2020-21 Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

ab1147

Esteemed Member
Jan 21, 2021
Hiya!

I agree with Victoria. I think they are quite similar but the former is slightly more subjective than the latter. So I would approach these questions as; why X firm- means why are you interested in the firm but what are the firm's USPs- means objectively speaking what are the firm's main marketing points. So your answer to the fomer may overlap with the latter but may also include personalised experiences e.g. culture

Hope this helps ☺️
Thanks so much!

Victoria R

Distinguished Member
Jul 17, 2020
I'm having a bit of a panic prepping for an AC tomorrow. For my last one, I prepped three deals the firm had done along with three corresponding commercial trends - for this one, I haven't found it as straight forward, mainly as the firm's website is so hard to navigate!

I've prepped one big commercial trend, along with two recent (ish...) cases taken by the firm on the same issue, but other than that my approach feels scatty. I know the firm's big, major cases and have three more commercial news stories up my sleeve, but none of them are particularly interlinked. How many deals / cases do people usually prep for their ACs, and do you try and connect them to the commercial stories you've prepped?

Naomi U

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Forum Team
Dec 8, 2019
I'm having a bit of a panic prepping for an AC tomorrow. For my last one, I prepped three deals the firm had done along with three corresponding commercial trends - for this one, I haven't found it as straight forward, mainly as the firm's website is so hard to navigate!

I've prepped one big commercial trend, along with two recent (ish...) cases taken by the firm on the same issue, but other than that my approach feels scatty. I know the firm's big, major cases and have three more commercial news stories up my sleeve, but none of them are particularly interlinked. How many deals / cases do people usually prep for their ACs, and do you try and connect them to the commercial stories you've prepped?
Hiya!

Personally, I never really tried to link my deals of interest to my commercial awareness. I usually prepped for 2 key firm deals then 3 areas of commercial awareness. I never really found that I had to link them as they would usually come under two different questions e.g. why X firm? ( I would mention a deal of interest when discussing the firm's expertise) and tell me about a commercial story you have been following? (I'd mentioned my commercial stories).

Hope this helps & best of luck tomorrow ☺️

cryingoverTCs

Legendary Member
  • Mar 1, 2020
    Hiya!

Personally, I never really tried to link my deals of interest to my commercial awareness. I usually prepped for 2 key firm deals then 3 areas of commercial awareness. I never really found that I had to link them as they would usually come under two different questions e.g. why X firm? ( I would mention a deal of interest when discussing the firm's expertise) and tell me about a commercial story you have been following? (I'd mentioned my commercial stories).

Hope this helps & best of luck tomorrow ☺️
    so would you only need to prep commercial stories/deals if it was an interview environment? you wouldn't need to for a case study, presentation or negotiation?

Naomi U

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Forum Team
    Dec 8, 2019
    so would you only need to prep commercial stories/deals if it was an interview environment? you wouldn't need to for a case study, presentation or negotiation

Hiya!

I think it's always good to be commercially aware and prep not only recent deals but also wider news generally. In an interview scenario, this is more important as you're more likely to have a direct question as opposed to a skill based assessment like a case study or negotiation.

However, I don't see anything wrong with being prepared just in case. Sometimes my wider commercial knowledge helped in case studies because I was able to relate issues I identified to real world examples that I had read about.

Therefore, I would approach commercial awareness as a continuous skill that you should have ready for any mode of assessment- of course some may require it more than others.

Hope this helps! ☺️

Reactions: cryingoverTCs

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
    Staff member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    what’s up cooley
    don’t mean to be unruly
    but you treatin me so cruelly
    with that ghost pfo, yours truly

[actually losing it at this point in the cycle 😂]

you said you'd email
    yet you're making my mind derail
    oh please cooley
    please don't do this to me

[me too]

Dear Clyde, I wrote you but you still ain't calling
    I left my cell, my pager, and my home phone at the bottom
    I sent two emails back in autumn, you must not've got 'em
    I never know what to expect when I check in on this thread

cmaj

Legendary Member
    Forum Winner
  • Sep 18, 2019
    CareerChanger said:
    what’s up cooley
    don’t mean to be unruly
    but you treatin me so cruelly
    with that ghost pfo, yours truly

[actually losing it at this point in the cycle 😂]

R19 said:
    you said you'd email
    yet you're making my mind derail
    oh please cooley
    please don't do this to me

[me too]

KS94 said:
    Dear Clyde, I wrote you but you still ain't calling
    I left my cell, my pager, and my home phone at the bottom
    I sent two emails back in autumn, you must not've got 'em

I come on here for the first time in a few days to this.... I love this forum 🤣🤣

josemourinho

Star Member
    Feb 19, 2021
    Anybody else got Debevoise's confirmation of the date for the Open Date? If yes, wat is this lol. Virtual backgrounds compulsory but up to your discretion? No dress code but you can dress formally if you want? I just know this about to be awkward AF 😂

I know right, got the email confirmation today. Surely it is just going to be distracting! Would be interested to know what you are going to put. I was thinking of using a photo of my home country?
    Also, when there isn't a dress code, I suspect there still is a dress code, it just isn't explicitly said!

Reactions: Kola and SF1234
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.