2020-21 Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tarnjeet

Esteemed Member
Oct 20, 2020
Can someone please clarify this for me:

Is there a reason why the application window for TCs is much longer than VCs? Also, is there generally an influx in TC applications in June/July, in the same way there is for VS applications in January?

cmaj

Legendary Member
Forum Winner
  • Sep 18, 2019
    Last year I did 5 trash last minute applications and got past the application stage on 4 of them. I often look back at these applications and laugh at how bad they are.

This year I’ve done 6 applications, well researched, spending days/weeks on them and had people look over them, and I’ve been rejected by all of them post-app.

Given up this cycle and looking to get a different grad job. May look at getting into law again in a few years
    DON'T GIVE UP!!!! Just because it's tough, doesn't mean it isn't worth it. Yes get another grad job if you would like but try again next year! Law is all about being resilient and this is the first test - a test that builds you a lifelong skill!

Reactions: JayB and Ana_M

M1999

Legendary Member
    Nov 28, 2019
    Out of interest how much more difficult have people found this year in terms of successful responses post-apps compared to previous cycles?
    I didn't even know what law firms really did last year, I barely had an answer for commercial law besides 'I don't like numbers' and I got 2 ACs out of 8 applications.... spent the whole year researching every night, learning so much, getting more experience, attending workshops and open days, and made 20 apps and only got one VI and one phone interview (which I both failed). Honestly, I'm starting to think its my age and its more hard for graduates to stand out amongst young ones, or it's the competitiveness but my god this cycle has been hell!

H48

Star Member
    Oct 9, 2020
    Anyone know if Clydes have made their vac scheme dates available? I have an AC with them so would ideally like to know if it clashes with the vac scheme I already have before doing it.

gg332dd

Valued Member
    Apr 2, 2020
    Last year I did 5 trash last minute applications and got past the application stage on 4 of them. I often look back at these applications and laugh at how bad they are.

This year I’ve done 6 applications, well researched, spending days/weeks on them and had people look over them, and I’ve been rejected by all of them post-app.

Given up this cycle and looking to get a different grad job. May look at getting into law again in a few years
    i felt this so much lol literally all my successful apps were rushed with minimum research - while my tailored, polished apps always get rejected lmao

Etudierlaw2022

Esteemed Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Jan 10, 2021
    Hi everyone,
    Just wanted to say this forum has been super helpful this application season. Stay motivated and keep applying once you’ve recovered from rejection!!
    There’s still W&C, Baker, K&E and others who have direct TC applications open.
    I also emailed Links grad rec and they have a summer window for TC apps opening in May (I think) + and a mentoring style scheme for BAME final years.

Waiting for a Latham pfo lmao and JD post-interview but looking on the bright side x
    Does anyone know if you've been rejected for w&c vac scheme if you can still apply to training contract?

cmaj

Legendary Member
    Forum Winner
  • Sep 18, 2019
    Honestly, I'm starting to think its my age and its more hard for graduates to stand out amongst young ones, or it's the competitiveness but my god this cycle has been hell!
    I don't think this is true as graduates are often valued due to their experience, it's just about writing about those experiences in the best way. In a VS offer my interviewer literally said "your experience made you stand out heads and shoulders above and taking those years to build that commercial understanding was what made you a great candidate!" Please also remember that soooooo much luck goes into the decision making and this year has been a particularly tough cycle with an influx of applicants. Things as small as someone not liking your writing style or having a bad day can be the deciding factor. Do not let this year hold you back!

cmaj

Legendary Member
    Forum Winner
  • Sep 18, 2019
    i felt this so much lol literally all my successful apps were rushed with minimum research - while my tailored, polished apps always get rejected lmao
    Omg this is literally my life. Even in uni, essays I wrote over months were given lower marks than those I rushed in a night! I just assumed that I work best under pressure lolol

1966Herts

Feb 25, 2021
    Has anyone else had confirmation of vacation scheme dates with TLT?

I have just started a new job and I am worried about booking annual leave. I have emailed TLT a couple of times (late last week and early today) and have had no response. I am a bit concerned as one of the proposed dates was the end of March and I need to give my line manager as much notice to book time off as possible.

Yes I am in same boat.

I was asked to confirm my preference on the Easter or Summer scheme.

I have heard nothing back

MandyAA

Distinguished Member
    Jan 20, 2021
    Hey, I’m prepping for an AC but I’m struggling to find recent cases the firm has worked on. I’ve been keeping up with their blogs and news but still struggling.

Where do you guys usually go to find recent cases? x

thirdtimelucky

Legendary Member
    Junior Lawyer
  • Nov 12, 2019
    I didn't even know what law firms really did last year, I barely had an answer for commercial law besides 'I don't like numbers' and I got 2 ACs out of 8 applications.... spent the whole year researching every night, learning so much, getting more experience, attending workshops and open days, and made 20 apps and only got one VI and one phone interview (which I both failed). Honestly, I'm starting to think its my age and its more hard for graduates to stand out amongst young ones, or it's the competitiveness but my god this cycle has been hell!
    This is exactly how I feel this round! Including being rejected post-VI by the firm I got to AC at last year 🥲

ibs97

Legendary Member
    Jan 20, 2020
    Hey, I’m prepping for an AC but I’m struggling to find recent cases the firm has worked on. I’ve been keeping up with their blogs and news but still struggling.

i've found that a lot of firms don't name their clients/cases on their experience pages (bc of privacy) but if you go into individual profiles of partners in the dept you're interested in, there'll be a lot more info/named cases which you can then google for more depth.

CareerChanger

Valued Member
    Junior Lawyer
  • Jan 5, 2021

i've found that a lot of firms don't name their clients/cases on their experience pages (bc of privacy) but if you go into individual profiles of partners in the dept you're interested in, there'll be a lot more info/named cases which you can then google for more depth.
    Also, you’d be surprised what a google news search can throw up!

Reactions: MandyAA and Roomba

MandyAA

Distinguished Member
    Jan 20, 2021

Also, you’d be surprised what a google news search can throw up!
    Thank you! ❤️

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.