2020-21 Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

whisperingrock

Legendary Member
Forum Winner
  • Sep 12, 2020
    approximately a ~3.6-3.7 (i went to uni in the US and had to my GPA to UK system for my masters). if there's an opportunity to put 'other' and explain I would do that because you don't want them to think it's a 2.1 GPA – that's wildly different!
    Depending on the equivalency scale used, a 2:1 can be anything from a 3.3 to a 3.7 GPA. Certain scales will say that anything over a 3.7 is equivalent to a distinction, while others will only consider a 4.0 a distinction, but from what I can tell they're in the minority. In most cases, only a fairly high 2:1 with be a 3.6 or 3.7.

JayC

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Junior Lawyer
    Jan 8, 2021
    Depending on the equivalency scale used, a 2:1 can be anything from a 3.3 to a 3.7 GPA. Certain scales will say that anything over a 3.7 is equivalent to a distinction, while others will only consider a 4.0 a distinction, but from what I can tell they're in the minority. In most cases, only a fairly high 2:1 with be a 3.6 or 3.7.
    It’s completely random in the US tbh. At Harvard roughly 40% of people get above a 3.8 while at Princeton you would only need a 3.4 to put you in the top 40%. This is not about differences in student intellect but just that each university has its own distinct grading policy. Different states have different grading systems altogether - some allow you to get a GPA over 4.0 while some don’t on any course no matter how well you perform, meaning that an average of 4.0 is almost impossible - it would be equivalent to never EVER getting a module mark below 70. So it’s not really comparable at all, I would just recommend describing the UK system and where you fell (roughly) in your year group

Kelly_

Distinguished Member
    Nov 9, 2020
    Not sure if this is the right place to ask but does anyone know if there is an LPC V SQE thread of some sorts on the forum? I am feeling very conflicted as to what route to do for a variety of reasons and am doing as much research as I can!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Just looking for a bit of advice. I have an AC this coming Thursday and it's my first. It's been my only successful app so far (although do have 3 more to submit in the coming months) so v keen for it to go well. It's 9:30-3:30 and I've not been told about any breaks etc., although I assume there will be a lunch break somewhere along the lines. Due to some health issues (various stuff) I find mornings can be a little rough and on a bad day, getting up early will mean I'm exhausted by early/mid-afternoon. I'm just a bit worried about fatigue and the final exercise (of 3) is a partner interview which I'm most nervous for. Does anyone have any tips about getting through the day? (Also coffee doesn't help energy wise as caffeine makes me ill)
    If you have recognised health reasons/conditions, you should be asking about reasonable adjustments

Reactions: rose63

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Not sure if this is the right place to ask but does anyone know if there is an LPC V SQE thread of some sorts on the forum? I am feeling very conflicted as to what route to do for a variety of reasons and am doing as much research as I can!
    I will be writing something in the coming weeks. It is a very complicated thing though and giving general advice is tricky, as it will ultimately be down to your unique circumstances.

However, if you have the funds and don’t have any qualifying work experience, my advice is do the LPC still as it will give you an exemption for SQE stage 1 (but that exemption doesn’t work the other way around).

Kablahc

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Forum Winner
  • Aug 31, 2020
    I have a weird, foreign, non-phonetic name. I have recently (within the last few years) begun using a shorter, phonetic abbreviation. Is it ok to use my abbreviation with firms or not?
    My full first name isn't hard to pronounce or anything so not quite the same situation as yours, but I never use it and ALWAYS use my nickname (hearing my actual name makes me feel like I'm in trouble with my parents lol...) and I usually put the nickname as my 'preferred' name. If I have to email GR about something I always use my nickname as well, and it's my name on LinkedIn etc too. I've never had any trouble or confusion with firms for it! :)

• Haha
    Reactions: Daniel Boden

GK8997

Legendary Member
    M&A Bootcamp
    Sep 25, 2020
    So I have a bit of a dilemma, if a firm asks you where else you have applied for and the other firms you have applied for aren't necessary exactly the same as the interviewing firm, is it okay to justify it by just saying what you liked about particular firms even if they don't all fall in the same category e.g. I liked some firms because they operate in media and entertainment/ energy/ life sciences and healthcare which are sectors and industries I am interested in and I applied to others because of their transactional focus?

Asil Ahmad

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Forum Winner
  • Mar 29, 2020
    Still no news from Macfarlanes recently?
    I know a few people got rejections towards the end of last week but I am still waiting. But from what I heard people who applied after 27th or on deadline day got rejections already. I applied on like 15th January so dunno what that means. Hope this is helpful.

Dheepa

Legendary Member
    Staff member
    Future Trainee
    TCLA Moderator
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    M&A Bootcamp
    Junior Lawyer 43
  • Jan 20, 2019
    I am in the process of finishing off my Baker McKenzie training contract application and sorry for posting this query in this thread.

In their question, I talked about their global breadth but mentioned the famous case that everyone discusses Hitachi's largest-ever acquisition of ABB's power grid business. Do you lot think I should discuss another deal as nearly everyone discusses this deal. I am worried about if I discuss this deal then it will not be unique. What do you lot think.

Thank you in advance for your help.

I agree with what everyone else has said about this. There's nothing wrong with discussing a particularly famous/well-known deal, it matters more what you're saying about the deal and how you're linking it back to why you're applying to the firm. You can very easily mention a firm's global presence without having to cite a deal to prove it. I'd encourage you to take your point one step further and think about how that particular deal and the markets/offices in involved on Bakers side, will make a difference to the kind of work you want to be involved in as a trainee.

• Love
    Reactions: Asil Ahmad

Asil Ahmad

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Forum Winner
  • Mar 29, 2020
    I agree with what everyone else has said about this. There's nothing wrong with discussing a particularly famous/well-known deal, it matters more what you're saying about the deal and how you're linking it back to why you're applying to the firm. You can very easily mention a firm's global presence without having to cite a deal to prove it. I'd encourage you to take your point one step further and think about how that particular deal and the markets/offices in involved on Bakers side, will make a difference to the kind of work you want to be involved in as a trainee.
    Thank you very much for your reply Dheepa.

I see your point and thank you for this it is really helpful and I agree with this.

lawstudent12345

Distinguished Member
    Feb 16, 2021
    Hello! does anyone have any advice specifically on what kind of knowledge I should have before attending a VS to give me the best chance of securing the TC? I don't mean things like being confident, enthusiastic, etc. I'm doing what I can to get a better understanding of what a law firm does, but I feel quite nervous about actually performing when it summer comes along and I have to go for the VS. Does anyone know if the online Forage courses help? Or are they a waste of time?

KerC14

Valued Member
    Jan 26, 2020
    Not strictly Vac scheme related but I'm doing an application form that has a 'personal statement' box, should I be addressing this to anyone or is it okay to go straight into it?

Edit: I've already sent a Cover letter and CV and was sent an app form to fill in

Charlotteeeeee

Dec 29, 2020
    Hello! does anyone have any advice specifically on what kind of knowledge I should have before attending a VS to give me the best chance of securing the TC? I don't mean things like being confident, enthusiastic, etc. I'm doing what I can to get a better understanding of what a law firm does, but I feel quite nervous about actually performing when it summer comes along and I have to go for the VS. Does anyone know if the online Forage courses help? Or are they a waste of time?

I agree, I have no idea how to convert a vacation scheme into a training contract and I have a spring vacation scheme coming up. I've seen some threads about conversion, but they're not as detailed as I'd like and they're more-so about imposter syndrome rather than the work you do / how to build rapport and connections at the firm. I was thinking we should start a thread on this about how we can convert?

JayC

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Junior Lawyer
    Jan 8, 2021
    I agree, I have no idea how to convert a vacation scheme into a training contract and I have a spring vacation scheme coming up. I've seen some threads about conversion, but they're not as detailed as I'd like and they're more-so about imposter syndrome rather than the work you do / how to build rapport and connections at the firm. I was thinking we should start a thread on this about how we can convert?
    I’m in the same boat... but if everyone gets advice on how to convert a VS into TC then it will be the same as if no one has the advice lol

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Not strictly Vac scheme related but I'm doing an application form that has a 'personal statement' box, should I be addressing this to anyone or is it okay to go straight into it?

Edit: I've already sent a Cover letter and CV and was sent an app form to fill in
    Fine to just go into it. Personal statements don’t need addressing

• 🤝
    Reactions: KerC14
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.