2020-21 Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

josemourinho

Star Member
Feb 19, 2021
Anyone else still waiting on:

IM (PLS, London), Dechert, TW, Boodle, Penningtons (for summer)?

I'm guessing Penningtons have had a lot of ACs already so assuming I'll be getting a PFO from them but have IM started responding for London yet?
I haven't heard from Boodle but other people have posted on here about having done telephone interviews last week. They only interview 20 people so I am assuming thats it for the vac schemes sadly.

Law1099

Valued Member
Jan 18, 2021
Can someone explain the SQE in regards to the GDL.. am I in the same position finishing the GDL as I would be if I just had a non law degree? Is there no benefit of having a GDL in the new SQE route ?

j597

Star Member
Jan 18, 2021
In a strengths based interview, can interviewers ask about your knowledge of the company/industry or is it usually purely situational and motivation sort of questions? Thank you in advance :)

Hele25

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Jan 5, 2021
When is it appropriate to email a firm for an update? I applied to Addleshaw Goddard on the 20th of October and I’ve heard nothing post app. I know it’s a PFO, but I’d just like confirmation tbh. But I also know how unbelievably busy grad rec must be and don’t want to be annoying!

cryingoverTCs

Legendary Member
  • Mar 1, 2020
    I'm trying to prep a covid commercial awareness story for an interview just in case they ask + I was thinking of talking about the changing face of the high street + how especially with the sale of both Debenhams' + Arcadia's IP, but not their stores, there are huge gaps in the high street

I found that there are experimental leisure centres now thinking of opening up + also other things like multi-use facilities (like buildings with work, leisure + retail in one space) - what can I say about how this affects law firms + any implications this might have? I feel like I'm onto something but I just don't know what 🤣

SamTam99

Legendary Member
    Jan 5, 2021
    When is it appropriate to email a firm for an update? I applied to Addleshaw Goddard on the 20th of October and I’ve heard nothing post app. I know it’s a PFO, but I’d just like confirmation tbh. But I also know how unbelievably busy grad rec must be and don’t want to be annoying!
    I emailed AG asking for an update earlier this month (applied in November). They said they’re incredibly busy and still reading through applications and will get back to everyone ASAP!

Matt_96

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
  • Dec 15, 2018
    Yes me too, not sure what happened there..

A very abysmal application season for me... :/

Waiting on Dechert, Debevoise and Freshfields

There have been a huge number of applications compared to last year's cycle I believe. I've made 29 apps and only had one interview and 10 rejections (and a few others I'm pretty sure are rejections but I haven't heard back from yet). It's been very hard to stand out at all.

But the other side of this is that although it is probably worth improving your applications and CV in the meantime, some elements of what has happened are probably out of your control and just down to sheer numbers. I suspect the summer window will be just as brutal.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.