what the border situation is like. Their summer holiday will run around the time of ACs so I could potentially come back if I absolutely need to.

Reactions: Daniel Boden

ola830

Star Member
    Jan 9, 2021
    I did this VI for my top firm just over two weeks ago and since then total silence!

I am getting really frustrated and restless, constantly checking my emails. I know quite a few people who have been progressed within a couple or so days after completing the VI, and most of them completed their VIs after me...I just don’t understand why I seem to be waiting much longer than other people. Especially since they said they will be reviewing the VI on a rolling basis.

I feel like it won’t be good news but why take sooooo long to let me know?? I also think what if they didn’t receive my video responses? This is such a nightmare and I don’t know how much longer I can take this.

M1999

Legendary Member
    Nov 28, 2019
    I did this VI for my top firm just over two weeks ago and since then total silence!

I am getting really frustrated and restless, constantly checking my emails. I know quite a few people who have been progressed within a couple or so days after completing the VI, and most of them completed their VIs after me...I just don’t understand why I seem to be waiting much longer than other people. Especially since they said they will be reviewing the VI on a rolling basis.

I feel like it won’t be good news but why take sooooo long to let me know?? I also think what if they didn’t receive my video responses? This is such a nightmare and I don’t know how much longer I can take this.
    I’m in exactly the same position and it’s so frustrating I always think my application or my VI got lost somehow

• 🤝
    Reactions: ola830

tractor12

Legendary Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Oct 6, 2019
    Mishcon PFO. Applied on 21 December. I have no motivation after all these rejections. Just feel like I'm spending endless time and resources on nothing. So so gutted.
    Sorry to hear! I think Mishcon's app is a bit hit and miss - some people who applied on the deadline heard back straight away, I think you could have just been unlucky! Just keep going - the process is designed to cut people who give up easily, I'm sure you will hear positive news soon :)

Andrew M

Legendary Member
    Forum Winner
    Jan 7, 2020
    I hear that but you can just put it as an entry on your profile and achieve the same objective no? Why the need to do a boastful post about an event which you don't need to do anything to get onto other than signing up for it?

Absolutely no issue if you want to make a post about what you learned/people you spoke to/what you enjoyed etc. but I remember seeing various people posting in such a way that it seemed as though they were boasting about how they got onto the scheme when in reality anyone could have done so and that didn't seem right to me but that's just my opinion anyway
    I do understand your point and I would agree with you personally that some do go OTT. I just don't really see how it harms anybody so this feels a tad judgmental to me. Anyway, we've gone off topic.

Reactions: MakingMyWayDowntown

cryingoverTCs

Legendary Member
  • Mar 1, 2020
    guys I'm prepping for a video interview and I was thinking about the question 'why law' - is this the same as 'why commercial law?' or 'why international commercial law?'
    furthermore, if I'm applying to an international commercial law firm, would they even ask me 'why law' or would it be implied that they mean 'why international commercial law?'

Pallatablelawyer

Legendary Member
    Jun 12, 2019

I am so sorry man.. I know how you feel.. for me it’s the same way an AC that I’ve been waiting just over a week for a reply when they have offers just a few days later.. it’s clearly a rejection for me which I get but like it’s crazy that they make us wait man it’s the most frustrating thing.. I would say fingers crossed just try to focus on doing other things and trying it out it out of your mind.. then looking ahead and staying positive just in case. It’s super frustrating but I got you

• 🤝
    Reactions: ola830 and OB

tractor12

Legendary Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Oct 6, 2019
    guys I'm prepping for a video interview and I was thinking about the question 'why law' - is this the same as 'why commercial law?' or 'why international commercial law?'
    furthermore, if I'm applying to an international commercial law firm, would they even ask me 'why law' or would it be implied that they mean 'why international commercial law?'
    I would answer why commercial law and if part of your answer involves the international nature of the profession then include it!

• Love
    Reactions: cryingoverTCs
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.