2020-21 Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

ab1147

Esteemed Member
Jan 21, 2021
Hi guys! A friend of mine did an interview and had these two separate questions: "why X firm" and "what are the USPs of X firm". I was wondering how to go about differentiating the answers to these two questions? In most of my application forms where they ask "why us" I mostly talk about USPs and why those matter to me, so I'm not really sure how I would differ my answers?

Victoria R

Distinguished Member
Jul 17, 2020
Hi guys! A friend of mine did an interview and had these two separate questions: "why X firm" and "what are the USPs of X firm". I was wondering how to go about differentiating the answers to these two questions? In most of my application forms where they ask "why us" I mostly talk about USPs and why those matter to me, so I'm not really sure how I would differ my answers?
IMO they're looking for why the firm appeals to you in the first question, and why it would stand out to clients in the second. I think it's okay if there's overlap in your answers, e.g. innovative offerings will typically be both appealing to TC candidates and clients, but your reasoning for 'why the firm' would be personal whereas in a 'USP' question should be client-centric :)

ab1147

Esteemed Member
Jan 21, 2021
IMO they're looking for why the firm appeals to you in the first question, and why it would stand out to clients in the second. I think it's okay if there's overlap in your answers, e.g. innovative offerings will typically be both appealing to TC candidates and clients, but your reasoning for 'why the firm' would be personal whereas in a 'USP' question should be client-centric :)
Thank you so much this makes so much sense ☺️

Naomi U

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Forum Team
Dec 8, 2019
Hiya!

I agree with Victoria. I think they are quite similar but the former is slightly more subjective than the latter. So I would approach these questions as; why X firm- means why are you interested in the firm but what are the firm's USPs- means objectively speaking what are the firm's main marketing points. So your answer to the fomer may overlap with the latter but may also include personalised experiences e.g. culture

Hope this helps ☺️

Jony

Legendary Member
M&A Bootcamp
  • Oct 19, 2020
    Farewell, Cooley

Amy Sedaris Goodbye GIF by truTV’s At Home with Amy Sedaris

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.