2020-21 Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi, when people get to AC stage is everyone on a level playing field at that point? Then when partners decide the outcome, do they go based on AC performance only or also consider application/grades etc alongside it?
This will most likely vary from firm to firm - however, it is worth pointing out that if you have reached the final AC stage it is because all of you have cleared a certain bar. This means that (almost certainly) all of those in the AC are of a certain (assumed) ability.

It is unlikely, then, at that point that firms will place much weight on your prior assessments (such as your application), although things like your application might be used as a stimulus in your interview(s). My gut instinct, therefore, is that your performance during the AC will account for approximately 90-95% (if not 100%) of whether you receive an offer, unless, perhaps, you have detailed mitigating circumstances or equivalent in your application form.

tk166

Esteemed Member
Jul 17, 2020
Hi, when people get to AC stage is everyone on a level playing field at that point? Then when partners decide the outcome, do they go based on AC performance only or also consider application/grades etc alongside it?
I think thats where CV blind comes in, might be wrong though. If an AC isn’t CV blind like many of mine weren’t, I feel like the partner will have previous thoughts about you that can definitely impact their view of you/excuse any mistakes you make etc. For the most part though I feel that majority of people that make it to AC will have a similar standard application anyways so no need to stress too much about it

Andrew M

Legendary Member
Forum Winner
Jan 7, 2020
I know this will be the thing to cancel me on here but I genuinely think Lindor is disgusting.
nene leakes whatever GIF by RealityTVGIFs

layla rose

Legendary Member
  • Nov 27, 2020
    This will most likely vary from firm to firm - however, it is worth pointing out that if you have reached the final AC stage it is because all of you have cleared a certain bar. This means that (almost certainly) all of those in the AC are of a certain (assumed) ability.

It is unlikely, then, at that point that firms will place much weight on your prior assessments (such as your application), although things like your application might be used as a stimulus in your interview(s). My gut instinct, therefore, is that your performance during the AC will account for approximately 90-95% (if not 100%) of whether you receive an offer, unless, perhaps, you have detailed mitigating circumstances or equivalent in your application form.
    Ah okay that’s great thank you Neville!

Dwight

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Dec 21, 2019
    5 minutes will be pretty long. Rather than thinking about how long they are in time, think about whether you are really focusing on what is relevant detail to include. Your interviewers are only going to remember so much of what you say, so how do you ensure you cut out the unnecessary/self explanatory/boring detail so your interviewer just remembers the important bit.

Remember your interviewer can ask follow up questions if they want further detail too.

Assuming your telephone interview is probably only going to be 30 mins or so, 5 minute answers would mean they could only really ask you 3 questions once you factor in all the other necessary parts of an interview.
    Thank you for this. I've done it now and yes, you are right, I shortened my answers and focussed on main points only.

Anyone else who has completed the NRF phone interview and would like to chat, my PMs are free. Feel free to slide in haha🤣🤣

matthew.gold123

Standard Member
    Feb 14, 2021
    Hey guys, just got through to the final interview for Mishcon! If anyone has any advice/knows what to expect please let me know!! It’s my first interview 😬 also people who have done the interview, how long did it take for Mishcon to confirm the date of your interview?

has anyone heard back from dwf (london office) for vs after VI? this is for the normal scheme not the one through aspiring solicitors

I still haven't heard back post VI either, did to u hear if anyone had heard back?

LegalNim

Legendary Member
    Nov 14, 2019
    Does anyone have tips to stop yourself waffling in an interview? I feel like once I start talking, I just do not stop until the boredom/annoyance on the other person's face gets to boiling point 😩
    I outline what I'm going to say in my first sentence - then don't say any more.
    So, for "why do you want to be a commercial solicitor?" I would say, "I want to be a commercial solicitor because of the money, the leisurely hours and the look of awe of people's faces when they think my life is like Suits. It's well-known that a career in law pays well compared to most jobs and I would use that money to buy things I enjoy like chocolate, wine and potentially a puppy. This firm in particular pays a shit tonne. Leisurely hours are a major reason why I'm pursuing a career in law. In truth, I enjoy spending my time in bed watching Love Island and so I'd like to pursue a career where that will be facilitated as much as possible. This firm won the Legal Cheek award last year for least amount of work done per lawyer. Since I first watched Suits, I thought it looked cool. I want people to think I'm cool - so I'm going to do what they do. From my extensive research, this firm's offices look most similar to the ones in Suits. So, in summary, the hours, the pay and the prestige are the main reasons why I'm pursuing a career in commercial law, specifically at this firm." (Obviously not the reasons I give).
    I can't give more than the reasons I've said because my opening line said all my reasons. It means I know when I'm done. Then just close off with my line that mirrors my opening line. As I've said on a few posts now, I'm no expert - it's just my own personal strategy.

Chloe L

Valued Member
    Dec 24, 2020
    So, for "why do you want to be a commercial solicitor?" I would say, "I want to be a commercial solicitor because of the money, the leisurely hours and the look of awe of people's faces when they think my life is like Suits. It's well-known that a career in law pays well compared to most jobs and I would use that money to buy things I enjoy like chocolate, wine and potentially a puppy. This firm in particular pays a shit tonne. Leisurely hours are a major reason why I'm pursuing a career in law. In truth, I enjoy spending my time in bed watching Love Island and so I'd like to pursue a career where that will be facilitated as much as possible. This firm won the Legal Cheek award last year for least amount of work done per lawyer. Since I first watched Suits, I thought it looked cool. I want people to think I'm cool - so I'm going to do what they do. From my extensive research, this firm's offices look most similar to the ones in Suits. So, in summary, the hours, the pay and the prestige are the main reasons why I'm pursuing a career in commercial law, specifically at this firm." (Obviously not the reasons I give).
    I can't give more than the reasons I've said because my opening line said all my reasons. It means I know when I'm done. Then just close off with my line that mirrors my opening line. As I've said on a few posts now, I'm no expert - it's just my own personal strategy.
    Brilliant 😂👏🏾👏🏾👏🏾

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    What are examples of written exercises you can be given?
    Could be a range of things:

- you could be asked to write something
    - you could be asked to mark up something
    - it could be a mixture of both of the above

The topics can range from an email or document going to a client, to a contract type document, to something completely unrelated to law and that just assessed your general writing skills.

Reactions: rachelzane101

PF'noooo!

Star Member
    Jan 19, 2021
    Hey,

In case study/written exercises are you supposed to cite which document you got particular information from? I.e.,
    Company X seems to be a more lucrative investment, it reported a 2.4% rise in revenue in Q2 2020 (document 9).

Or is it okay to just say 'Company X seems to be a more lucrative investment, it reported a 2.4% rise in revenue', without citing the particular document I gathered that information from?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hey,

In case study/written exercises are you supposed to cite which document you got particular information from? I.e.,
    Company X seems to be a more lucrative investment, it reported a 2.4% rise in revenue in Q2 2020 (document 9).

Or is it okay to just say 'Company X seems to be a more lucrative investment, it reported a 2.4% rise in revenue', without citing the particular document I gathered that information from?
    Generally always better to explain the source. But think about will your reader will have the information you are referencing.

• ℹ️
    Reactions: Holly

Lawbour

Legendary Member
    Dec 25, 2018
    Ahh this is great advice! FYI might have to steal some of your reasons 😆 😭

jan28

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    M&A Bootcamp
    Sep 12, 2019
    Might not be the most appropriate place to post this but have people heard of Clubhouse? And would TCLA consider making a room on it for users to discuss orally/talk about specific topics on there? Think it’d be great to hear people’s ideas through their own voice but I also get it might conflict with TCLA’s premium services so no worries if not !
    @Jaysen

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.