Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
@Jessica Booker I've been wondering if firms ever compare your applications if you reapply? do they ever look to assess if you've developed/progressed since the previous cycle?
Yes, it is feasible depending on their data policy. I often did it pre GDPR to check whether there had been any development since the last application when it was a more borderline decision. Sometimes from the subsequent application it was as a straight yes or no decision, so was only when I was sat on the fence and wondered how much had changed in the last year (especially if that wasn’t evident from evidence on the application) that I would go back and review.

A lot of firms/employers wipe data after 12-18 months though because of GDPR, so maybe the case that the application is no longer available to them.

Reactions: CareerChanger

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
I must be really bad at interviews post VI rejection for AG. Not really sure where I’m going wrong, I think I speak clearly and enthusiastically so it must be what I’m saying is just not good. Does anyone know if there are any demonstrations or model answers of how to answer VI questions?
Unfortunately there won’t be model answers. In fact model answers is often where people go wrong on VIs as it just comes across as predictable/disingenuous

Reactions: Jacob Miller

BorgP95

Jan 31, 2021
I fully expect a PFO post VI for mine -> I didn't slip up or anything, but my answers to some of the questions were a little sus. Especially the one which asked for a fun fact about me.
Yeah I try to stay optimistic with all of the applications but I already preliminarily moved Simmons into my rejection pile....horrific 😂

Andrew M

Legendary Member
Forum Winner
Jan 7, 2020
I must be really bad at interviews post VI rejection for AG. Not really sure where I’m going wrong, I think I speak clearly and enthusiastically so it must be what I’m saying is just not good. Does anyone know if there are any demonstrations or model answers of how to answer VI questions?
Don't be so hard on yourself. It's especially competitive right now and there are *such* small margins between proceeding to the next stage and just missing out. If you continue to create opportunities for yourself - and reflect on what you can improve/do differently along the way - you will be successful.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Thanks jessica, do you know how they mark VIs/what they look for? I feel like I really don’t know how to improve
Unfortunately there isn’t a set answer to that either.

The competencies/strengths/abilities/knowledge a firm looks for will always be different from one another, and what they look for in VIs will be different too. Two firms could ask the same question and one could value what you say much more than the other firm who might value more about how you say it.

ofm

Distinguished Member
  • Jan 14, 2021
    Hey everyone! I really need some help. I'm prepping a presentation for an AC where I have to pitch a prospective client to the law firm. I've got all the reasons for why its a good company and some reasons for why it's a good fit in the law firm, but I can't really figure out how to dig deeper than that.

How would one go about developing reasons for why the company is a good prospective client?

Any ideas would be so helpful!!! Thank you!!!

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.