2020-21 Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Abbie4329

Distinguished Member
Jul 21, 2020
Fellow Grads/Slightly older applicants - what firms have people been targeting?

I’ve been trying to go for firms that don’t use apply4law (they often require grade breakdowns and mine are sh*te), but obviously some firms will lean more towards valuing professional experience?

Just putting together the straight TC strategy now and making sure the apps are going to the right places!
I’ve done Baker Mckenzie and white and case so far for direct Tc.

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
Staff member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Premium Member
M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    When the interview question is something like "tell us about a recent commercial story you've been following" is it better to discuss a specific headline and its implications? or can it be better to discuss general trends in the market like ESG or investment in tech and tie it back to law firms?

I'm of the view that you don't have to link it to law firms - the firm is genuinely asking about a commercial topic you are interested in, so you don't need to make this link unprompted.

There's no harm in doing the latter, it just can lead to candidates discussing uninspiring topics because they're trying to answer a question they think the interviewer is asking.

OB

Legendary Member
    2020 Community Winner
    Junior Lawyer
  • Feb 10, 2020
    I have a friend who doesn't have TCLA but was wondering -

Is anyone waiting to hear back from Orrick post-2022 TC AC following a vac scheme app from last cycle? Would be good to see if anyone else is still waiting like she is? :)

Asil Ahmad

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Forum Winner
  • Mar 29, 2020
    Is anyone else checking TCLA as much as they do their emails? It is a proper routine now - emails, TCLA, emails, TCLA lol

200.gif
    This is so me like every hour I check my emails and TCL forum more often than I check my WhatsApp and my socials do I need a life or what lok

E.A

Legendary Member
    M&A Bootcamp
    Junior Lawyer
    Dec 11, 2019
    I'm of the view that you don't have to link it to law firms - the firm is genuinely asking about a commercial topic you are interested in, so you don't need to make this link unprompted.

There's no harm in doing the latter, it just can lead to candidates discussing uninspiring topics because they're trying to answer a question they think the interviewer is asking.
    This is what I fear when choosing a topic as I end up desperately trying to make it relevant to the firm and it might come across a bit forced. Thanks for confirming this Jaysen.

Reactions: C

E.A

Legendary Member
    M&A Bootcamp
    Junior Lawyer
    Dec 11, 2019
    I have a friend who doesn't have TCLA but was wondering -

Is anyone waiting to hear back from Orrick post-2022 TC AC following a vac scheme app from last cycle? Would be good to see if anyone else is still waiting like she is? :)
    I am waiting for my Orrick outcome for direct TC 2022 (applied May 2020) and grad rec said they are STILL reviewing these applications. No idea what's going on and yes, incredibly frustrating as this was my best app to date. Just to confirm, has your friend had the AC for direct TC 2022?!

• 🤝
    • Wow
    Reactions: OB and collie_121
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.