2020-21 Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

ellens

Feb 24, 2021
Can anyone give me any advice for the voice interview with Addleshaw Goddard, like how many questions what timings there are and what type of questions?? it would be greatly appreciated!!

Kablahc

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Forum Winner
  • Aug 31, 2020
    Out of interest how much more difficult have people found this year in terms of successful responses post-apps compared to previous cycles?
    Last year I made 7 apps, got one VS, rejected post-app for the other 6. This year I made 8, 2 final stages/1 progressed post-app/2 PFO post app/1 PFO final stages/3 waiting. I think my technique severely improved (and I also found this wonderful community ☺️ )

cmaj

Legendary Member
    Forum Winner
  • Sep 18, 2019
    Hi hunnnniiiiieeesssss

I've been seeing lots of PFOs posted on this forum today and so many of you feeling unhappy so of course...
    IMG_3924.JPG
    ...Enter me (in parenthesis)

Please please please do remember that as upset as you feel right now, everything is meant to be and if you keep working as hard as you have done on doing these applications in the first place, you WILL get there in the end!!!!! You have all done amazingly by committing everything to writing your applications during this strange time and I know exactly how you must feel because here is my history of applications:

Year 1: (can't remember how many applications) 3 AC, 1 VS
    Year 2: 8 applications, 1 AC with no VS offer
    Year 3: 10 applications, 7 rejections, 2 VS offers, 1 upcoming AC

In my second year, despite having done a vacation scheme in the summer and feeling like I knew so much more, I had no success at all!!!! It was devastating at the time, particularly as I had been left with no annual leave so had worked non-stop while writing vac scheme apps. By that I mean that there wasn't a single night for months where I left the office before around 10pm, and then I commuted home and continued to write (like I was running out of time)((so sorry, can't stop with these Hamilton references))

I made some serious changes this year to gain more success. Alongside building more experience in terms of events, the key change was getting my applications reviewed. The more eyes the better! I learned that it's much better to fit less content into your applications but fully evidence every point you make, rather than trying to be really enthusiastic with lots of points but not explain them. Further, I think part of it is about mindset. Strangely, you feel more confident in yourself if you go in thinking "if I get something this season then great, if I don't, then nothing lost PLUS I've gained the experience of writing the applications which I can improve on for next year"

If any of you want to have a chat about what to do over the next year while making applications to TCs/VSs next season or just want some general positivity or advice, please do drop me a message. You can all do this so keep going!!!!!

Jason S

Distinguished Member
    Apr 3, 2020
    Out of interest how much more difficult have people found this year in terms of successful responses post-apps compared to previous cycles?
    Last year I did 5 trash last minute applications and got past the application stage on 4 of them. I often look back at these applications and laugh at how bad they are.

This year I’ve done 6 applications, well researched, spending days/weeks on them and had people look over them, and I’ve been rejected by all of them post-app.

Given up this cycle and looking to get a different grad job. May look at getting into law again in a few years

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.