2020-21 Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

cloud9

Jan 25, 2021
Hi, I think it's important to practice your answers within the given time frame you have (usually 1m30?), so you're used to that going into the VI.

Prepare your answers as you would for a regular interview, only you're talking to the camera and not a person.

This might sound basic but try to sound interested in what you're saying. A lot of us are thinking "ugh I'm basically talking to myself so why bother", but if you come across as enthusiastic then that will never harm you. Smile at the end of each answer :)

If you screw up, don't panic and then get flustered. Just go back slightly to the start of the sentence, breathe and start your point again.

Speak calmly and slowly! Gives you more time to think about what you're saying, and you won't be so stressed about the timer.

I literally record myself on my phone to assess my tone, my facial movements, where I'm looking etc., so that might be worth doing to see what you can improve on before the real thing.

Hope that helps!
Thanks so much! That’s really helpful :) Although I did practise a LOT and I tried to come across as enthusiastic as possible - I can only assume I didn’t answer the questions clearly/well enough. I imagine I need to work on content

Reactions: LEL

cc800

Dec 7, 2019
If anyone has done a virtual vac scheme before i'd really love some insight. When we are given tasks by current trainee's / associates based on work they are doing at the minute, what sort of stuff could this be? obviously I know this can hugely vary, but I'm just worrying over how difficult the work will be and want a rough idea of what to expect
I did three virtual vac schemes last summer and found they mostly tended to allocate everyone the same standard tasks to work on (and be assessed on) rather than doing day-to-day work within your department. I think they thought it was more fair and easier to manage virtually and ensure everyone was always busy. They design the tasks to be difficult but make sure you ask your supervisor or trainees if you need any help.

Some of the work included:
- managing a completion arrangement schedule
- drafting a commercial lease
- writing a letter in an IP dispute
- researching market trends
- amending heads of terms
- writing letters to clients

As well as making sure you finish all your work, definitely try and speak to as many different people at different levels of seniority throughout the firm. I told one of my supervisors that I wanted to learn more about corporate law specifically, so he arranged one-on-one calls with people in the team where they'd give me a 20 minute crash course in private equity or public M&A etc and then give me a chance to ask questions. Met lots of people and learned so much from it!

S87

Legendary Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Sep 4, 2018
Random but did anyone take into consideration the Roll on Friday (firm of the year) survey results when applying to firms?

I’m not sure how reliable it is as a source/& whether to bring up good ranking in interview
Yes and No. I would rather meet the GR and trainees in person and make my own personal decisions. Believe me when I tell you that I met and worked with highly recommended firms and I would rather have lunch with Donald Trump.

relentlesspursuit

Esteemed Member
Junior Lawyer
May 26, 2019
Thanks so much! That’s really helpful :) Although I did practise a LOT and I tried to come across as enthusiastic as possible - I can only assume I didn’t answer the questions clearly/well enough. I imagine I need to work on content
Hey - I think how you structure your answers is also quite important. A tip I saw on here which I have followed is going into depth on 2/3 points per answer rather than touching on a lot of points very briefly. It's also quite useful to signpost your answers (firstly, secondly, etc) so the listener can follow your points more easily. Also, while you may have prepped for wider possibilities (e.g. career motivations, why this firm, commercial awareness), be sure to pay close attention to what the particular question is asking and frame your response accordingly.

Hope this helps.

collie_121

Esteemed Member
Future Trainee
Sep 30, 2020
Oh really? I've mentioned the pending budget in a few of my recent interviews - in the context of challenges for the firm/market. Ordinarily the budget wouldn't be *that* important. But given where we are in a recession, what the chancellor announces could well shape how (un/)successful economic recovery is over the next year. Obviously, we haven't got much concrete to go on yet but there have been ideas leaked which make good talking points (e.g. extending stamp duty holiday, raising corporate tax, "sin" taxes, "green" bonds, etc.)

So I would definitely recommend for people to try and at least gain a surface understanding of the potential factors at play.
This is actually really insightful - thank you!

• 🤝
Reactions: Andrew M

AY

Mar 2, 2020
What coping techniques do we all have for when we mess up an interview question because I cannot stop rehearsing an answer for it in my head post interview which is literally pointless and not ideal? :oops:

CareerChanger

Valued Member
Junior Lawyer
  • Jan 5, 2021
    What coping techniques do we all have for when we mess up an interview question because I cannot stop rehearsing an answer for it in my head post interview which is literally pointless and not ideal? :oops:
    I write down a few positive notes for things I would do next time just to get it out my system. Sometimes I look at them again, sometimes not. But it’s useful to turn thoughts into behaviours for me.

Reactions: AY
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.