2020-21 Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

packhorse

Esteemed Member
Jan 12, 2021
yeah so i think its in london when they are going to merge, shares are suspended for the purpose of doing this. In Amsterdam and in the US shareholders have a Redemption Right which means they can exit with their money at this stage, but in the UK they don't, which makes it less attractive from a shareholder standpoint. I think.
One thing I have always wondered is why these firms, which are essentially redundant/non-functioning companies, still listed? Surely for them it is expensive and there are strict regulatory requirements requiring legal counsel etc.? It would be interesting too to know when these firms listed and when they became essentially shell companies- or are the original companies often still functioning companies whose assets are then subsumed by those of the merging firm?

I always find it interesting why more isn't covered about the history of SPAC firms prior to merging/co-listing (whatever the term is!). I would find it interesting to find out what the company did in the first place, why it fell out of favour and why they are still listed! Presumably listing for any firm is quite a big deal (only 1,100 on the LSE I think?) so to be listed but be in a position to be subsumed by another company to facilitate their listing must mean that the original firm has a rather different trajectory than when it initially listed?

Last edited:
  • ℹ️
Reactions: Pierre343

Jacob Miller

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Forum Team
  • Feb 15, 2020
    Hi all! I just wanted to check if I understood something correctly
    With SPACs, what is the reason why firms are going to the US stock markets for these? Is it because of the current UK regulations that mean when the SPAC has identified a target, they can no longer trade? If so, how is it known when a SPAC has identified a target? Do they announce it?

Thank you!

I found the above articles quite interesting on this topic, hope they help :)

WannabeSolicitor24

Legendary Member
    Junior Lawyer 26
  • Apr 14, 2020
    If in doubt, suited and booted is the way to go (well, suited and slippered in the current circumstances, but you get where I'm coming from).
    I'm really confused as well as it says explictly that they "will not enforce a formal dress code policy and this will be left to your discretion" - I was going to go with a smart shirt but not sure if this is too casual??

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    How are people interpreting Debevoise's discretionary dress code for AC? I'm leaning towards suit and tie but don't want to be the only one 😅
    You can always take a jacket and tie off but trying to find one last minute will be much more difficult.

But I’d read this as office wear you could dress up if a client turned up for an unexpected meeting.

Ron Laflamme

Standard Member
    Nov 28, 2020
    One thing I have always wondered is why these firms, which are essentially redundant/non-functioning companies, still listed? Surely for them it is expensive and there are strict regulatory requirements requiring legal counsel etc.? It would be interesting too to know when these firms listed and when they became essentially shell companies- or are the original companies often still functioning companies whose assets are then subsumed by those of the merging firm?

I always find it interesting why more isn't covered about the history of SPAC firms prior to merging/co-listing (whatever the term is!). I would find it interesting to find out what the company did in the first place, why it fell out of favour and why they are still listed! Presumably listing for any firm is quite a big deal (only 1,100 on the LSE I think?) so to be listed but be in a position to be subsumed by another company to facilitate their listing must mean that the original firm has a rather different trajectory than when it initially listed?
    A SPAC is specifically designed/created to acquire a target. Therefore they have no assets or business operations of any kind (prior to acquiring the target company). This is what allows them to list publicly so easily.

Pierre343

Standard Member
    Feb 4, 2021
    I'm really confused as well as it says explictly that they "will not enforce a formal dress code policy and this will be left to your discretion" - I was going to go with a smart shirt but not sure if this is too casual??
    can always have everything within reach and be the last one to turn on your camera! Get a glimpse of everyone else before quickly putting on the jacket 😅

HorsesForCoursesNeighNeighNeigh

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Premium Member
    Forum Winner
    M&A Bootcamp
    Dec 1, 2020
    can always have everything within reach and be the last one to turn on your camera! Get a glimpse of everyone else before quickly putting on the jacket 😅

One of the few benefits of being a woman is avoiding all the suits and ties politics 🤣

JoeF

Star Member
    Dec 23, 2020
    Hi all,

This might be slightly off topic, but I was just wondering whether it's useful to mention on my applications that I'm currently studying towards NY bar (I decided to do that after failing to secure a TC last cycle, but getting a TC remains my ultimate goal - so I would just be dual-qualified if I'm lucky enough to get TC). I'm not sure whether or not to mention this, as, on one hand, it is an extra qualification, but on the other, I wouldn't want law firms to think that I'm already qualified and so no longer need a TC.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.