2020-21 Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Asil Ahmad

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Forum Winner
  • Mar 29, 2020
    Hi! A bit off topic, but I am applying for this opportunity and when I am adding in my university education, it is asking for GPA. Does anyone know what would 2.1 be in GPA? I have found conflicting sources, and also am worried that if I simply put 2.1, they might not be familiar with the system and think of it as less than it actually is.
    Maybe email them the organisation who you are applying to. Hope that helps.

Reactions: Lily721

Lily721

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
  • Oct 7, 2020
    Thank you for this I really appreciate it. Also in regards to deal spotting, I thought discussing a deal will leverage it in your favour as firms want to see you know deals about their firm.

Well yeah, but it depends on what you say about the deal. There are a lot of people who mention deals for that reason, but they aren't really adding much to their application if it is just like a sentence about how "impressed" they were. If you add in a bit of analysis or link it back to yourself e.g. past experience you have had, which can justify your interest in the deal and the firm as a whole, then you would be on the right track.

GK8997

Legendary Member
    M&A Bootcamp
    Sep 25, 2020
    I am in the process of finishing off my Baker McKenzie training contract application and sorry for posting this query in this thread.

In their question, I talked about their global breadth but mentioned the famous case that everyone discusses Hitachi's largest-ever acquisition of ABB's power grid business. Do you lot think I should discuss another deal as nearly everyone discusses this deal. I am worried about if I discuss this deal then it will not be unique. What do you lot think.

Thank you in advance for your help.
    I personally wouldn't discuss this case as I initially did in my VS app and was told not to as it is really famous and common in apps- I did get past the app stage without it so I personally would pick another if possible

E1998

Distinguished Member
    Feb 17, 2021
    This is probably a niche question (given their Scottish focus) but has anyone ever interviewed for Shepherd and Wedderburn before? I have mines this week and have no idea whether it's competency or strengths based etc., all I know is that it involves a Case Study🤷‍♀️
    When did you hear back /apply if you don't mind me asking? Well done!!

Asil Ahmad

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Forum Winner
  • Mar 29, 2020
    I personally wouldn't discuss this case as I initially did in my VS app and was told not to as it is really famous and common in apps- I did get past the app stage without it so I personally would pick another if possible
    Thank you for this and I was thinking that like most of my friends who applied for the VS this year discussed this deal.

Reactions: GK8997

A92167!8

Valued Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Dec 6, 2020
    Hey! I had the same issue, I would recommend doing it on the 23rd just to be safe. I did mine on the afternoon of 18th when the deadline said 18th Feb (GMT+00:00) without realising that it was after the deadline had elapsed. Launchpad link still worked and everything. I emailed grad rec and she was really sweet about the whole thing saying that they would consider my application regardless, but if you can do it on the 23rd I would suggest to do that
    Was this with CRS? :)

LillyI1

M&A Bootcamp
    Junior Lawyer
    Feb 13, 2021
    How do you know what percentile your WG score was?
    I'm still waiting to hear back from Links re VS too :( But hopes aren't high as they're so far into their ACs already...
    Hi, I emailed them asking for my WG score. They sent a detailed report outlining your strong & weaker sections.

Sekani Wraith

Valued Member
    Aug 26, 2020
    I am in the process of finishing off my Baker McKenzie training contract application and sorry for posting this query in this thread.

In their question, I talked about their global breadth but mentioned the famous case that everyone discusses Hitachi's largest-ever acquisition of ABB's power grid business. Do you lot think I should discuss another deal as nearly everyone discusses this deal. I am worried about if I discuss this deal then it will not be unique. What do you lot think.

Thank you in advance for your help.

I spoke about this deal in my app and I was recently offered a vac scheme! As long as you justify your interest well, you'll be fine!

• Love
    Reactions: Asil Ahmad

aspiringlawyer004

Nov 8, 2020
    Hi! A bit off topic, but I am applying for this opportunity and when I am adding in my university education, it is asking for GPA. Does anyone know what would 2.1 be in GPA? I have found conflicting sources, and also am worried that if I simply put 2.1, they might not be familiar with the system and think of it as less than it actually is.

I would recommend that you put 2.1 as it's not readily convertible into GPA. If they have an extra information box you can put a conversion in and/or an explanation of the UK grading system. The Fulbright Commission gives a nice US-UK conversion table:

• ℹ️

Asil Ahmad

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Forum Winner
  • Mar 29, 2020
    I spoke about this deal in my app and I was recently offered a vac scheme! As long as you justify your interest well, you'll be fine!
    Firstly congratulations and you was one of the few who got offered a vacation scheme here.

I have been debating for the past hour about this and have linked it back to me and it is unique to me as I had made it personal to me so I guess I will stick with this deal.

Reactions: Sekani Wraith

Sekani Wraith

Valued Member
    Aug 26, 2020
    Firstly congratulations and you was one of the few who got offered a vacation scheme here.

I have been debating for the past hour about this and have linked it back to me and it is unique to me as I had made it personal to me so I guess I will stick with this deal.

Thank you!

Sounds good to me. There are 4 or 5 application questions so there is plenty of space to distinguish yourself from other candidates elsewhere. Good luck!

Reactions: Asil Ahmad

TiredPG

Star Member
    Forum Winner
    Jan 6, 2021
    I had a friend who had to do this for a Masters and he had to calculate it with reference to the module grades and the module credit weighting of modules which counted towards his final degree award. I would contact the organisation and they should be able to give you guidance!

Manifesting

Esteemed Member
    2020 Community Winner
    Sep 11, 2020
    I would recommend that you put 2.1 as it's not readily convertible into GPA. If they have an extra information box you can put a conversion in and/or an explanation of the UK grading system. The Fulbright Commission gives a nice US-UK conversion table:

I wouldn’t risk putting 2.1 in without additional context. There is a chance that your app might get filtered out by an algorithm because some jobs want you to have a minimum 3.0 or even 3.5 GPA for a role and they might read your GPA as being 2.1, which is considered less than stellar. So I would go with either a conversion (and make a note that you did so, e.g. “equivalent of X [according to Y org]”) or you do something like “N/A” and state that you only have a UK classification).

rose63

Star Member
  • Jan 28, 2021
    I would say you should probably inform GR of your health issues if you haven't already as they are normally more than willing to accommodate you as much as possible, for example they could give you a longer break so you can recuperate etc. In terms of getting through the day, I would say make sure you have water on hand- it's easier to get dehydrated during the day especially if you're nervous and distracted and I feel it makes a big difference for me!

Hiya!

I agree with the above comments. I would definitely contact grad recruitment to see if any adjustments can be made e.g. a longer break.

I also find that sipping on water during the day helps keep me alert. I also usually pack little snacks to have when I can.

Best of luck ☺️

This isn’t much of a suggestion but usually your adrenaline kicks in in assessment days and subconsciously your mind doesn’t let you be exhausted until after it’s over, at least that’s what happens to me! Maybe keep your window open as well to let fresh air in to keep you alert. I’m sure there will be a lunch break too

Thank you all! I hadn’t actually considered contacting GR so I’ll give that a think. And yes, I’m sure on the day the adrenaline will get me through! I probably won’t even notice the tiredness etc till afterwards.

ibs97

Legendary Member
    Jan 20, 2020
    approximately a ~3.6-3.7 (i went to uni in the US and had to my GPA to UK system for my masters). if there's an opportunity to put 'other' and explain I would do that because you don't want them to think it's a 2.1 GPA – that's wildly different!

Naomi U

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Forum Team
    Dec 8, 2019
    I have a weird, foreign, non-phonetic name. I have recently (within the last few years) begun using a shorter, phonetic abbreviation. Is it ok to use my abbreviation with firms or not?
    Hiya!

From my experience, most applications will allow you to input your first and last name as well as your preferred name so this should be fine.

If anything, I don’t see anything wrong with simply clarifying with grad recruitment - it’s really just an admin issue in my opinion.

Hope this helps☺️

Reactions: OB
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.