2020-21 Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Numerius Negidius

Legendary Member
Aug 8, 2020
Curious mate - if you didn't want a MC TC, why'd you apply for links and FF?

Waiting alongside you for Cooley, and I wouldn't cancel out Mofo just yet - they take a while to get back to folks.

Cooley's AC is absolutely intense though - something to hopefully look forward to!
I applied to both before I received the TC elsewhere, but if I were to secure a FF TC I would take it over my current firm for the higher salary, US secondment opportunities, and the TC structure. Guess I'll keep my fingers crossed on MoFo!

Numerius Negidius

Legendary Member
Aug 8, 2020
What is the typical format of written exercises in ACs? (Bird & Bird specifically.)
Do you type up a summary of articles, and will you be asked about it subsequently?
Not sure about Bird & Bird specifically, but usually you need to summarize a few articles and identify issues/risks/opportunities. I think they would tell you if you were going to be asked about it.

Reactions: Adrian_Healey

rose63

Star Member
  • Jan 28, 2021
    Just looking for a bit of advice. I have an AC this coming Thursday and it's my first. It's been my only successful app so far (although do have 3 more to submit in the coming months) so v keen for it to go well. It's 9:30-3:30 and I've not been told about any breaks etc., although I assume there will be a lunch break somewhere along the lines. Due to some health issues (various stuff) I find mornings can be a little rough and on a bad day, getting up early will mean I'm exhausted by early/mid-afternoon. I'm just a bit worried about fatigue and the final exercise (of 3) is a partner interview which I'm most nervous for. Does anyone have any tips about getting through the day? (Also coffee doesn't help energy wise as caffeine makes me ill)

• 🤝
    Reactions: Maculay

GK8997

Legendary Member
    M&A Bootcamp
    Sep 25, 2020
    Just looking for a bit of advice. I have an AC this coming Thursday and it's my first. It's been my only successful app so far (although do have 3 more to submit in the coming months) so v keen for it to go well. It's 9:30-3:30 and I've not been told about any breaks etc., although I assume there will be a lunch break somewhere along the lines. Due to some health issues (various stuff) I find mornings can be a little rough and on a bad day, getting up early will mean I'm exhausted by early/mid-afternoon. I'm just a bit worried about fatigue and the final exercise (of 3) is a partner interview which I'm most nervous for. Does anyone have any tips about getting through the day? (Also coffee doesn't help energy wise as caffeine makes me ill)
    I would say you should probably inform GR of your health issues if you haven't already as they are normally more than willing to accommodate you as much as possible, for example they could give you a longer break so you can recuperate etc. In terms of getting through the day, I would say make sure you have water on hand- it's easier to get dehydrated during the day especially if you're nervous and distracted and I feel it makes a big difference for me!

Reactions: rose63

PositiveVibesOnly

Star Member
    Future Trainee
  • Feb 11, 2021
    Hey, I had a similar AC the other week - there were 2 mini breaks and a 45 minute break but we weren’t told about them in advance of the day so I thought it was going to be more intense and back to back than it was. I had a candle next to my laptop to help with calming vibes (they give me good energy - sorry if that sounds weird), and had an iced tea (my favourite drink) to try and keep me pepped up. Also went for a walk around the block before the day started and another one at lunch, and pre made lunch so I didn’t have to worry. If anything the anxiety kept me awake but I did struggle with the first exercise (written) as my brain didn’t feel fully switched on (I’m also not great with mornings) so on reflection I’d have tried to do something to wake my brain up more beforehand (duolingo or a crossword). Sorry if they’re useless suggestions for you, it’s just what worked for me! :)

rose63

Star Member
  • Jan 28, 2021
    Hey, I had a similar AC the other week - there were 2 mini breaks and a 45 minute break but we weren’t told about them in advance of the day so I thought it was going to be more intense and back to back than it was. I had a candle next to my laptop to help with calming vibes (they give me good energy - sorry if that sounds weird), and had an iced tea (my favourite drink) to try and keep me pepped up. Also went for a walk around the block before the day started and another one at lunch, and pre made lunch so I didn’t have to worry. If anything the anxiety kept me awake but I did struggle with the first exercise (written) as my brain didn’t feel fully switched on (I’m also not great with mornings) so on reflection I’d have tried to do something to wake my brain up more beforehand (duolingo or a crossword). Sorry if they’re useless suggestions for you, it’s just what worked for me! :)
    That's so helpful, thank you! Think I definitely need to do something to wake my brain up in the morning so I don't feel too foggy, my first exercise is going to be written too. Also prepping lunch is going to be a really good idea so I can make the most of the time, will try and get out for a bit of fresh air if the weather allows.

• 🤝
    Reactions: PositiveVibesOnly

PositiveVibesOnly

Star Member
    Future Trainee
  • Feb 11, 2021
    That's so helpful, thank you! Think I definitely need to do something to wake my brain up in the morning so I don't feel too foggy, my first exercise is going to be written too. Also prepping lunch is going to be a really good idea so I can make the most of the time, will try and get out for a bit of fresh air if the weather allows.
    Massive good luck lovely! I’m sure you’ll do wonderfully and glad some of my ideas may help! ✨🤞🏻

• 🤝

Naomi U

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Forum Team
    Dec 8, 2019
    Hiya!

I agree with the above comments. I would definitely contact grad recruitment to see if any adjustments can be made e.g. a longer break.

I also find that sipping on water during the day helps keep me alert. I also usually pack little snacks to have when I can.

Best of luck ☺️

Reactions: rose63 and Andrew M

Law1099

Valued Member
    Jan 18, 2021
    This isn’t much of a suggestion but usually your adrenaline kicks in in assessment days and subconsciously your mind doesn’t let you be exhausted until after it’s over, at least that’s what happens to me! Maybe keep your window open as well to let fresh air in to keep you alert. I’m sure there will be a lunch break too

Lily721

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
  • Oct 7, 2020
    Hi! A bit off topic, but I am applying for this opportunity and when I am adding in my university education, it is asking for GPA. Does anyone know what would 2.1 be in GPA? I have found conflicting sources, and also am worried that if I simply put 2.1, they might not be familiar with the system and think of it as less than it actually is.

Asil Ahmad

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Forum Winner
  • Mar 29, 2020
    I am in the process of finishing off my Baker McKenzie training contract application and sorry for posting this query in this thread.

In their question, I talked about their global breadth but mentioned the famous case that everyone discusses Hitachi's largest-ever acquisition of ABB's power grid business. Do you lot think I should discuss another deal as nearly everyone discusses this deal. I am worried about if I discuss this deal then it will not be unique. What do you lot think.

Thank you in advance for your help.

Lily721

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
  • Oct 7, 2020
    I am in the process of finishing off my Baker McKenzie training contract application and sorry for posting this query in this thread.

In their question, I talked about their global breadth but mentioned the famous case that everyone discusses Hitachi's largest-ever acquisition of ABB's power grid business. Do you lot think I should discuss another deal as nearly everyone discusses this deal. I am worried about if I discuss this deal then it will not be unique. What do you lot think.

Thank you in advance for your help.
    I think as long as it interested you and you can show that, it should be fine.
    You want to avoid appearing as if you are mentioning deals for the sake of it, as it can look pretty superficial.

But, if you have another deal which also genuinely interested you and can talk freely about, maybe go with that one so as to make your application stand out more easily. Regardless of which deal you talk about, it should be fine as long as it doesn't seem like you mentioned it just for the sake of it.

• Love
    Reactions: Asil Ahmad

Asil Ahmad

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Forum Winner
  • Mar 29, 2020
    I think as long as it interested you and you can show that, it should be fine.
    You want to avoid appearing as if you are mentioning deals for the sake of it, as it can look pretty superficial.

But, if you have another deal which also genuinely interested you and can talk freely about, maybe go with that one so as to make your application stand out more easily. Regardless of which deal you talk about, it should be fine as long as it doesn't seem like you mentioned it just for the sake of it.
    Thank you for this I really appreciate it. Also in regards to deal spotting, I thought discussing a deal will leverage it in your favour as firms want to see you know deals about their firm.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.