Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
This might not be the best place to post this, but it’s the most popular thread! I was wondering if anyone could just mention some major commercial trends right now? I know that’s a big ask, but I’m trying to consolidate my general commercial awareness and I wanted to make sure I wasn’t missing anything major
examples of what I’m on about haha:
There has been a decrease in demand for physical retail stores due to the pandemic, but an increase in demand for online retail at the same time, with ASOS and Boohoo buying parts of Arcadia and Debenhams respectively.

Due to the electric goals from the EU and also the UK, carmakers have been focusing their efforts to electric vehicles, with many of them setting targets for when all their models will be at least partly electric, like JLR, GM, Ford, but the manufacturer of Mercedes has not done this, as their combustion engine is their main source of income and they claim that they need this in order to fund their electric ventures

(one last example - sorry for how long this post is!)
Big Tech firms have been facing major problems, including issues with the Australian government, who want them to pay news outlets to advertise their news. Also, India has implemented new rules for social media companies after Twitter refused to help hand over social media influencers who were supporting the farmers during the farmers protests. These new rules mean that social media companies must cooperate with the Indian government in similar situations.

I’d appreciate any help - thank you!!
I'd really recommend keeping an eye out for our newsletters as they often cover current news stories and trends. If you are not signed up, you can do so here: The Corporate Law Academy (list-manage.com)

You might also want to look at the content here: Commercial Awareness | The Corporate Law Academy Forum

You might also benefit

cryingoverTCs

Legendary Member
  • Mar 1, 2020
    I'd really recommend keeping an eye out for our newsletters as they often cover current news stories and trends. If you are not signed up, you can do so here: The Corporate Law Academy (list-manage.com)

You might also want to look at the content here: Commercial Awareness | The Corporate Law Academy Forum

You might also benefit
    Thanks, Jessica! I already read the TCLA newsletter (it’s absolutely fabulous) and I also read Watson’s Daily. These are the main sources of my trends above, but I just didn’t want to miss anything 😅

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Thanks, Jessica! I already read the TCLA newsletter (it’s absolutely fabulous) and I also read Watson’s Daily. These are the main sources of my trends above, but I just didn’t want to miss anything 😅
    You ultimately will miss stuff. There is a whole range of things that could be discussed - the relevance of this will vary from firm to firm.

As a lawyer, you will never be an expert at everything and your knowledge only as good as your last learning anyway. Its more about showing an appetite to learn about these topics and an ability to analyse them rather than covering every base possible.

Asil Ahmad

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Forum Winner
  • Mar 29, 2020
    Those who applied for Baker McKenize application VS. In the open day section did you just bullet point the open days that you attended. I am in the process of finishing off their direct training contract application.

Asil Ahmad

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Forum Winner
  • Mar 29, 2020
    Also sorry I forgot to say this before. Happy birthday to TCLA I am so happy for this forum as when I get a rejection there are people here to make me feel better this community is amazing and am proud of it. I would to thank everyone at the TCLA team for this amazing community including the forum team and the amazing trainee solicitors for always answering my questions.

E1998

Distinguished Member
    Feb 17, 2021
    Anyone have any general advice for group exercises for assessment centres? Mostly unsure how this will differ given it is online / I am more worried for it as it is on a video call

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Anyone have any general advice for group exercises for assessment centres? Mostly unsure how this will differ given it is online / I am more worried for it as it is on a video call
    Ask A Graduate Recruiter Anything! | The Corporate Law Academy Forum - post 3413
    Definitive Guide to Assessed Negotiations! *Monday Article Series* | The Corporate Law Academy Forum - specifically about negotation exercises (not all group exercises will be this, but some good general themes in there).

Sebastian Clark

Esteemed Member
    May 5, 2020
    me seeing everyone get an AC in their first/second cycle while I am 2 years after graduation and have never got past app in my 3rd cycle

Inside Out Reaction GIF
    Big mood tbh 💔

• 🤝
    Reactions: OB, AJLegacy and Matt_96
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.