2020-21 Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

PositiveVibesOnly

Star Member
Future Trainee
  • Feb 11, 2021
    Do you have any tips on how to overcome that final interview anxiety? I completely froze on my "why law" answer and it was the reason I failed to convert my vac scheme. I was so so gutted. In my heart I knew the answer but I sputtered something very random because I could feel myself freezing. How did you cope?? Thanks so much and this is amazing, so happy for you
    Hey, I can entirely empathise with the disappointment of interview anxiety leading to rejection when you know you could have performed better (don't worry during my second year MC VS interview I ended up fumbling my way through quite a few questions in ways I certainly hadn't planned!)

Sorry for the list - as some of these things are possibly pretty personal to me I tried to include everything I have thought through to see if any of them could be applicable to yourself!

I try to re-conceptualise the interview (know this sounds a bit high concept - what I mean is basically I try and see it as as a conversation as much as I possibly can (this is hard if you have quite clinical interviewers). The experience from my job as a legal admin in my year out and interview experience for that role really made me realise that I perform at my best in an interview when I try and put less pressure on myself to actually get the role, just see it as good interview experience, and even better if I get it. I know this is exceptionally hard to put into practice, but I guess I focused on myself, realised I would get a role or wouldn't on authenticity, and tried to approach interviews being myself.

The age-old tip of a glass of water always helps to be able to sip if you're having a momentary panic!

I found doing the interview online actually a little easier as it meant I was at home with a candle, my dog to have hugged 5 minutes before, and I didn't induce more anxiety in myself from being in the office itself. I know that's also obviously something that is different when in person, but I think it's sometimes easier to see HR and Partners as someone you're just having a chat with when they're equally just a box on your laptop than when you're in a room in their fancy office.

I also think I found it easier having not done a VS with the firm I was successful with as it meant I wasn't too attached to the firm (I obviously really wanted it, but I hadn't met many people who worked there and grown attached to the firm or had had time to envisage myself there), I didn't know what I would have been losing out on. This is obviously difficult to avoid with firms who only recruit from VS's.

Genuinely the Aspiring Solicitors Commercial Awareness Competition was incredibly helpful as it was on the spot questioning that was the thing I was always anxious about, and the practice of this was immensely helpful and reassuring.

Also, and many people would argue against me on this point for very valid reasons, but I don't rehearse answers, I don't come up with how I'll say something in the shower, I don't do practice interviews (yes this could arguably be why some might believe I've been unsuccessful in the past!) - instead I draw little diagrams, flow charts, and do some mind maps with all the ideas written down and listed. So for the firm I interviewed with I had 6 reasons 'why law', 6 reasons 'why the firm' and did the same for 'why me' etc, as I knew these questions were the ones I fell down on. I find rehearsing means I either sound 1) clinical, or 2) become more anxious when I forget what I'm meant to say because I'm anxious

Sorry, that was so so so long, I can only hope any of that might be remotely applicable to you, the anxiety was the hardest thing for me to overcome and I think a large part of why it was diminished in the interview the other week was because I knew I had other vac schemes in the future already lined up if it were a rejection so it allowed for there to be less pressure on the interview. I think when it's you're 'only chance' your brain will always be far more anxious no matter how much prep you've done, or how many meditation exercises you try. Wishing you lots of luck before your next interview, fingers crossed for you!! If you ever have anything you want to talk about regarding this please feel free to message me!

BiancaR

Star Member
    Future Trainee
    Junior Lawyer 12
  • Jun 8, 2020
    Received my final PFO today from Farrers.. Although the rejection was really positive, and they told me I made it down to the final shortlist of 5 candidates, this is my second cycle without making it past the application stage on any of my apps. I graduate this spring, and I know this is my weak point, but I honestly have no idea how I can improve at this stage. I only applied for 10 firms this year so I could really focus on tailoring each application. How can I realistically improve my applications, and is it even possible to go from a cycle of all rejections to a vac scheme or TC? Any advice whatsoever is appreciated- I have no idea where I'm going wrong and just want to make a bit of progress!

Maude

Feb 23, 2021
    Has anyone not heard from Mishcon? It has been crickets from them. I went on their website today and it said at the bottom that those not shortlisted won't be contacted due to the volume they've received. But I know people who have gotten rejections.

Etudierlaw2022

Esteemed Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Jan 10, 2021
    Hey, I can entirely empathise with the disappointment of interview anxiety leading to rejection when you know you could have performed better (don't worry during my second year MC VS interview I ended up fumbling my way through quite a few questions in ways I certainly hadn't planned!)

Sorry for the list - as some of these things are possibly pretty personal to me I tried to include everything I have thought through to see if any of them could be applicable to yourself!

I try to re-conceptualise the interview (know this sounds a bit high concept - what I mean is basically I try and see it as as a conversation as much as I possibly can (this is hard if you have quite clinical interviewers). The experience from my job as a legal admin in my year out and interview experience for that role really made me realise that I perform at my best in an interview when I try and put less pressure on myself to actually get the role, just see it as good interview experience, and even better if I get it. I know this is exceptionally hard to put into practice, but I guess I focused on myself, realised I would get a role or wouldn't on authenticity, and tried to approach interviews being myself.

The age-old tip of a glass of water always helps to be able to sip if you're having a momentary panic!

I found doing the interview online actually a little easier as it meant I was at home with a candle, my dog to have hugged 5 minutes before, and I didn't induce more anxiety in myself from being in the office itself. I know that's also obviously something that is different when in person, but I think it's sometimes easier to see HR and Partners as someone you're just having a chat with when they're equally just a box on your laptop than when you're in a room in their fancy office.

I also think I found it easier having not done a VS with the firm I was successful with as it meant I wasn't too attached to the firm (I obviously really wanted it, but I hadn't met many people who worked there and grown attached to the firm or had had time to envisage myself there), I didn't know what I would have been losing out on. This is obviously difficult to avoid with firms who only recruit from VS's.

Genuinely the Aspiring Solicitors Commercial Awareness Competition was incredibly helpful as it was on the spot questioning that was the thing I was always anxious about, and the practice of this was immensely helpful and reassuring.

Also, and many people would argue against me on this point for very valid reasons, but I don't rehearse answers, I don't come up with how I'll say something in the shower, I don't do practice interviews (yes this could arguably be why some might believe I've been unsuccessful in the past!) - instead I draw little diagrams, flow charts, and do some mind maps with all the ideas written down and listed. So for the firm I interviewed with I had 6 reasons 'why law', 6 reasons 'why the firm' and did the same for 'why me' etc, as I knew these questions were the ones I fell down on. I find rehearsing means I either sound 1) clinical, or 2) become more anxious when I forget what I'm meant to say because I'm anxious

Sorry, that was so so so long, I can only hope any of that might be remotely applicable to you, the anxiety was the hardest thing for me to overcome and I think a large part of why it was diminished in the interview the other week was because I knew I had other vac schemes in the future already lined up if it were a rejection so it allowed for there to be less pressure on the interview. I think when it's you're 'only chance' your brain will always be far more anxious no matter how much prep you've done, or how many meditation exercises you try. Wishing you lots of luck before your next interview, fingers crossed for you!! If you ever have anything you want to talk about regarding this please feel free to message me!
    Thank you so much! This is very helpful. I think your point about not rehearsing too much or at all is important. It doesn't mean you haven't thought about the answers, but allows you to have a more natural answer. I got so hung up on the order in which I wanted to present my "why law" answer that I completely blanked.

Being in my own room with the partners on the screen was comforting in some respects, but I think I was in the wrong headspace for it. I found doing a virtual vac scheme more difficult in some ways because I couldn't read people's body language or tone as easily and that was anxiety provoking, but there was overall a more informal feeling to it. I haven't done a vac scheme in person yet so will be interesting to see how it compares!

And yes I think your point about viewing the interview from a higher perspective is really good. Obviously I wanted the role, but I was so obsessive over it that I couldn't be in the moment of the interview. That whole week I couldn't eat properly or sleep well because I knew the stakes were so high, so I'm trying to approach my scheme this year from a healthier mindset. I'm trying to figure out what this looks like for me.

Thanks for sharing all of these tips, you've been so lovely and helpful! And congrats again :)

• 🤝
    Reactions: PositiveVibesOnly
    D

Deleted member 8599

Received my final PFO today from Farrers.. Although the rejection was really positive, and they told me I made it down to the final shortlist of 5 candidates, this is my second cycle without making it past the application stage on any of my apps. I graduate this spring, and I know this is my weak point, but I honestly have no idea how I can improve at this stage. I only applied for 10 firms this year so I could really focus on tailoring each application. How can I realistically improve my applications, and is it even possible to go from a cycle of all rejections to a vac scheme or TC? Any advice whatsoever is appreciated- I have no idea where I'm going wrong and just want to make a bit of progress!
    My advice would be to up your number and try do 25+ applications. It seems tough but it really is a numbers game IMO.

Kelly_

Distinguished Member
    Nov 9, 2020
    Me practicing talking about M&A, SPACS and IPOs as if I know what I'm talking about:
    You Look Dumb John David Washington GIF by NETFLIX

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.