2020-21 Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kelly_

Distinguished Member
Nov 9, 2020
omg I just found out that I had an email in my spam from Shearman for an interview!!!!! This is my first ever interview so if anyone has any tips or anything it would be so appreciated!!
Excited Season 9 GIF by Friends

josemourinho

Star Member
Feb 19, 2021
Yeah I haven't heard anything yet, didn't know whether this meant PFO but staying hopeful lol
In relation to CRS, I also haven't heard and put a lot into the app so staying hopeful. Its worth pointing out that a few people might have applied to the Cheltenham or Guildford offices so they might still be deciding for London. Not sure if that is just wishful thinking though!

Reactions: Lawsm21, lilli and ZaraB

LEL

Legendary Member
Junior Lawyer
Jul 22, 2020
So I have a bit of a dilemma, if a firm asks you where else you have applied for and the other firms you have applied for aren't necessary exactly the same as the interviewing firm, is it okay to justify it by just saying what you liked about particular firms even if they don't all fall in the same category e.g. I liked some firms because they operate in media and entertainment/ energy/ life sciences and healthcare which are sectors and industries I am interested in and I applied to others because of their transactional focus?
Yeah I think that works, just try to find a common thread between the firms, whether that be in strength of practice areas, international network, training quality. You don't have to mention allll the firms you applied to of course, just highlight some similarities between them and the firm you're interviewing at :)

Reactions: GK8997
Morning frenzzz, was so happy to receive an invite to situational judgement test and video interview for Charles Russell Speechlys yesterday. Anyone else / got any question tips? 🥳🥳🥳🥳🥳
Hi, I've also got an interview! Do you know how long they give you to answer the questions/ thinking time? Good luck!

Naomi U

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Forum Team
Dec 8, 2019
So I have a bit of a dilemma, if a firm asks you where else you have applied for and the other firms you have applied for aren't necessary exactly the same as the interviewing firm, is it okay to justify it by just saying what you liked about particular firms even if they don't all fall in the same category e.g. I liked some firms because they operate in media and entertainment/ energy/ life sciences and healthcare which are sectors and industries I am interested in and I applied to others because of their transactional focus?
Hiya!

I don’t think there is anything wrong with this but the key here would be to really focus on your justifications.

I think firms ask this question to get a further understanding of your motivations and interests regarding a career in commercial law. Therefore it’s perfectly fine to have multiple interests so long as you are able to relate and link these back to your chosen firm.

Hope this helps!☺️

Reactions: GK8997

GK8997

Legendary Member
M&A Bootcamp
Sep 25, 2020
Yeah I think that works, just try to find a common thread between the firms, whether that be in strength of practice areas, international network, training quality. You don't have to mention allll the firms you applied to of course, just highlight some similarities between them and the firm you're interviewing at :)
Okay, thank you so much!

GK8997

Legendary Member
M&A Bootcamp
Sep 25, 2020
Hiya!

I don’t think there is anything wrong with this but the key here would be to really focus on your justifications.

I think firms ask this question to get a further understanding of your motivations and interests regarding a career in commercial law. Therefore it’s perfectly fine to have multiple interests so long as you are able to relate and link these back to your chosen firm.

Hope this helps!☺️
This is really helpful, thank you!

Daniel Boden

Legendary Member
Trainee
Highest Rated Member
  • Sep 6, 2018
    Hello! does anyone have any advice specifically on what kind of knowledge I should have before attending a VS to give me the best chance of securing the TC? I don't mean things like being confident, enthusiastic, etc. I'm doing what I can to get a better understanding of what a law firm does, but I feel quite nervous about actually performing when it summer comes along and I have to go for the VS. Does anyone know if the online Forage courses help? Or are they a waste of time?
    I made a thread on this last year and the below is what I did and it worked pretty well for me :)

Daniel Boden

Legendary Member
    Trainee
    Highest Rated Member
  • Sep 6, 2018
    I agree, I have no idea how to convert a vacation scheme into a training contract and I have a spring vacation scheme coming up. I've seen some threads about conversion, but they're not as detailed as I'd like and they're more-so about imposter syndrome rather than the work you do / how to build rapport and connections at the firm. I was thinking we should start a thread on this about how we can convert?
    Not sure if you've seen this thread from last summer?

These tips are excellent:

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.