2020-21 Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

OB

Legendary Member
2020 Community Winner
Junior Lawyer
  • Feb 10, 2020
    Thanks. Isn't there some sort of mentoring scheme or something that you need to actually apply for though? x

EDIT*: I believe it's the Aspire programme - https://www.aspiringsolicitors.co.uk/as-aspire/ - is it any good anyone?
    Just beware of the nasty emails if for some reason you cannot attend an event. Bonus points if they send a nasty email claiming you didn’t warn them you couldn’t go in due time, then they go quiet when you match their tone 😌

#sassyemailcrew

Dwight

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Dec 21, 2019
    Has anyone else not heard back from NRF post-WG regarding summer scheme? Don't understand what takes so long - I either met the mark they were looking for, or I didn't. This makes me feel paranoid that my test results were not received.

Also, I've seen some ppl get W&C PFO and others progress (summer scheme), so what does it mean to have not heard anything? Am I in some "maybe" pile?

Reactions: els124

tkhkat

Star Member
    Feb 2, 2021
    Has anyone else not heard back from NRF post-WG regarding summer scheme? Don't understand what takes so long - I either met the mark they were looking for, or I didn't. This makes me feel paranoid that my test results were not received.

Also, I've seen some ppl get W&C PFO and others progress (summer scheme), so what does it mean to have not heard anything? Am I in some "maybe" pile?
    Hey! When did you do the WG for NRF? I just completed it two days ago, so if you did yours way earlier than me, they might just be waiting to collate everyone's WG scores before giving out offers? I'm sure that your test results were received if you didn't have any tech issues during the test!

For W&C - I believe it really depends on when you submitted your application! They said that they review on a rolling basis and it seems like they're the type to review and offer/reject PFO as they go. If you submitted it late it might very well be the case that they just haven't got to your application yet. It's not a rejection until the firm says that it is so don't lose hope!

Reactions: Dwight

lawgeek_301

Star Member
    Junior Lawyer
    May 1, 2020
    Hey! I have an interview today and I just wanted to ask, is it ok to justify your motivations to work for a firm that is very international based on experiences that aren’t work-related? For example, I plan to say that I lived temporarily in 3 countries, I speak 4 languages, went to debating competitions in many countries, moved to London to study as an international, this kind of stuff. But I don’t have any experience where I actually did international work. Is this ok or are my examples too trivial? Or how could I make them stand out more?

Reactions: YFA

CareerChanger

Valued Member
    Junior Lawyer
  • Jan 5, 2021
    Hey! I have an interview today and I just wanted to ask, is it ok to justify your motivations to work for a firm that is very international based on experiences that aren’t work-related? For example, I plan to say that I lived temporarily in 3 countries, I speak 4 languages, went to debating competitions in many countries, moved to London to study as an international, this kind of stuff. But I don’t have any experience where I actually did international work. Is this ok or are my examples too trivial? Or how could I make them stand out more?
    Would recommend seeing this more as an opportunity for you to demonstrate you understand what kind of work an international law firm does (cross-border etc.) and why that interests you, rather than just what things you have done in the past that might be considered 'international'. This video is kinda useful on this question I think

Dheepa

Legendary Member
    Staff member
    Future Trainee
    TCLA Moderator
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    M&A Bootcamp
    Junior Lawyer 43
  • Jan 20, 2019
    Agreed - safe to say that was me out hahaha. Nope just a stand-alone question! Was the bonds question stand-alone as well?
    Mine was a follow up. Still think it was a bit questionable that they wanted me to explain the technical movement of bonds from broker to bank to clearing houses to end user just because I said I looked at some bond issuance documents during work experience at a law firm. The fact that I went home excessively read up on it and was never asked anything remotely similar in any interview after that is just 😪😪

Dheepa

Legendary Member
    Staff member
    Future Trainee
    TCLA Moderator
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    M&A Bootcamp
    Junior Lawyer 43
  • Jan 20, 2019

I agree with what's been said. It's fine to mention that your international experiences have drawn you towards firms that can continue to offer you similar exposure, but that should be the ancillary reason. You'd still need to focus more substantively on why working with cross border teams and multi-jurisdictional laws appeals to you. You don't necessarily need international work experience to back this up as well. Think about the practical impacts of working on these types of deals - there might be a steeper learning curve involved when researching regulation and laws in other jurisdictions, adaptability needed to deal with teams in countries with different working styles/cultures etc. Hope that gives you some ideas! ☺️

Andrew M

Legendary Member
    Forum Winner
    Jan 7, 2020
    I was wondering what are the most difficult/unexpected commercial awareness questions people have been asked in interview? I feel like I've prepped the basics but just want to ensure I've prepared for the worst and maybe even just challenge myself!

For example, although on the face of this many people may not think this is too hard, I was asked in interview about the UK budget and didn't even know where to begin!
    Oh really? I've mentioned the pending budget in a few of my recent interviews - in the context of challenges for the firm/market. Ordinarily the budget wouldn't be *that* important. But given where we are in a recession, what the chancellor announces could well shape how (un/)successful economic recovery is over the next year. Obviously, we haven't got much concrete to go on yet but there have been ideas leaked which make good talking points (e.g. extending stamp duty holiday, raising corporate tax, "sin" taxes, "green" bonds, etc.)

So I would definitely recommend for people to try and at least gain a surface understanding of the potential factors at play.

• ℹ️
    Reactions: collie_121 and Matt_96

Dheepa

Legendary Member
    Staff member
    Future Trainee
    TCLA Moderator
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    M&A Bootcamp
    Junior Lawyer 43
  • Jan 20, 2019
    If anyone has done a virtual vac scheme before i'd really love some insight. When we are given tasks by current trainee's / associates based on work they are doing at the minute, what sort of stuff could this be? obviously I know this can hugely vary, but I'm just worrying over how difficult the work will be and want a rough idea of what to expect

This is a really difficult one to answer. It really can be anything at all that they want to get you involved with. The most common types of tasks though are preparing a research note, writing a memo to a client, and summarising information to help the associate with their own work. It can be really daunting to go into vacs completely blind but remember that you are allowed and expected even to ask as many questions as you need to gain a better understanding of the work you're doing and what's expected of you. Your trainee buddy is also a really good person to turn to if you want them to look over drafts of your own work. Your supervisor does not expect you to submit a perfect piece of legal analysis, there will inevitably always be gaps and things that could have been done better, but if you do the simple things right i.e. structure, simple clear writing, doing thorough research, then you're already 3/4 of the way to producing quality work imo. Check this thread out for more tips:

Reactions: p9b and LEL

LEL

Legendary Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Jul 22, 2020
    On this topic... any tips for improving on recorded video interviews? I struggle with them a lot
    Hi, I think it's important to practice your answers within the given time frame you have (usually 1m30?), so you're used to that going into the VI.

Prepare your answers as you would for a regular interview, only you're talking to the camera and not a person.

This might sound basic but try to sound interested in what you're saying. A lot of us are thinking "ugh I'm basically talking to myself so why bother", but if you come across as enthusiastic then that will never harm you. Smile at the end of each answer :)

If you screw up, don't panic and then get flustered. Just go back slightly to the start of the sentence, breathe and start your point again.

Speak calmly and slowly! Gives you more time to think about what you're saying, and you won't be so stressed about the timer.

I literally record myself on my phone to assess my tone, my facial movements, where I'm looking etc., so that might be worth doing to see what you can improve on before the real thing.

Hope that helps!

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.