Aug 1, 2019
Jess, don't give me hope like that. I am so broken
Black Widow Avengers GIF

You always need a little bit of hope ;)

I Hope Friendship GIF by Hallmark Channel

T123

Standard Member
Feb 8, 2021
Has anyone heard back from (or knows when we are meant to hear back from) Baker McKenzie for their Summer Vacation Scheme post-VI? I know they start their assessment centres next week...
In the email we got with the VI they said we will hear by the end of Feb...given how close we are to the AC start date I'm losing hope

WRM19

M&A Bootcamp
Aug 11, 2020
Update:
  • Rejections: 18
  • In process of interviewing: 1 (Willkie)
  • Waiting for reply: 6 (Cooley, Gibson Dunn, Kirkland, Shearman, Debevoise, Latham)
  • Vac Scheme in the bag: 1 (cannot disclose)
Hey! Congratulations on getting through to the Willkie interview! How long did it take to hear back post written exercise? Thanks in advance 😅

Matt_96

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
  • Dec 15, 2018
    Same here. Last year when I was in my penultimate year, I had very quick responses to tests and AC invites even having applied on the deadline. This year, absolutely zilch, despite the fact I secured a vac scheme last cycle and I thought that'd be good experience to showcase!

Do you know how the summer cycle works? Is it just for direct TCs and aren't most of them already practically filled up by vac schemers anyway so is there a point in applying then?

For me, its been a very painful process as I had interviews at a handful of exceedingly good firms last time and it is already my third cycle. I feel like my prospects are shrinking every year! But I'm going to keep on pushing as I think once you've produced the best app you can, the quality of the competition and whether it will be accepted is out of your control, so you just have to remember it is as much a numbers game as anything.

I wouldn't view summer job apps as a proper 'cycle' that all firms do, because it really just depends on how each one views direct TCs in general. Some will have their direct TC window open from October and keep it open till July the following year and use the summer window to fill remaining gaps left by the vac schemes. Others will close their direct TC apps earlier, around December or Jan maybe, and reopen them between June-July to capture the window of talent that might have been too busy with exams to apply to vacation schemes earlier in the year, or in different stages of their life. Some firms only recruit in the summer. It really just depends on what you're dealing with.

cryingoverTCs

Legendary Member
  • Mar 1, 2020
    Dont worry at all - I am wondering if they are using the open day to filter out other applications or anything. Otherwise it doesn't make sense to not reject me. They said to me that they will be adding my attendance to my application when considering it. The firm seems a lil chaotic this year ahahha.

Best of luck though, when is your AC?
    Tbh I think their new application process has thrown them off a bit ngl! but understandable, I suppose!

Thank you! It's one week from today and I've never been on an AC so I'm STRESSED

• Love
    Reactions: Celestie

CorporateB3

Star Member
    Jul 1, 2020
    There have been a huge number of applications compared to last year's cycle I believe. I've made 29 apps and only had one interview and 10 rejections (and a few others I'm pretty sure are rejections but I haven't heard back from yet). It's been very hard to stand out at all.

But the other side of this is that although it is probably worth improving your applications and CV in the meantime, some elements of what has happened are probably out of your control and just down to sheer numbers. I suspect the summer window will be just as brutal.
    If you don't mind me asking, did you have previous vacation schemes (before this cycle), and if so, how many?

I do genuinely feel as though some rejections are very arbitrary. For firms on a rolling basis, I think (from my experience) they reject once they realize they can get the right quality of candidate from the earlier options - I guess the shame is on me for late apps but still crazy. Hang in there!

jan28

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    M&A Bootcamp
    Sep 12, 2019
    Does anyone know whether firms look at your GDL grade or do you just need to pass?
    not sure about TC holders but for self-funded people I would expect them to take it into consideration, especially for modules such as Contract. Also lowkey hope they do because all this stress for what?!😅

Reactions: AspiringSol

Asil Ahmad

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Forum Winner
  • Mar 29, 2020
    For Shoosmiths application question - Describe why you want to be a trainee solicitor at Shoosmiths?

For this question do I have to discuss why commercial .law and why Shoosmiths or do I just discuss why Shoosmiths.

Thank you in advance guys.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.