2020-21 Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

AspiringLawyer112

Esteemed Member
Jan 3, 2021
For WBD, I saw an example of the pymetric tests and it looks a lot like the one PwC gave out. Anyone have any idea how to prep for it?

Hey, I have done this test twice for Gowling and PWC. I noticed they don’t care about how much you get right/wrong - they’re testing your strategy, determination, perseverance and motivation to complete some parts of the test. They’re looking at your thinking style too.

I passed the Gowling one - it was the exact same as the PWC arctic shores test

• 🤝
Reactions: InNeedofaTC

jcatherine

Star Member
Feb 23, 2021
Has anyone else still not heard from Ashurst post-app, pretty gutted as I thought my test scores were decent (77 for cognify and 87 for emotify) and thought my answers were okay. I've seen people with lower test scores get ACs so thinking my app must have been pretty bad as I have decent academics and experience :(
im in the same boat got 87 for cognify and 74 for emotify spent a week on the answers and haven't heard back

Reactions: John Travoni

H48

Star Member
Oct 9, 2020
For WBD, I saw an example of the pymetric tests and it looks a lot like the one PwC gave out. Anyone have any idea how to prep for it?
Hey I did it last year and you can't really prep for it to be honest. However, if I'm right the psychometric test isn't a stand alone hurdle that you need to pass, I'm pretty sure I did terribly and I still got an AC so I wouldn't worry about it too much.

jan28

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
M&A Bootcamp
Sep 12, 2019
Sorry if this comes across as insensitive. I’m in a bit of a pickle. Which do I pick: Slaughters vac scheme or FF? (Based solely on conversion rate of VS to TC!!) love both firms equally.
You make them both send a cover letter on why you should choose them 😌 sorry can’t be much help but that’s amazing, congratulations!!

cloud9

Jan 25, 2021
In some ways they are very similar to normal face to face interviews:

- don’t focus on answering the question (either go off on tangents to cover other things they are more comfortable/prepared to talk about, or try to cover other questions to prove other evidence)

- don’t think about how they present themselves. Looking disinterested, closed off body language, poor tone of voice etc.

- overly scripted answers that make you sound like it is a speech rather than a conversation. Makes it comes across as you have learnt something parrot fashion, and can make you seem more disingenuous. This is worse if people are also reading off a script. It’s fine to have “keyword” reminders but don’t rely on reading detailed/scripted answers.

More general advice on what do to attached.
Please could I ask, how do you avoid sounding like you're reading off a script? As there is nobody on the other side it always feels unnatural no matter what to me - whether I prepare a script or not

GK8997

Legendary Member
M&A Bootcamp
Sep 25, 2020
Sorry if this comes across as insensitive. I’m in a bit of a pickle. Which do I pick: Slaughters vac scheme or FF? (Based solely on conversion rate of VS to TC!!) love both firms equally.
Firstly, congratulations you should feel really proud of yourself! I think if you want to roughly work out conversion rates I would suggest looking up both on chambers student, the website has number of VS and TCs per year so you can roughly calculate the conversion rate!

Dheepa

Legendary Member
Staff member
Future Trainee
TCLA Moderator
Premium Member
Forum Team
M&A Bootcamp
Junior Lawyer 43
  • Jan 20, 2019
    Hey guys! I have two vacation schemes in the bag should I be applying to more schemes or TCs ( I'm only anxious because last summer I had one vacation scheme and I did not convert it.

Huge huge congrats! Such an incredible achievement!

I was in a similar position last year and my anxiety about possibly not converting any of my schemes won out so I ended up making two direct TC applications. Definitely worth applying for direct TCs, but give yourself a long break before you do!

LawGrad2019

Distinguished Member
    Feb 19, 2021
    Please could I ask, how do you avoid sounding like you're reading off a script? As there is nobody on the other side it always feels unnatural no matter what to me - whether I prepare a script or not

I'm not a grad recruitment expert, but I've got through all of the VIs I have done and I think it's honestly down to smiling and talking at a nice pace.

In order to stop it sounding script-like, I might say something like 'this is an interesting question - I would probably break it down into two parts' or 'my initial thoughts are ...'. If you stumble, smile, say 'sorry', and go back over what you meant to say. If your answer has reached a nice conclusion a bit early, then press 'stop' rather than seeking to fill the time.

I also take a break in between each answer as my heart is going a million beats per minute once I have stopped recording!

It is a really difficult task and honestly my least favourite part of the process, but just remember that they aren't expecting a flawless performance (if anything it's a bit off-putting to have a robotic, perfect answer), they just want to see a bit of personality shine through as well as some competent answers :)

Dheepa

Legendary Member
    Staff member
    Future Trainee
    TCLA Moderator
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    M&A Bootcamp
    Junior Lawyer 43
  • Jan 20, 2019

Congrats! Such a great position to be in!!! I think Slaughters and FF are incredibly different firms in terms of the work, training, international opportunities etc. I think that since they both tend to recruit heavily from direct TC, conversion rates at both might actually be pretty similar. I'd suggest speaking to some trainees and future trainees about it!

• Love
    Reactions: Daniel Boden and SF1234

hd112211

• Feb 20, 2021
    Hey I did it last year and you can't really prep for it to be honest. However, if I'm right the psychometric test isn't a stand alone hurdle that you need to pass, I'm pretty sure I did terribly and I still got an AC so I wouldn't worry about it too much.
    Did you take it on a computer or smartphone? Do you know if there is any major difference? Thanks!

cloud9

Jan 25, 2021
    I'm not a grad recruitment expert, but I've got through all of the VIs I have done and I think it's honestly down to smiling and talking at a nice pace.

In order to stop it sounding script-like, I might say something like 'this is an interesting question - I would probably break it down into two parts' or 'my initial thoughts are ...'. If you stumble, smile, say 'sorry', and go back over what you meant to say. If your answer has reached a nice conclusion a bit early, then press 'stop' rather than seeking to fill the time.

I also take a break in between each answer as my heart is going a million beats per minute once I have stopped recording!

It is a really difficult task and honestly my least favourite part of the process, but just remember that they aren't expecting a flawless performance (if anything it's a bit off-putting to have a robotic, perfect answer), they just want to see a bit of personality shine through as well as some competent answers :)
    Thanks so much for the advice! :)

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019

sounding like you are reading of a script happens one of two ways:

You read a script
    You practise so much that your answers sounds more like a speech than a conversation.

Your tone and pace (and variety with both of those) will be much more “natural” if you are unscripted.

Dheepa

Legendary Member
    Staff member
    Future Trainee
    TCLA Moderator
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    M&A Bootcamp
    Junior Lawyer 43
  • Jan 20, 2019
    Hey everyone! I really need some help. I'm prepping a presentation for an AC where I have to pitch a prospective client to the law firm. I've got all the reasons for why its a good company and some reasons for why it's a good fit in the law firm, but I can't really figure out how to dig deeper than that.

How would one go about developing reasons for why the company is a good prospective client?

Any ideas would be so helpful!!! Thank you!!!

Just to add to what Jacob has already said, think about commercial issues facing that company as well. Are they likely to grow in size, are there many opportunities in the industry that they can take advantage of, how would the law firm be able to offer its services to help it in these business opportunities. You could also look into who the client you've chosen currently use for representation (which firms make up its legal panel) and consider how the firm you're applying to is better placed to meet the client's needs. Also think about the client's international strategy, what level of support it would need globally and how your firm can meet that!

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.