2020-21 Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

els124

Distinguished Member
Sep 26, 2020
Has anyone else not heard from Freshfields for like weeks, I did my AC like 6 weeks ago lol

I emailed them last week about updating my phone number and they added a little sentence on the end saying I'd hear back by the end of this week. Not sure if that'll be applicable to everyone but hopefully you'll hear by then too :)
I had mine 6 weeks ago too, it's kind of off-putting when it takes so long for them to come back, especially since other firms sometimes do it within 24h

Jacob Miller

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Forum Team
  • Feb 15, 2020
    Wild one, but I'll put it out there for TCLA squad gang. I've got an interview with a small City based firm next week. I was wondering if there's a decent bundle of generic law interview questions that I can do some prep with over the week. I guess why law, why us, dealing with teams, difficult situations are standard but if there are any others, that would be fab.

I think the best prep is always to know my own experiences so I can respond to questions on the fly, but prep never hurts!
    Hey, you might want to check out the interview article linked in my signature :)

WannabeSolicitor24

Legendary Member
    Junior Lawyer 26
  • Apr 14, 2020
    I emailed them last week about updating my phone number and they added a little sentence on the end saying I'd hear back by the end of this week. Not sure if that'll be applicable to everyone but hopefully you'll hear by then too :)
    I had mine 6 weeks ago too, it's kind of off-putting when it takes so long for them to come back, especially since other firms sometimes do it within 24h
    Its interesting that they now take 6 weeks to let people know as last year I heard back the next day! I wonder why they changed...

Reactions: JayC

Jacob Miller

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Forum Team
  • Feb 15, 2020
    Hey everyone! I really need some help. I'm prepping a presentation for an AC where I have to pitch a prospective client to the law firm. I've got all the reasons for why its a good company and some reasons for why it's a good fit in the law firm, but I can't really figure out how to dig deeper than that.

How would one go about developing reasons for why the company is a good prospective client?

Any ideas would be so helpful!!! Thank you!!!
    That sounds unusual - I've never heard of this before; these exercises are generally the other way round i.e., pitching the firm to a prospective client. I could be going mad, though, and it's more common than I thought! Just to double check, that's definitely what's being asked of you?

I mean, in any event it sounds like you're along the right path. I would treat it much the same as how you'd treat a pitch the other way round: find parallels between expertise and client needs, find other example deals or jobs the firm has taken on for clients in a similar space, discuss parallels in values and approach to business/ D&I etc and you can't really go too far wrong in my opinion :)

Reactions: djqb

ofm

Distinguished Member
  • Jan 14, 2021
    That sounds unusual - I've never heard of this before; these exercises are generally the other way round i.e., pitching the firm to a prospective client. I could be going mad, though, and it's more common than I thought! Just to double check, that's definitely what's being asked of you?

I mean, in any event it sounds like you're along the right path. I would treat it much the same as how you'd treat a pitch the other way round: find parallels between expertise and client needs, find other example deals or jobs the firm has taken on for clients in a similar space, discuss parallels in values and approach to business/ D&I etc and you can't really go too far wrong in my opinion :)

Yeah, I thought it was unusual! Its definitely to pitch a prospective client to the firm and explain why they would be a good target client. Really tough...

Thank you so much, that is so helpful!!

Reactions: Jacob Miller

summer207

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Jan 22, 2021
    Everyone at Taylor Wessing’s AC was lovely 😄 but my commercial awareness exercise was a car crash, not feeling hopeful
    Cry Reaction GIF by MOODMAN

Hele25

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Jan 5, 2021
    I’m honestly just exhausted now. I am keeping positive/going to keep working hard until next year but it’s just so disappointing for all the plans I’d made. Does anyone have any advice on how to be proactive/get started early for next years cycle?
    (I do still have 3 firms to hear back from, but I’m not super hopeful)
    Also, this is probably more opinion based but how do people feel about obtaining masters degrees?
    @Jessica Booker do firms value masters or would a more useful option be to take LPC/SQE (whichever)?
    thanks for any advice!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    @Jessica Booker Building on the previous questions, could I ask what are the common VI pitfalls? Thank you :)
    In some ways they are very similar to normal face to face interviews:

- don’t focus on answering the question (either go off on tangents to cover other things they are more comfortable/prepared to talk about, or try to cover other questions to prove other evidence)

- don’t think about how they present themselves. Looking disinterested, closed off body language, poor tone of voice etc.

- overly scripted answers that make you sound like it is a speech rather than a conversation. Makes it comes across as you have learnt something parrot fashion, and can make you seem more disingenuous. This is worse if people are also reading off a script. It’s fine to have “keyword” reminders but don’t rely on reading detailed/scripted answers.

More general advice on what do to attached.

Attachments

• D627EA16-1A13-4112-9133-0A7B95991013.jpeg
      D627EA16-1A13-4112-9133-0A7B95991013.jpeg
      833.4 KB · Views: 43

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    I’m honestly just exhausted now. I am keeping positive/going to keep working hard until next year but it’s just so disappointing for all the plans I’d made. Does anyone have any advice on how to be proactive/get started early for next years cycle?
    (I do still have 3 firms to hear back from, but I’m not super hopeful)
    Also, this is probably more opinion based but how do people feel about obtaining masters degrees?
    @Jessica Booker do firms value masters or would a more useful option be to take LPC/SQE (whichever)?
    thanks for any advice!
    Unfortunately neither a masters nor the LPC/SQE are of value to most firms.

The exceptions will be:

- firms who do not sponsor the courses
    - firms who have a very strong niche and look for people who have developed that niche through academics or work experience

I only suggest doing a masters if you personally want to do it (rather than for job application processes) or if you are very certain it will improve your chances with specific firms you are looking to apply to.

• 🤝
    Reactions: Hele25 and LegalLily
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.